Tazo Chai

Chai Tea
Anise, Cinnamon, Cloves, Licorice, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Mandie

• “Brewed up 12oz with 2 full leaf sachets, 2 tsp sugar and 1 tsp milk. Great pairing with my cinnamon swirl coffeecake this morning. Wish I had more coffeecake! I like this Chai blend more and...” Read full tasting note
    Dragonwellluvr 558 tasting notes
  • “Tea backlog from last night: I was watching the Olympics late last night and wanted something spicy. I was feeling lazy and just wanted to use a bagged version of anything I had in my cupboard. ...” Read full tasting note
    yoginiundefined 51 tasting notes
  • “Full Leaf! Ordered a tall double shot 2 pump caramel 2 pump mocha upsidedown latte w/ 2 chai bags topped w/ whip and caramel and mocha drizzles. But I'm sure I didn't say that in the correct...” Read full tasting note
    Cofftea 865 tasting notes
  • “This isn’t as good as my Tazo concentrated chai tea latte mix, but it’s pretty darn tasty for a teabag. Mmm mmm! This is a very satisfying cup with a little skim milk and Truvia added. ...” Read full tasting note
    CHAroma 500 tasting notes

From Tazo

A rich blend of teas and spices (dark Indian black teas, ginger, cinnamon, star anise, cloves, and cardamom) in the style of the hill dwellers of the Himalayas. Mix with milk (or a dairy substitute) for a delicious hot or cold beverage.

About Tazo View company

I’ve always enjoyed Tazo’s chai, despite not beeing terribly thrilled with their other teas. This chai just has the right mix of spices for me – I can distinctly taste the cardamom and cloves and the faint prickle on the tongue that’s the black pepper and a bit of heat from the cinnamon, finished off with the faint licorice taste of the anise in the back of my mouth.

Maybe I’m biased – this was the first chai I ever tasted, though it was in the form of a Starbucks chai latte I seem to recall. But I also think that this is a good cuppa, particularly for a bagged tea.

I was reminded by Cofftea that I had a bag or two of this still in that neverending sampler pack I have. I am used to the Chai Tea Latte from Starbucks, so this was different for me to have it “plain” (no milk). It was such a perfect blend of spices for this clear wintery day and perked me up for the last half of my shift. I didn’t miss the milk at all! And the flavor was consistent through two steepings. Spicy, like a peppery flavor, and well, there’s just something about chai that is delicious. But to be fair, I was having a lot of pepper with my lunch and snacked on a few (ahem) gingersnap cookies today, so maybe I was in a chai kind of mood. I thought it maybe could have used a little sugar, but never got away to get some. But I enjoyed it just the same!

Cofftea

Sometimes I order a chai tea (dirty or clean) instead of a latte w/ different syrups. I like egg nog, mocha, gingerbread, and caramel brulee. But you have to be very careful and emphatically stress “I’d like a chai tea not a latte.” Sometimes I add “no milk, just steeped in hot water”, because they still look at me weird. Steeped in steamed apple juice is also VERY yummy. I make that at home during the holidays.

ScottTeaMan

Could this be the same tea I reviewed? My review is listed under Tazo Organic Chai.

Peggie Bennett

I think it’s the same except for the Organic. This was a couple of years back, before Tazo came out with loose leafs and perhaps before they came out with organics.

I meant to bring several teas with me to Tony’s last night, but got sidetracked, so digging through his cupboard, I found this. It’s pretty tasty, in my opinion. I wish I had some almond milk or creamer with me.

I had this for lunch at work today. I was happy they had Tazo tea. I thought they only carried Lipton. This is pretty good and hit the spot. :)

ScottTeaMan

My favorite bagged Chai tea!

Steep Information:
Amount: 1 teabag
Additives: none
Water: 12 ounces hot spigot water
Steep Time: a little over 5-6 minutes, enough time to get to train stop from store and take out bag
Served: Hot

Tasting Notes:
Smell: cinnamon, clove, ginger
Flavor: ginger, pepper/cardamom, cinnamon, clove, black tea
Body: Medium
Aftertaste: ginger pepper burn, followed by a warm cinnamon and a slight bitter tinge probably from oversteeping
Liquor: dark brown, maybe a little red tint

Probably should not have gotten this so late as now I’ll be up all night, but I couldn’t resist. I do think it would be better with some honey and creme so it would be a proper chai, but if you ask for that they give you the concentrate (my favorite Starbucks drink-Chai tea latte!). I think this would be a nice tea to make chai at home with.

Post-Steep Additives: none

Over-steeped it. Now it kinda tastes like…. bitter chai. A bitter, senile, crazy old chai tea living next door. Protecting his front porch with a loaded shotgun. shudder

195 °F / 90 °C 8 min or more
Meghann M

Oh no…senile bitter and crazy shouldn’t be how one thinks of tea! Hope you have a good next cup of tea!

theKENnection

Hahaha, me too! ;P

Unexpected visit to the parents’ leaves me with options limited to random selection that I left months ago. Note to self to replenish Earl Grey, and maybe even an infuser so I can leave some loose leaf. This tea bag chai is more than acceptable because my parents only have REALLY cheap Chinese supermarket teas which I will drink in a pinch.
I really do feel if you drink green tea for the antioxidants, then the tea quality should be a factor if only for better taste but try telling that to my mum.
Anyway, this chai is nice and strong with strong scent and flavour of cloves and ginger much like a ginger snap cookie. I’ve resteeped twice because it’s my only black tea bag left and the resulting cups were acceptable considering water temp is unknown and was steeped for as long as an IPad can distract me.

Tastes like gingerbread cookies. Surprisingly not bad at all, considering that I have disliked every other Tazo tea so far.

K S

I want to like Tazo, but generally I just don’t.

I have been drinking this and my other bagged teas for now because the teaball I have crapped out on me so I am waiting for my Libre infuser cup to arrive. I hope it shows up tomorrow because I can’t wait to try more tea samples!

This is really not a bad chai tea for a teabag. Its spicy and I can taste the cardamon and cinnamon in it. Its a little peppery and smells good. This is another of my wife’s teas in the cupboard and I need to go and buy some loose leaf chai.