Awake

Malt
Tea Bag
Edit tea info Last updated by Catherine

• “Had this one again this morning, and I'm lowering the rating a bit. It seems I was a bit overzealous in my first review. Or maybe I had just been deprived a good breakfast tea for so long I forgot...” Read full tasting note
    lovingmy4babies 71 tasting notes
  • “Sitting in Starbucks, having my first bit of tea in months. I got out of the tea habit when it got hot and combined with my complete inability to make iced tea, well, means no good tea for me. ...” Read full tasting note
    Starfevre 507 tasting notes
  • “K Cup version I like the K Cup version better than the bag. It's really intense...bold...robust! Leaves a bit of an aftertaste but a nice tea offering for K Cups if you are up for a very...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “I like this tea because when I forget about it, it doesn't go bitter. The flavors are pretty decent for a bagged tea. Malty, dark chocolatey, sweet, rich. This is a tea I will ALWAYS have in my...” Read full tasting note
    kalmal 786 tasting notes

From Tazo

A breakfast tea of boldness, depth and character, invigorating any time of the day. This eye-opening black tea blend has a full, rich flavor, with hints of dark caramel, malt and black cherries. Perfect with milk.

About Tazo View company

Had this one again this morning, and I’m lowering the rating a bit. It seems I was a bit overzealous in my first review. Or maybe I had just been deprived a good breakfast tea for so long I forgot what they were supposed to taste like. In any case, in between my first cup and this one, I had New Zealand Breakfast, and this one doesn’t even compare. It is a malty, full-feeling black tea blend, but it’s just not on the same standard at the NZ Breakfast. It’s nice, though. So I won’t lower it too much.

I have had this tea before and it hasn’t gotten any better since the last time I had it, and was not helped by my inability to control all the variables, especially considering the fact that I ordered one of the herbal teas and therefore did not pay much attention to the steeping time.

Anyway, this is strong and malty but ultimately more bitter than I like with the amount of sugar that I am willing to put in it. I will make my next refill (for free since I’m a green level member or whatever the term is) the herbal I originally ordered, assuming they are still open. I am spending a lit of time here since I am out of work on a medical leave of absence right now. They also said they would give me free hot water if I brought my own tea, just have to get a thermometer because they use the same temperature for all of them.

At any rate, it’s nice to be back on steepster., even if it is hard to navigate the site on my phone.

Kaylee

Welcome back!

Woah! Long time no see! Welcome back

Angrboda

Good to see you around again, Starfevre! :)

Terri HarpLady

Yeah, glad you’re back.
Total agreement on this tea

Starfevre

Thanks everybody! It’s good to be back! Even if I have discovered that all of my portable steeping paraphernalia that is not a travel mug is at work where I cannot access it without driving a long ways which is a bad idea right now. Found some empty teabags though, so I can make do for a while. Probably make everything taste a little like paper, but easier cleanup.

K Cup version

I like the K Cup version better than the bag.

It’s really intense…bold…robust! Leaves a bit of an aftertaste but a nice tea offering for K Cups if you are up for a very sturdy tea.

I’m not saying I LOVE it but it is better than the bagged version.
higher 70s rating for K-Cup version.

Kristin

I just bought this in teabags for my husband (who likes black tea but doesn’t care whether it comes from a box or not). I saw the k-cups, but they are so expensive in comparison to the boxed tea bags. Now I am wondering if it’s worth getting the k- cups.

TeaEqualsBliss

I thought I would just try it to try it, really. It IS expensive for what it is tho! LOL

De

Where did you find the K cups? There’s a Keurig brewer at work but I have yet to find a tea that comes in K cups that isn’t orange pekoe.

I like this tea because when I forget about it, it doesn’t go bitter. The flavors are pretty decent for a bagged tea. Malty, dark chocolatey, sweet, rich. This is a tea I will ALWAYS have in my cupboard. It’s great when I don’t have much time or I’m feeling lazy and want something tasty.

had this tea at brunch with my friend Emily.
she is the first lady i ever met that drank tea enthusiastically.
and for my birthday, she made me a freakin quilt!! http://instagram.com/p/dUJE4Vo3x7/
i mean seriously!?!?! she’s the awesomest person ever!

i also drank an entire carafe of bellini myself. yo birthday yo.

gmathis

Happy birthday. Love the cheerful quilt colors!

OMGsrsly

That is so awesome!

ashmanra

Awesome! That is a real treasure!

Today I bought my coffee beans at the Starbucks on campus, and they offered me a free cup of coffee. I asked if I could have tea instead and they said sure! so I thought it would be a good opportunity to try the whole leaf version for free!

It is an improvement. Still weak but a touch more flavor. Less bitter but still some bitterness. All in all, a very lackluster tea. Bumping the rating up a bit since it is an improvement over the previous version, but I can’t recommend.

Cofftea

You’re supposed to get any tall beverage- customized to the hilt even if you want.

JacquelineM

In Philly – forget about it!! Half the time they don’t even want to give you the free coffee!! I got this one in NJ at Rutgers University Starbucks and they were super nice.

Cofftea

They have to. It’s store policy. If they give you any trouble, call customer service and report them.

theyhaveways

I keep a teabag of Awake in my wallet, when time needs for me to be ‘AWAKE’ hahaha.

JacquelineM

theyhaveways – sort of like “open in emergency!!!!” tea :)

Having a cup of this with honey and a spoon or two of sugar. The honey really softens the bitterness of this tea. It’s much smoother and heartier to me when prepared this way, plus the shorter steep caused it to be less harsh than the last cup I made. It’s good. I also really enjoy the sweet scent the honey adds to it right before I take a sip.

Thank you Sare for this sample.

The bag itself is filled with finely, somewhat powdered black tea that smells a little dusky and rich.

Once steeped and a drop of milk is added a strong and sweet yet malty tea is created. It’s better than what I was expecting in honesty, it’s natural sweetness is enough to cover the dusty somewhat musky taste that bagged tea has. The malt is also of good strength which is great for those of us that prefer a stronger brew. I can also taste a dark fruitiness amongst the malty rich black tea and there has been no bitterness so far.

This is one of the only Tazo Teas that I would not mind having more of on my shelf. It says what it does on the bag, it’s strong with a good caffeine kick…what more could I ask for? :)

Wonder if the formulation of this has changed…it’s been a while since I’ve had it. (But then, we’re talking out-of-town water and styrofoam cups.) Strong and adequate.

After that Harney and Sons tea this morning, this Tazo tea just does not compete. Sans additions, it is really bitter. With additions, it’s just a weak, noncomplex drink posing as tea. It would do in a pinch, but it’s not something I’ll stock.