Shui Jin Gui (Golden Water Turtle)

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Barbara

• “Today I finally received my "little" black and oolong adventures from Tea-Adventure. The "little adventures" are sampling packages with samples of all the teas of the specific category (so a little...” Read full tasting note
    Barbara78 59 tasting notes

From tea-adventure

Taste: Subtle fruity flowery, mineral impression with long aftertaste

The Golden Water Turtle is one of the “Top Five Wuyi Rock Teas”.

The tea is famous because of its unique rock hint and special taste. The quality of this tea depends on two factors. Firstly, the growing environment: The rocky, mineral-rich soil composition of the Wuyishan endows the tea a deep and mineral flavor. Secondly, the traditional, heavy roasting it receives becomes integral to the distinctive flavor of this tea, adding the warm flavor of a low temperature, slow-burning, wood ash ember fire to the inherent flavor of the fresh leaf. This most traditional and characteristic firing gives Golden Water Turtle a long, satisfying finish, and helps to keep the flavor deep inside the leaf.

About tea-adventure View company

Today I finally received my “little” black and oolong adventures from Tea-Adventure. The “little adventures” are sampling packages with samples of all the teas of the specific category (so a little black adventure contains samples of all the black teas Tea-Adventure sells). I’m sooo happy. The only downside is that now I have such a great many samples that it’s neigh to impossible to choose :-)

With a previous order I had a sample of this tea and I really really liked it. So therefore this tea is the first on my to-try-list of today.

The taste is sweet, toasty and with a very definite mineral impression. I can’t say I recognize anything fruity floral. According to the description of Verdant Tea (I reckon it’s the same tea based on the name) there should be notes of caramel, hazelnut, elderberry, custard, honeydew and/or orchid. I can’t say I can discern those either. Sometimes I wonder if you can and should compare certain teas with the flavors of known foods. This tea definitely is something totally different from anything else I know and I love it!

It’s going on my to order list.

In the second steep the sweetness increases and becomes nearly caramelized like. I believe a detect a very slight hint of maltiness as well. Overall the mineral impression remains the most dominant feature. All in all, the second steep is just as worthwhile as the first, and I don’t say that often…