Mountain Organic Indonesian Green Tea

Green Tea
Green Tea Leaves
Butter, Fruity, Mineral, Nutty, Vegetal, Bitter, Grass, Seaweed, Baked Bread, Plant Stems, Roasted Barley, Stonefruits, Nuts, Corn Husk, Honeydew
Low
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Scott

4 Images

• “Thanks to *Tea at Sea* for providing me with this lovely sample. As others have noted they have lovely packaging even these samples come in lovely resealable packaging with cute graphics. This...” Read full tasting note
    yyz 368 tasting notes
  • “2/8/14 Sipdown. 4ish g / 12oz/212F/4 min approx. Nice. Tasted like a proper green tea to me - grassy, a little buttery, slightly astringent. ” Read full tasting note
    AnnaEA 84 tasting notes
  • “I have bad news, sadly it is another one of those days where I cannot think of anything witty to open today's tea review. I just found myself staring at the screen and nothing of note came to mind....” Read full tasting note
    SoggyEnderman 322 tasting notes
  • “I LOVE Tea at Sea's teas! The two samples that they gave me are like.. really nice quality. Tea leaves dry are rolled up so tight, and I actually brew my tea in a mason jar (because I'm a cheapo...” Read full tasting note
    jump62359 579 tasting notes

From Tea At Sea

Organic grown in the Halimun Mountains of Indonesia at 800m above Sea-Level. Treated with natural spring water and fresh mountain air. These lightly oxidized tea leaves have a seaweed aroma, slight fruity taste with superior freshness. Steep around 85°C and watch how the leaves slowly unfold to extract their natural flavour. Enjoy!

Steep 1.5-2 tsp for 5-6 min or until the leaves are fully unfolded.

www.Tea-At-Sea.com

About Tea At Sea View company

Thanks to Tea at Sea for providing me with this lovely sample. As others have noted they have lovely packaging even these samples come in lovely resealable packaging with cute graphics.

This tea is tightly rolled like a green oolong. It is not smooth and smokey like a gunpowder green tea, but pellet like light to dark olive nuggets that smell of seaweed, dried alfalfa and a touch of red clover flowers.

I steeped 1 TSP in about 135 ml of water and got 4 good steeps out of it (45, 60, 80, 100s) at about 85°C.

The tea brewed to a nice bright yellow tinged green initially smell in of a light and soft slightly spicy floral with alfalfa underneath, becoming both sweeter and nuttier with later steeps.

The tea itself had mostly a rich smooth taste with the flavour initially more savoury and becoming sweeter and nuttier.

Flavour notes I noted were: slight spinach note, hay, clover, butter, plum, apricot, cream, honeydew melon, choclo ( a type of corn), alfalfa, buttery sweet greens, clover nectar, cooked peach, and chestnut.

Altogether a nice, smooth, and mild green tea.

sherapop

What a note list! ;-)

2/8/14 Sipdown. 4ish g / 12oz/212F/4 min approx. Nice. Tasted like a proper green tea to me – grassy, a little buttery, slightly astringent.

Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 4 g 12 OZ / 354 ML

I have bad news, sadly it is another one of those days where I cannot think of anything witty to open today’s tea review. I just found myself staring at the screen and nothing of note came to mind. It would be best to assume that since the world outside my window is covered in snow that my brain decided to hibernate. Perhaps I have been spending so much time researching lately that my mind fizzled, that means that tonight I will be spending folding stars.

Today’s tea is Mountain Organic Indonesian Green from Tea at Sea. Grown on the Halimun Mountain (800m above sea level) and fed with spring water and mountain air. Very similar to the Mountain Organic Indonesian Oolong I reviewed the other day. In fact at first glance I thought they were the same tea, but on closer inspection the color was a bit more vibrant for the Green tea and the aroma was subtly different. At first I noticed the creamy, sweet, honey notes blending with baking bread and a touch of floral, similar but stronger than the Oolong, but there is a kelp and lettuce undertone giving it more of a vegetal quality. It is less heady and more fresh vegetation than the Oolong.

Once the tea leaves relax in their hot soak (the term agony of the leaf seems so incorrect, it always looks to me like the leaves are relaxing and stretching out to enjoy a hot bath) the aroma is a bit mineral at first with a touch of fresh kelp. It then fades to a mellow sweetness with a very gentle citrus note, like orange blossoms. The liquid without the relaxing leaves has a very faint aroma with honey tones and a very faint hint of vegetal.

At first sip the taste is fruity, like biting into a juicy plum. After the initial fruity sweetness it fades to vegetal tones and ends with an aftertaste of sweet cherries. The more I sip the more little hints of flavor pop through, a bit of mineral here and bit of baking bread there, quite tasty!

Giving it a second visit I notice the aroma of the leaves steeping and the tea is for the most part the same except it has more of a delicate quality. The taste is also more delicate losing most of its fruit notes and leaving subtle sweetness and notes of artichoke. I found this tea fascinating, it was so similar to the Oolong that I tried earlier and yet was different enough that you could clearly tell it was a different tea.

For Blog and Photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/02/tea-at-sea-mountain-organic-indonesian_5.html

I LOVE Tea at Sea’s teas! The two samples that they gave me are like.. really nice quality.
Tea leaves dry are rolled up so tight, and I actually brew my tea in a mason jar (because I’m a cheapo college student and it has the oz. markings already so I know how much water to put in for however much my tea weighs) and THE LEAVES JUST EXPAND SO BIG AND IT’S SO FREAKIN GORGEOUS AND I LOVE IT WHEN YOU SEE NICE AND BIG FULL LEAF TEAS IT’S SO PRETTY. I SEE THAT THE TEAS TAKE UP LIKE NO SPACE AT ALL IN THE MASON JAR, I DO WORK AND MY TIMER DINGS, AND THEN I LOOK UP AND BAM THE LEAVES HAVE EXPANDED AND ALL YOU SEE ARE THE LEAVES EVERYWHERE IT’S GREAT.

This is a sipdown, and I’m partial for it to go. Like it’s a really great quality tea, I’m just not so big on the flavour? It tastes like.. it has a hint of seaweed so I don’t know if I like it all that much. I know that I absolutely love the Black Oolong so when I finally finish off that tea sample, I’ll be quite sad.

Flavors: Seaweed

185 °F / 85 °C 3 min, 30 sec 5 g 14 OZ / 414 ML

wow, took quite a while for the tightly curled leaves to unfurl. definitely 8+ minutes!! although it was past the recommended steeping time i wasn’t worried since this is an organic tea, and in my experience, they tend to have a very clean flavor & aren’t dramatically altered by oversteeping.

the aroma of the infused leaves reminds me somehow of corn. not really getting seaweed, grassy or vegetal notes, although this has a ‘green tea feel’ for sure but not a typical one, at least not for me. if i’m not mistaken, this tea tastes an awful lot like Stash’s Organic Premium Green (one of my favorites!)….the liquor is even the same color. in my cup it’s a light yellow/peridot, but in the tea maker it looked like more of a jade for some reason. the leaves are a rich dark olive green.

ultimately, the flavor is light and clean with an astringent bite, and i feel like there is a predominant corn note, but not a sweet corn. i will say, this tea got increasingly bitter (almost tart) as it cooled down, but i blame my steeping parameters. perhaps it wasn’t necessary for the leaves to unfurl quite so lavishly? 5-6 minutes might have done the trick. but it’s nothing that ruined this experience for me as i quite enjoyed it, and interestingly enough, as i said before, it reminded me of Stash’s Organic, a green tea i am thoroughly impressed with!

my first experience with Indonesian tea. cool!

thank you so much, Tea At Sea for your generosity in sending out free samples for everyone to try!!

Flavors: Corn Husk

I got this as a free sample from Tea at Sea last week. They seem like an awesome company, I actually found out about them through a steepster discussion feed where they said they would send free tea samples in exchange for reviews. I feel like that’s a pretty fair deal, and I’m always happy with free tea.

They sent their Mountain Organic Indonesian Green and Mountain Organic Indonesian Black. I figured I’d start with the green. Overall, it was a perfectly enjoyable experience. It was not by far the best green tea I’ve ever had, but it still tasted great. It actually reminded me a lot of Sleeping Dragon by Adagio, which is kind of my go-to “nothing fancy” green tea.

It had a smooth, buttery nutty taste to it – not grassy or vegetal at all. Towards the end I could KIND OF detect a hint of the fruit notes they claimed, but honestly, it’s really hard to tell.

So, honestly, I probably won’t be buying any more of this, but I was very grateful for the opportunity to give it a try, and I wish Tea at Sea all the best.

Flavors: Butter, Honeydew, Nuts

185 °F / 85 °C 3 min, 0 sec 4 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

Lovely grassy tea. The seaweed notes are especially nice. It must be the same type that they use heavily in China because I can’t stop thinking about my trip to China when I drink this. Quite an enjoyable tea none the less. And somehow, it still tastes good even though I steeped it way too long.

Flavors: Grass, Seaweed

6 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

From the Unflavored TTB.

Method: Test tube steeper. 1st infusion 5 minutes, 2nd 10 minutes.

First I was surprised that the steeping instructions recommended a five-minute infusion. Then I was surprised to see that the leaves were rolled and looked similar to a lightly oxidized oolong. These were perfect to watch in the test tube steeper. Their color change from lightly brown and muted dark green to a green that look alive as the plants in the backyard garden.

I think this one was beginning to fade – I didn’t get much from the dry leaf aroma. The wet leaf aroma has notes of seaweed and rice. The liquor is pale yellow-green and clear. Texture is creamy. Medium-bodied with sweet corn and floral flavors. The aftertaste is citrus-y and kind of prickly. A very interesting green tea.

185 °F / 85 °C 5 min, 0 sec 4 g 6 OZ / 177 ML
Mandy

I did this gongfu style, 1 tsp, 4 oz water, 185 degrees,45, 60, 80, 100 seconds. If you have enough left, its definitely worth a try that way, I haven’t had it recently, but it was my favorite before!

KiwiDelight

I finished the sample, but I’ll keep the idea of having it gongfu style later on.

After reading the description and smelling the tea, I knew I was going to like it. As such, I decided to try yyz steeping parameters, my first time trying the little water short steeping method (what is that style called again?), hoping for a more sort of special process.
1 tsp, 4 oz water, 185 degrees, 45 seconds
Boy oh boy is this good. One of the few teas I’ve ever had that I feel absolutely no desire to add anything to (I think theres been 2, maybe 3 so far). Sort of vegetal, sort of nutty, with a very pleasant mouth feel, almost buttery. I enjoyed rolling the tea around in my mouth and just savoring the flavor.
60 sec steeping
Still delicious and nutty and vegetal, and buttery.
80 sec steeping
More nutty, less vegetal, and I’m getting notes of something fruity. I’m also so of noticing a pleasent sort metallic or maybe mineral sort of taste at the end of the sip. I feel like I’m getting better at detecting notes that aren’t specific added flavors (;
100 sec steeping
Oddly this steeping I noticed more vegetal and less nutty. Still buttery texture. The end of the sip this time is super fresh almost like the feeling of jumping into water, if that makes any since. It’s also more minerally. This steeping really reminds me of the ocean for some reason. I don’t taste seaweed exactly, but it tastes like how swimming in the ocean feels, kind of. I don’t know.
I notice that when I write my tasting notes as I sip, instead of right after I finish, they sound crazier, and make me sound really amateurish, haha. Either way I really enjoyed this tea, and I’m going to have to order more!

Flavors: Butter, Fruity, Mineral, Nutty, Vegetal

yyz

I’m glad you enjoyed it! The brewing method is called Gongfu.
I brew pretty well all my greens this way, even when brewing western style. For some reason 45s seems to be enough to draw out the flavour and prevent bitterness.

Arshness

See I got it. Your taste buds are opposite of mine haha.
You think Chamomile tastes like celery and you LIKED this one haha :)

This one tasted like… seaweed to me >_<

Mandy

Haha you got that right! I tried foxtrot last night and jut was not impressed, sorry to say haha. I still have to backlog it

Arshness

Buuuhhh You don’t love mah favorite >_<
I just can’t believe how far your tastes and mine differ haha.
It’s like RADICAL OPPOSITE XD

Samples Only TTB

BLECH. This tastes like seaweed. I brewed it according to instructions and didn’t oversteep. It tasted terrible. Even with sugar, it was awful.

Another green tea I can’t stand.
It tasted and smelled of seaweed. Yuck. >_<
I even eat nori with rice or sushi but THIS was just … yuuuck.

Shame. Such CUTE packaging ;_;