Yorkshire Gold

Bitter, Caramel, Earth, Nutty, Salty, Vanilla
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
Edit tea info Last updated by Jennifer

• “Well I was going to brew something else, but the man wanted to have a cup of tea with me and he said “none of that fancy stuff. I just want that orange pekoe or whatever it’s called....” Read full tasting note
    yoginiundefined 51 tasting notes
  • “Snow. Again. It would be beautiful if it were December; now, it’s just an annoyance. And I do have to go out in it soon, so something with clout is needed. Love this stuff. A little milk...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1934 tasting notes
  • “Hmmm, is this what you sent me Azzrian?? Anyhow, tried a bag of this tonight. Wasn’t a big fan. It tasted like black tea from my memory, i.e. the not very good stuff. I ended...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 3134 tasting notes
  • “I cannot remember the last time I had this one. Tagless bagged version. Over 3g in each bag. I do recall this used to make a very stout cup. I steeped for 3 minutes, and added a bit of sweetener to...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1691 tasting notes

From Taylors of Harrogate

By Appointment to HRH The Prince of Wales
Rainforest Alliance Certified (Minimum 50% Certified Tea)
Part of the Ethical Tea Partnership

Hooray for the teapot
If you enjoy your tea made properly in a teapot, you’ll love the taste of Yorkshire Gold. When we set out to make this blend, we wanted to make the best tasting tea on the shelf. Inside this bag is tea from ten of the best tea gardens and estates in the world – malty Assams for richness and strength, high-grown Kenyan for body and balance, and top-class Rwandan tea for exceptional brightness and a lovely golden hue. If you love your tea, this is the blend for you.

About Taylors of Harrogate View company

I have guests who love this, and I bought it on a recommendation, but I won’t be repeating it. I love a strong cup of tea, but this is just bitter in the extreme. It looked like a bag full of leavings (I’ve yet to see the full leaf version I’ve heard about). It brews in a snap, I’ll give it that, but as has already been noted, it goes from full to bitter far too quickly. Too much up front tannin, strips my mouth, even with milk. I’ve tried lower water temperatures, filtered water, etc… but I just can’t make a cup that achieves the aura this tea seems to possess.

Finest cup in England. Highly recommended.

This is my everyday tea that I love. It has a nice, strong, black tea flavour with darker hints. Perfect for a tea break and with a bit of milk. Yorkshire gold is a perfect everyday cuppa.

Too harsh, and the taste is pretty muddled. The real use for this tea is just to steep a huge Thermos-ful and add milk and lots of sugar (amazing builders’ tea, voilà!) The caffeine kick is admirable. Four cups of this put my heart-rate up alarmingly one night. I didn’t get to sleep for hours.

I arrived at my girlfriend’s a couple of days ago, only to discover, to my horror, that she’d just run out of decent quality black tea. There’s plenty of excellent green tea to be had, but I do need a cup or two of black per day. So we’ve been drinking this muck since.

It’s absolutely filthy stuff. If brewed extremely briefly, it is possible to get it down. Brewed for more than a few seconds and it’s tannin hell.

What was I thinking expecting loose leaf tea from a tea bag company? Having said that, I think if I can find a fine sieve, this tea will be similar to the bagged version. The price was right at 7.50 for 250g! The size of particle is similar to Twinings English Breakfast. It also tastes better. Little dark right now, so will work on tweaking the brew. By the way, a good tip is that fine teas are much heavier, so use 1/2 as much otherwise you will end up with bitter tea.

I like plain black tea mainly iced, but when I’m in the mood for it hot, I reach for either Yorkshire Gold or PG Tips … neither have any characteristics to me that differ one from the other. They’re both very excellent black teas to have on hand. If for whatever reason I need to use one to ice – which is rare as I have my favorites for iced – I prefer PG Tips just slightly. I do have several breakfast blends I sometimes bounce between. Depends on what I have on hand at the time.

Yorkshire Gold is smoooooth and bold and I love it. No frills, just a delicious blend. Having it on hand is a great addition to your tea collection.

I bought this today at The World Market, probably paid way too much for it too! It’s a decent cuppa, more mellow than Yorkshire red, so don’t expect this to be stronger. Nice malty flavours that don’t have a bitter after taste. Yorkshire Gold is a really good black tea, however, it won’t replace my PG Tips .

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

1) I can’t drink this tea straight. I’m still acclimating to assams for their malty bitterness. I added one Splenda and about a tbsp of unsweetened almond milk. I tried brewing today for 6 minutes at boiling to see how it would affect brewing in cup. Great aroma and great color, as always. This is my morning cuppa.
2) First Taste: Wow. What a taste this rich nutty blend has. I call them tea grounds because they’re so tiny (and so caffeinated) but I love how they bloom as they brew. I get nutty, vanilla, caramel, salty, and a bit of earthiness.
3) Second Taste: Fantastic mouthfeel. I get a bit more bitterness this time around. And I can smell some of that saltiness. I’m still getting that earthiness but maybe a bit less.
4) Final Thought: If you like strong rich teas, you really have to try this tea. It’s sort of famous for its strength (someone once told me it’s twice as strong as regular drip coffee) and that makes it the perfect wake-up juice. And best of all – it tastes incredible. I never go without having this in my cupboard.

Flavors: Bitter, Caramel, Earth, Nutty, Salty, Vanilla

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Windchills of 13 below. Snowing. This calls for a no-nonsense, malty black.

Absolutely. Bundle up! Got a good blankie?

Oh, yeah! I’ve got several good blankies!