Yorkshire Gold

Edit tea info Last updated by tokyohanna

• “Well I was going to brew something else, but the man wanted to have a cup of tea with me and he said "none of that fancy stuff. I just want that orange pekoe or whatever it's called. You, know,...” Read full tasting note
    yoginiundefined 51 tasting notes
  • “Snow. Again. It would be beautiful if it were December; now, it's just an annoyance. And I do have to go out in it soon, so something with clout is needed. Love this stuff. A little milk helps...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1626 tasting notes
  • “Hmmm, is this what you sent me *Azzrian*?? Anyhow, tried a bag of this tonight. Wasn't a big fan. It tasted like black tea from my memory, i.e. the not very good stuff. I ended up dunking my...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2221 tasting notes
  • “I cannot remember the last time I had this one. Tagless bagged version. Over 3g in each bag. I do recall this used to make a very stout cup. I steeped for 3 minutes, and added a bit of sweetener to...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1160 tasting notes

From Taylors of Harrogate

Teas from twenty tea gardens are blended to give Yorkshire Gold the perfect balance of strength, colour, flavour and character. The golden flecks you will see in our loose tea are the hand-plucked tips of the leaves – a sure sign of extra quality.

About Taylors of Harrogate View company

A decent supermarket tea. I bring a few bags of this along when travelling. Resteeping these bags are very popular. I prefer it with a splash of cream and some sugar.

I have guests who love this, and I bought it on a recommendation, but I won’t be repeating it. I love a strong cup of tea, but this is just bitter in the extreme. It looked like a bag full of leavings (I’ve yet to see the full leaf version I’ve heard about). It brews in a snap, I’ll give it that, but as has already been noted, it goes from full to bitter far too quickly. Too much up front tannin, strips my mouth, even with milk. I’ve tried lower water temperatures, filtered water, etc… but I just can’t make a cup that achieves the aura this tea seems to possess.

Finest cup in England. Highly recommended.

This is my everyday tea that I love. It has a nice, strong, black tea flavour with darker hints. Perfect for a tea break and with a bit of milk. Yorkshire gold is a perfect everyday cuppa.

Too harsh, and the taste is pretty muddled. The real use for this tea is just to steep a huge Thermos-ful and add milk and lots of sugar (amazing builders’ tea, voilà!) The caffeine kick is admirable. Four cups of this put my heart-rate up alarmingly one night. I didn’t get to sleep for hours.

I arrived at my girlfriend’s a couple of days ago, only to discover, to my horror, that she’d just run out of decent quality black tea. There’s plenty of excellent green tea to be had, but I do need a cup or two of black per day. So we’ve been drinking this muck since.

It’s absolutely filthy stuff. If brewed extremely briefly, it is possible to get it down. Brewed for more than a few seconds and it’s tannin hell.

to be honest, i did not like this tea the first few tries and it is probably better by the cup than by the pot because over brewing this tea is a not good thing. however, as i have tried several more blends during the last 7 weeks, i have come back to this at least once a week and will continue to do so if for nothing other than value. it is not the most flavorful tea blend around, but it does taste pretty darn good with sugar and milk. plus, it is definitely strong enough to start the engines.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 14 OZ / 414 ML

My house always has this in stock. A very good, high quality black tea that can drunk in any way. If I’m drinking for fun, I often steep this moderately strong, and then add milk and sugar for a nice hot work drink. On days where I have a paper to write or edit, I go through at least 3 to 4 cups a day. On mornings (or nights) where I need to be caffeinated, I steep this very strongly and sip it black. For some odd reason it keeps me awake better than coffee without the headaches, so I like it for this reason.

I’m surprised at some of the lower ratings on here, but most of them seem to be written by people who prefer fruity or chai teas. If you enjoy a simple black tea, this is a great tea to have at home.

A few years back, the water around where they grow the leaves for Assam tea was infested with cholera. Some of the growers were being responsible, and some were being awful, not proving any other water for the tea harvesters to drink. I could not be a part of this, so I wrote all the growers to find out their practices. Taylors was on top of the situation, taking good care of their work force, and not only that, the woman I was in communication with was so kind and pleasant that ever since, just for that reason alone, I have used this tea as my work morning rush-out-the-door tea.

I also happen to love it, and I didn’t realize until I read the comments how much caffeine it has. But as a night owl, that is a plus :)

Bitter tea.. Smells good though.