Organic Chai

Black Chai Blend
Tea Bag
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by teataku

From Tazo

Medium-bodied yet full-flavored, with the spicy kick of cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and black pepper.

About Tazo View company

I was pleasantly surprised by the nice medium body brew that I got out of this Tazo teabag. It was a little out of my usual taste preferences, but made for a nice refreshing cup of tea. Then again, there really is very little tea flavor that you can taste through the spices. This blend seems to have been created to be a good middle of the road chai, able to please the most people by being neither too spicy, or too weak, but having a nice bit of zip. Nice to taste a hint of Peppercorn, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Ginger, Cloves, and Star Anise. I am really pleased that I gave this one a try.

Two bags of this with 7 oz water in my travel mug. I have no idea what temp the water is, as I still haven’t invested in a thermometer let alone any tea gadgets beyond a tea ball. So sad. Anyways, I add a splash of Silk French Vanilla coffee creamer and drink in the awesomeness. I love chai. I want to try many more chais, but I plan on keeping this one unless something that DOESN’T take half my paycheck turns out to taste better and knocks the Tazo off it’s high horse. It’s not as good as the local coffee shop’s Chai, but I’m PRETTY sure it’s about a million calories less too, so I’ll take it.

Blech. This is by far THE most underwhelming Chai that I have ever tasted. All I tasted was a slight hint of stale cinnamon and hot water. I love Chai’s! They have some of the strongest flavors of tea…this one mearly tasted of water. I was not happy at all. I was excited in the cold of working with no power to have a nice hot cup of chai (a nearby dunkin donuts was nice enough to provide the patients with hot water and coffee since we have no power at work). I was disappointed. Oh well, I still have ones I love…won’t be buying this again.

This tea gives me heartburn when I drink it without milk or honey/sugar — and for good reason. I’m a desi tea purist, and desi teas need at least milk.

I actually made this on the stove in a saucepan with two Rituals Orange Pekoe and Pekoe Cut Black teabags for a few absolutely wonderful ladies who are also stuck in the hospital here in Anchorage. I intentionally watered it down a bit with milk and let them sweeten it themselves, and it was amazing, especially with our homemade naan and curries. I like how versatile this tea is — and I want to make tea cupcakes with it. Once I get out of Alaska, that’s going to be my first baking project.

Very good quality chai. I’ve tried and smelled other bagged chai’s and none come close to the wonderful aroma and taste of this tea. Not very peppery for those who love pepper. I don’t. Very interesting blend of spices and tea.

Definitely my new favorite tea.

Not going to lie but I had about 3 cups of Chai just today. This may or may not be the start of a lovely relationship with my tea…

You can choke it down. It tastes more bitter than spicy. This is a victim of natural flavour, which is not the same as real natural ingredients. Don’t expect to get a full mug out of one bag.

Wow, didn’t realize this site would create an “empty” log for me if I even clicked on the log link. Well then.

So this is the second Tazo tea I’ve tried at school after the Darjeeling. I finished off the Yunnan I brought from home this morning (turns out my work travel mug does only a minimalist job at keeping liquids hot…or contained in the mug), and wasn’t in the mood for the flavoured black in my backpack, so I went to Starbucks again. I decided on this one because I’ve always been a fan of chai masala, so I figured this one was an even safer bet than the Darjeeling.

(While I was in line, I noticed that SBUX apparently sells a white Tazo tea. SBUX and white tea, really? What a predictable disaster.)

I have to say, first of all, that this one smells absolutely wonderful. It may be that my nose isn’t especially sophisticated, but it smells like what I know to be chai masala. I can pick out the cinnamon and cloves, the anise, a bit of cardamon if I concentrate…very nice. Warm and comforting.

The taste, initially, left a lot to be desired. The spices were fairly strong but indistinct, and the tea base was far too weak, resulting in that rather distinctive bad-chai “toasted water” taste. Yuck. And on top of that, it was quite astringent (do I detect a pattern with Tazo?) which left me with the overall impression of drinking unbuttered toast dipped in black pepper…not quite as awful as I’ve made it sound, but certainly not very pleasant, either. I had to think that I liked the Darjeeling better!

About half-way though the cup, however, I added a bit more raw sugar, and this somehow transformed it. It seemed to bring out the spices in a more balanced way, and the prominent notes became the cinnamon and cloves rather than pepper and toast. Much nicer, which resulted in my mentally bumping up the rating by 10. I still think the base is too weak, though.

Not bad, certainly drinkable if you have enough sugar on hand. I pretty much no longer take tea with milk, but I can see milk mellowing this one into something very pleasant for a quick cup.

(I will have to fix steep time/temperature later, because Steepster apparently hates my aunt’s laptop touchpad mouse, but it’s probably around 82 degrees…and this time I actually saw when the bag hit the water, so 3 and a half minutes.)

Backlogging for the conference I attended last week. They had a sampler box of most of the Tazo teas, and I tried a few of them. This is a decent bagged chai. It was a nice pick-me-up in the afternoon.