Yorkshire Gold

Bitter, Caramel, Earth, Nutty, Salty, Vanilla
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Jennifer

• “Well I was going to brew something else, but the man wanted to have a cup of tea with me and he said "none of that fancy stuff. I just want that orange pekoe or whatever it's called. You, know,...” Read full tasting note
    yoginiundefined 51 tasting notes
  • “Snow. Again. It would be beautiful if it were December; now, it's just an annoyance. And I do have to go out in it soon, so something with clout is needed. Love this stuff. A little milk helps...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1787 tasting notes
  • “Hmmm, is this what you sent me *Azzrian*?? Anyhow, tried a bag of this tonight. Wasn't a big fan. It tasted like black tea from my memory, i.e. the not very good stuff. I ended up dunking my...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2661 tasting notes
  • “I cannot remember the last time I had this one. Tagless bagged version. Over 3g in each bag. I do recall this used to make a very stout cup. I steeped for 3 minutes, and added a bit of sweetener to...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1451 tasting notes

From Taylors of Harrogate

By Appointment to HRH The Prince of Wales
Rainforest Alliance Certified (Minimum 50% Certified Tea)
Part of the Ethical Tea Partnership

Hooray for the teapot
If you enjoy your tea made properly in a teapot, you’ll love the taste of Yorkshire Gold. When we set out to make this blend, we wanted to make the best tasting tea on the shelf. Inside this bag is tea from ten of the best tea gardens and estates in the world – malty Assams for richness and strength, high-grown Kenyan for body and balance, and top-class Rwandan tea for exceptional brightness and a lovely golden hue. If you love your tea, this is the blend for you.

About Taylors of Harrogate View company

I have guests who love this, and I bought it on a recommendation, but I won’t be repeating it. I love a strong cup of tea, but this is just bitter in the extreme. It looked like a bag full of leavings (I’ve yet to see the full leaf version I’ve heard about). It brews in a snap, I’ll give it that, but as has already been noted, it goes from full to bitter far too quickly. Too much up front tannin, strips my mouth, even with milk. I’ve tried lower water temperatures, filtered water, etc… but I just can’t make a cup that achieves the aura this tea seems to possess.

Finest cup in England. Highly recommended.

This is my everyday tea that I love. It has a nice, strong, black tea flavour with darker hints. Perfect for a tea break and with a bit of milk. Yorkshire gold is a perfect everyday cuppa.

Too harsh, and the taste is pretty muddled. The real use for this tea is just to steep a huge Thermos-ful and add milk and lots of sugar (amazing builders’ tea, voilà!) The caffeine kick is admirable. Four cups of this put my heart-rate up alarmingly one night. I didn’t get to sleep for hours.

I arrived at my girlfriend’s a couple of days ago, only to discover, to my horror, that she’d just run out of decent quality black tea. There’s plenty of excellent green tea to be had, but I do need a cup or two of black per day. So we’ve been drinking this muck since.

It’s absolutely filthy stuff. If brewed extremely briefly, it is possible to get it down. Brewed for more than a few seconds and it’s tannin hell.

I bought this today at The World Market, probably paid way too much for it too! It’s a decent cuppa, more mellow than Yorkshire red, so don’t expect this to be stronger. Nice malty flavours that don’t have a bitter after taste. Yorkshire Gold is a really good black tea, however, it won’t replace my PG Tips .

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

THE RUNDOWN
1) I can’t drink this tea straight. I’m still acclimating to assams for their malty bitterness. I added one Splenda and about a tbsp of unsweetened almond milk. I tried brewing today for 6 minutes at boiling to see how it would affect brewing in cup. Great aroma and great color, as always. This is my morning cuppa.
2) First Taste: Wow. What a taste this rich nutty blend has. I call them tea grounds because they’re so tiny (and so caffeinated) but I love how they bloom as they brew. I get nutty, vanilla, caramel, salty, and a bit of earthiness.
3) Second Taste: Fantastic mouthfeel. I get a bit more bitterness this time around. And I can smell some of that saltiness. I’m still getting that earthiness but maybe a bit less.
4) Final Thought: If you like strong rich teas, you really have to try this tea. It’s sort of famous for its strength (someone once told me it’s twice as strong as regular drip coffee) and that makes it the perfect wake-up juice. And best of all – it tastes incredible. I never go without having this in my cupboard.

Flavors: Bitter, Caramel, Earth, Nutty, Salty, Vanilla

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Windchills of 13 below. Snowing. This calls for a no-nonsense, malty black.

gmathis

Absolutely. Bundle up! Got a good blankie?

dragondrool

Oh, yeah! I’ve got several good blankies!

This is one of my absolute favorite teas. There’s a small British import shop in town which I occasionally visit, and I knew that they had this in loose leaf, so I had to pick it up. My wife had just bought me a teapot, so I was looking for a good, everyday leaf tea. I had heard good things about this one, but what made me decide to buy it for sure was reading an interview with Nigel Melican. His favorite tea for special occasions the same as one of mine (though I assume he has access to a much higher quality golden tippy Yunnan than I), so I figured we might have similar tastes. He said that Yorkshire Gold was his favorite “everyday” tea, and that it contained Rwandan leaves. This was when I made up my mind. I’ve got friends in Rwanda, and have visited there. I’ve ridden with fifteen other people in a matatu bus meant to hold nine or ten and looked down across the lush valleys filled with camellia sinensis. And I’ve drunk pure Rwandan tea black, and been pleased by the incredible smooth flavor and lack of bitterness. I had to try this tea.

So, we made our way down to Willy’s Emporium to get a bag. Not long after we got home, I fired up the trusty electric kettle, prepared the teapot, and made a pot full of Yorkshire Gold (well, not really full—we figured a six-cup pot would be more versatile, allowing us to have tea alone or with company). I was a bit worried that I’d been building it up too much in my mind. I was pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong.

This really is an incredible tea. It’s strong, full, and malty, and certainly has good kick. And yet, perhaps due to the Rwandan tea, it’s not bitter. Indeed, it has a remarkably brisk flavor in addition to its stoutness. The pour is golden and beautiful, and the aroma is pleasant the whole way through. It takes milk wonderfully, and sugar, too. I see what Mr Melican means—this has quickly become my everyday morning tea (I usually have other tea at work, where I don’t have access to a pot, a kettle, or milk). I’m down near the bottom of the bag now, and am already planning my next trip to the store to replenish my supply.

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

Couldn’t figure out why I wasn’t getting as good of a cup out of the loose leaf as I was from the bags. I think it just boils down to (see what I did there?) the bags being really strong. I usually put one tsp of tea, plus one for the pot with loose leaf, but I think I just need an extra teaspoon or two. This tea is cut very fine, which is what allows it to steep so quickly, but that is a problem with the loose leaf as more of it gets through my strainer. Still, this is the quintessential English tea for milk and sugar.