Organic Darjeeling

Flowers, Grass
Edit tea info Last updated by Kiaharii

• “Used up the last of the bags in the home stash this morning, though I still have about half a box at work. Of all the bags I've been experimenting with, this is one of the ones I will remember...” Read full tasting note
    __Morgana__ 937 tasting notes
  • “I made a real effort to do a shorter steep on this Tazo Organic Darjeeling filter bag--only about two minutes, rather than the prescribed five--but the beautiful dark amber liquor still ended up a...” Read full tasting note
    Shera Pop 512 tasting notes
  • “This was okay, but I really enjoy Twinings Darjeeling. This was really temperamental to brew. If you don't watch out...it's easy to brew it too long and have it come out bitter.” Read full tasting note
    tiegster 13 tasting notes
  • “My first Darjeeling ever! As I have nothing to compare this to, it was pretty good; there was a nutty undertone that came close to being too bitter, but the buttery aftertaste evened it out. There...” Read full tasting note
    magical1221 10 tasting notes

From Tazo

Darjeeling is a light-bodied golden-colored, full-flavored tea with floral characteristics, hints of nuts and butter, and a sweet, lingering finish. Known as the champagne of teas, this surprisingly potent tea embodies the essence of the Himalayas.

About Tazo View company

Used up the last of the bags in the home stash this morning, though I still have about half a box at work. Of all the bags I’ve been experimenting with, this is one of the ones I will remember most fondly. Miss is probably too strong a word, though. I’m grateful to this tea for making me curious enough about darjeeling to go on to broaden my experiments into loose leaf and undoubtedly better things ahead.

I made a real effort to do a shorter steep on this Tazo Organic Darjeeling filter bag—only about two minutes, rather than the prescribed five—but the beautiful dark amber liquor still ended up a bit bitter for my taste.

The characteristic dried grassiness of darjeeling is in full evidence, along with a subtle floral aroma, but the swallow was not optimum because of the bitterness. It is possible that I should have steeped this bag in a larger volume of water, or perhaps slightly cooler water. I say this because the color of the liquor was a darker shade of amber than I am accustomed to seeing in a darjeeling.

I imbibe darjeeling au naturel—with neither cream nor sugar—so it’s very important that I get the brew just right, since it’s not going to be masked by anything. I’ll try experimenting with the parameters later since I have a whole box of these bags…

Flavors: Flowers, Grass

__Morgana__

I remember this one. It wasn’t bitter for me but taste is so individual. Maybe try cooler water. I just looked up darjeeling instructions on the internet and some places suggest steeping darjeeings at as low as between 150 and 175 degrees.

sherapop

Thanks, Morgana. Yes, I think that I’ll try cooler water next time… Darjeeling is always temperamental for me! ;-)

This was okay, but I really enjoy Twinings Darjeeling. This was really temperamental to brew. If you don’t watch out…it’s easy to brew it too long and have it come out bitter.

gmathis

I’ve never managed to find the sweet spot and it always tastes bitter to me.

EvaPeva

gmathis. . . try some second flush darjeelings, and steep lighter than recommended, those are delightful! also. . .people from that area put milk in their darjeeling (well, from the Niligiri area) . . maybe you should try it that way as well.

Tiegster

gmathis…same here…I can never get the sweet spot with the Tazo Darjeeling. I’ve had others that are much better than this one. I offer this one during Tuesday Night Coffee at my apartment for my less picky coffee and tea drinking friends. They think it’s great.

gmathis

Can’t remember exact name, but Stash had a champagne darjeeling? champagne oolong? that beats Tazo all to Pete.

My first Darjeeling ever! As I have nothing to compare this to, it was pretty good; there was a nutty undertone that came close to being too bitter, but the buttery aftertaste evened it out. There are a multitude of flavours in this, so it’s difficult to determine the exact flavour of this tea. Anyway, I liked this but it certainly doesn’t compare to my darling Earl Grey!

Having this one at school right now, as I’m too lazy and too busy to make my own tea, and what the heck, it’s less than two bucks. Also, my digestive system was protesting the sudden re-introduction of grape pop into my regular diet, and I figured I’d be better off stashing the rest of the bottle in the fridge when I get home tonight and drinking some tea instead… So I’m guessing a bit about the steep time and water temperature, and I added a fair bit of honey in anticipation/dread that this wouldn’t be drinkable (much like my experiences with Mighty Leaf here).

Well, it’s drinkable. It’s not bad, actually. The only solid impression I get is that it’s a bit astringent. Other than that…a “black tea” taste, maybe slightly nutty. It steeps up much darker than the Tazo site claims it should, which somehow doesn’t surprise me.

Meh. There’s nothing objectionable about it, and I would drink it again. Perhaps I would even pick up bags of this for a trip or something. It’s not bad at all. It’s just very meh. I think I might even try the other Tazo teas over the semester, since I’m stuck here away from home and all my bags of tea – the only tragic part of being at school again.

Edit: I feel like I should add that after a few sips of this, I got up and ran to grab some Old-Fashioned Glazed from Timmies. I think that pretty much sums this one up…not good enough to get much enjoyment out of it on its own, but certainly good enough to warrant donuts on the side.

One of my new favorite black teas! :D

First time having a darjeeling tea. Very earthy, bitter flavor. Definitely not for people who prefer fruitier flavors. Although sweetened with sugar, the taste is too strong to be made sweet. May not be the tea for me, but great for those who are fans of black teas.

Pretty good bagged darjeeling. I don’t buy this blend often – for Darjeeling I’ve looked in the Indian tea section.