Yorkshire Gold

Edit tea info Last updated by tokyohanna

• “Well I was going to brew something else, but the man wanted to have a cup of tea with me and he said "none of that fancy stuff. I just want that orange pekoe or whatever it's called. You, know,...” Read full tasting note
    yoginiundefined 51 tasting notes
  • “Snow. Again. It would be beautiful if it were December; now, it's just an annoyance. And I do have to go out in it soon, so something with clout is needed. Love this stuff. A little milk helps...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1705 tasting notes
  • “Hmmm, is this what you sent me *Azzrian*?? Anyhow, tried a bag of this tonight. Wasn't a big fan. It tasted like black tea from my memory, i.e. the not very good stuff. I ended up dunking my...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2244 tasting notes
  • “I cannot remember the last time I had this one. Tagless bagged version. Over 3g in each bag. I do recall this used to make a very stout cup. I steeped for 3 minutes, and added a bit of sweetener to...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1302 tasting notes

From Taylors of Harrogate

Teas from twenty tea gardens are blended to give Yorkshire Gold the perfect balance of strength, colour, flavour and character. The golden flecks you will see in our loose tea are the hand-plucked tips of the leaves – a sure sign of extra quality.

About Taylors of Harrogate View company

A decent supermarket tea. I bring a few bags of this along when travelling. Resteeping these bags are very popular. I prefer it with a splash of cream and some sugar.

I have guests who love this, and I bought it on a recommendation, but I won’t be repeating it. I love a strong cup of tea, but this is just bitter in the extreme. It looked like a bag full of leavings (I’ve yet to see the full leaf version I’ve heard about). It brews in a snap, I’ll give it that, but as has already been noted, it goes from full to bitter far too quickly. Too much up front tannin, strips my mouth, even with milk. I’ve tried lower water temperatures, filtered water, etc… but I just can’t make a cup that achieves the aura this tea seems to possess.

Finest cup in England. Highly recommended.

This is my everyday tea that I love. It has a nice, strong, black tea flavour with darker hints. Perfect for a tea break and with a bit of milk. Yorkshire gold is a perfect everyday cuppa.

Too harsh, and the taste is pretty muddled. The real use for this tea is just to steep a huge Thermos-ful and add milk and lots of sugar (amazing builders’ tea, voilà!) The caffeine kick is admirable. Four cups of this put my heart-rate up alarmingly one night. I didn’t get to sleep for hours.

I arrived at my girlfriend’s a couple of days ago, only to discover, to my horror, that she’d just run out of decent quality black tea. There’s plenty of excellent green tea to be had, but I do need a cup or two of black per day. So we’ve been drinking this muck since.

It’s absolutely filthy stuff. If brewed extremely briefly, it is possible to get it down. Brewed for more than a few seconds and it’s tannin hell.

This is one of my absolute favorite teas. There’s a small British import shop in town which I occasionally visit, and I knew that they had this in loose leaf, so I had to pick it up. My wife had just bought me a teapot, so I was looking for a good, everyday leaf tea. I had heard good things about this one, but what made me decide to buy it for sure was reading an interview with Nigel Melican. His favorite tea for special occasions the same as one of mine (though I assume he has access to a much higher quality golden tippy Yunnan than I), so I figured we might have similar tastes. He said that Yorkshire Gold was his favorite “everyday” tea, and that it contained Rwandan leaves. This was when I made up my mind. I’ve got friends in Rwanda, and have visited there. I’ve ridden with fifteen other people in a matatu bus meant to hold nine or ten and looked down across the lush valleys filled with camellia sinensis. And I’ve drunk pure Rwandan tea black, and been pleased by the incredible smooth flavor and lack of bitterness. I had to try this tea.

So, we made our way down to Willy’s Emporium to get a bag. Not long after we got home, I fired up the trusty electric kettle, prepared the teapot, and made a pot full of Yorkshire Gold (well, not really full—we figured a six-cup pot would be more versatile, allowing us to have tea alone or with company). I was a bit worried that I’d been building it up too much in my mind. I was pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong.

This really is an incredible tea. It’s strong, full, and malty, and certainly has good kick. And yet, perhaps due to the Rwandan tea, it’s not bitter. Indeed, it has a remarkably brisk flavor in addition to its stoutness. The pour is golden and beautiful, and the aroma is pleasant the whole way through. It takes milk wonderfully, and sugar, too. I see what Mr Melican means—this has quickly become my everyday morning tea (I usually have other tea at work, where I don’t have access to a pot, a kettle, or milk). I’m down near the bottom of the bag now, and am already planning my next trip to the store to replenish my supply.

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

Couldn’t figure out why I wasn’t getting as good of a cup out of the loose leaf as I was from the bags. I think it just boils down to (see what I did there?) the bags being really strong. I usually put one tsp of tea, plus one for the pot with loose leaf, but I think I just need an extra teaspoon or two. This tea is cut very fine, which is what allows it to steep so quickly, but that is a problem with the loose leaf as more of it gets through my strainer. Still, this is the quintessential English tea for milk and sugar.

to be honest, i did not like this tea the first few tries and it is probably better by the cup than by the pot because over brewing this tea is a not good thing. however, as i have tried several more blends during the last 7 weeks, i have come back to this at least once a week and will continue to do so if for nothing other than value. it is not the most flavorful tea blend around, but it does taste pretty darn good with sugar and milk. plus, it is definitely strong enough to start the engines.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 14 OZ / 414 ML

My house always has this in stock. A very good, high quality black tea that can drunk in any way. If I’m drinking for fun, I often steep this moderately strong, and then add milk and sugar for a nice hot work drink. On days where I have a paper to write or edit, I go through at least 3 to 4 cups a day. On mornings (or nights) where I need to be caffeinated, I steep this very strongly and sip it black. For some odd reason it keeps me awake better than coffee without the headaches, so I like it for this reason.

I’m surprised at some of the lower ratings on here, but most of them seem to be written by people who prefer fruity or chai teas. If you enjoy a simple black tea, this is a great tea to have at home.