Golden Monkey

Caramel
High
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop
Boiling 5 min, 30 sec 15 oz / 439 ml

• “I really needed to drink something delicious this afternoon, so I brewed up a big pot of Tazo Golden Monkey. Yum, yum, yum! My current favorite China black tea, bursting with delicious burnt...” Read full tasting note
    Shera Pop 898 tasting notes

From Tazo

A highly prized, full-bodied black tea with caramel & honey notes & an unusually smooth finish.

To begin with, there’s that wonderful name. According to legend, trained monkeys plucked the choicest tea leaves from lofty, hard-to-reach spots. The color descriptor derives from the downy-white leaf buds that turn golden during processing and yield a dark amber liquor that’s rimmed by a golden “halo.” Grown in China’s Yunnan region (“the land of four spring seasons”), Golden Monkey has an aroma of caramelized sugar, a smooth mouth feel and a clean, lightly astringent finish.

About Tazo View company

I really needed to drink something delicious this afternoon, so I brewed up a big pot of Tazo Golden Monkey. Yum, yum, yum! My current favorite China black tea, bursting with delicious burnt caramel flavor coming only from the leaves.

I noticed that the leaves are still tightly rolled in the bottom of the drained pot. Now I’m wondering whether I should be making multiple infusions of this tea. Have I been dumping precious servings down the sink?

Flavors: Caramel

Boiling 5 min, 15 sec 4 tsp 24 OZ / 709 ML
boychik

I always resteep Chinese tea multiple times.

Cheri

It sounds like this one could be resteeped at least another time or two.

Kirkoneill1988

i thought monkey picked was a kind of oolong lol :P

sherapop

I’ll definitely try to resteep this one next ime, boychik and Cheri! I have always simply assumed that black teas are not reinfusable. I’m not sure why. I guess that I never knew that any tea could be multiply infused until I went to Japan, but then I learned that green tea could be. I regarded it as an exception, not the rule. Later, a friend informed me that white tea could be reinfused as well. Now it appears that black tea can, too! ;-)

Cheri

Not all blacks can be. It’s more a trial and error. But everything I’ve read about golden monkey is that it can be.

boychik

I never resteep Darjeeling and rarely Assam. I’m lucky if I brew it right at first place, pretty finicky. Chinese teas are wonderful to resteep. Especially if you do short steeps like gongfu style in gaiwan or even in a cup w/strainer