Mountain Organic Indonesian Black Tea

Organic Black Tea
Baked Bread, Creamy, Dried Fruit, Grain, Hay, Honey, Mineral, Molasses, Butter, Cake, Caramel, Cedar, Floral, Green, Milk, Roasted, Wood, Raisins, Chocolate, Earth, Malt
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

7 Images

• “OK, let's be honest. The first thing I did after opening the envelope was put the sailboat together. Who doesn't love a cool cork sailboat? It is now proudly displayed but not in a bottle because I...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1358 tasting notes
  • “I've been drinking a bit of this since Christmas but never got around to reviewing it. This was part of my Black Friday hoard, I got one of each tea to try and ended up doubling up on this one as...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1118 tasting notes
  • “This tea is really really good! So many awesome things going on - first off, really attractive packaging. Mountain Organic Indonesian Black also smells fantastic while being steeped - the smell...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1056 tasting notes
  • “Thank you for the free samples, Tea At Sea! I also love the little paper/cork/toothpick sail boat that came with the samples. It's sitting on my shelf right now. Usually I don't love Indonesian...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1454 tasting notes

From Tea At Sea

Organic grown in the Halimun Mountains of Indonesia at 800m above Sea-Level. Treated with natural spring water and fresh mountain air. The fully oxidized tea leaves have a complex smoky aroma with a rich, smooth, malty taste of deep forest including hints of cedar. Steep at 100°C.and watch how the leaves slowly unfold to extract their natural flavour. Enjoy!

Steep 1.5 – 2 tsp for 5-8 min or until the leaves are fully unfolded.

About Tea At Sea View company

L&CTTB

This is a nice, easy drinking black tea. Not too malty, but it’s definitely got some maltiness to it. Not too heavy, but it’s got a nice flavor. Not too much of anything, but a good amount of what it is. I enjoyed it.

I am debating on getting some of this one or not. I’m going to get the Indonesian Oolong and Green for sure. I’ve got other blacks I enjoy. My husband also had a cup of this and said it was nice. (He declined a second infusion, but that doesn’t mean anything.)

Lewis and Clarke TTB

When I placed my order with Tea at Sea, this was on of the only teas I didn’t get, so I figured I’d give it a shot when I saw it in the box since I love black teas now.

The first steep is sweet, with notes of honey, molasses, raisins, and something a little manly, cedar?
For the second steep I added a minute to the time. This time there’s some malt, and a slight smokiness in the background.
Added another minute for the third steep. This one is a little less sweet than the first and second, with more malt, cedar and smoke notes than before.

So, I guess I was just tired from how busy I’ve been lately (I’ve barely been home the last few days, which is why I haven’t been posting much), because I passed out on the couch at around 8:30, right after posting my last tasting note. I usually am up until about 3-4 in the morning.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Marzipan

Manly tea! Marco Polo didn’t have this one, we have Noir Black.

Cameron B.

Yum, can’t wait to try this one. :D

Mandy

Marzipan- I think it’s the same thing. I was looking at the two, they smell and look exactly the same. And the tag on the Noir/Black says it’s from Indonesia. I think that it’s just the original packaging from when they only had one black green and oolong.

madametj

Marzipan, they’re the same.

Tea At Sea

Are you guys referring to BAH BUTONG, BOP from Mariage Frères?

This dark oolong-looking tea is very tasty and does end up seeming more like a black than an oolong. My first Indonesian black. A felicitous experience. I steeped the leaves twice, and both batches were very good.

Sipdown (103)! Ooh, I’m getting close to being under 100 for the first time since I went way over on my fall tea buying spree last year. Anyway, I remember having this as a cold brew just a little while ago, so I was very surprised today when I steeped it hot. As a cold brew, it was light, sweet, and refreshing. As a hot tea, it is totally different, but not necessarily in a bad way. It is definitely much bolder (but that could also be due to a different leaf/water ratio). It’s much maltier and has a touch of smokiness that I did not detect at all in the cold brewed version. I think I prefer the cold brew, surprisingly, because it was lighter and didn’t have the smokiness to it. I did quite enjoy the sample from Tea at Sea, but I do not think I will reorder this one just because there are many other straight blacks that I prefer and/or want to try out.

Edit: As the cup cooled down, there was also some tartness to the tea. Interesting.

I’m excited to try a tea that comes exclusively from Indonesia. Although the dry leaf isn’t the prettiest I’ve seen, the scent is sweet and strong. I have to fight the temptation to add milk since I have a feeling it would take milk beautifully. I do want to try this first cup plain to see what this tea is all about!

Sipping… this is so nice and sweet. I really enjoy how simple this cup is.. it’s sweet, smooth and generally a satisfying cup. There isn’t anything unpleasant that gets in the way — no smoke or bitterness. I could see this being a nice replacement for a morning Assam. I think I might try my next cup with milk, but it’s very nice without!

Thank you to Tea at Sea for a sample of this one.

This tea has been hanging out in my countertop basket for a few weeks, and on a whim I picked it up today.

Thoughts on the packaging: It’s quite adorable! I love the blue and the whimsical pictures. I found myself wondering if someone had to hand tie all of those little strings and what they did to deserve being punished like that. Now, here’s a serious question. I only have these little sample thingies and not full sized packages from them. But are they all packaged this way? Because I was dismayed to find that once I cut the top off of the little zip loc baggie, there went the label with the type of tea. I went ahead and used it all in one steeping since there was no way to put it back with the rest of the sample. And boy howdy, was there a lot of leaf! I also wish there was a recommendation as far as steep length and leaf amount on the tag (it just had temp in C).

So anyway, the tea. I went 3 minutes out of habit, although I was really thinking maybe I should cut it short due to the large amount of leaf. There were quite a few stems in there too, and maybe that’s normal for an Indonesian tea, I don’t know.

But damn, I really liked the end result! I sort of expected it to be just another black tea, but it had a unique flavor profile. I wish I could be better at picking out flavors but I sort of stink at it once we get past the really obvious ones. There are so many people on here who seem to be able to say a tea tastes like a 1972 naugahyde and such, but not me. The best I could come up with was that it tasted maybe a little fruity, but dark fruits, or possibly vegetal. I know, I suck. But the tea was great!

yyz

I really liked this one too!

Oh my god.

Oh my god, this tea.

I didn’t read ANY tasting notes on this before I brewed it myself, and my notes look nothing like everyone else’s. Maybe my tastebuds are whack tonight, but if they’re whack I never want to go back. This is hands down one of the best teas I’ve ever tasted.

I used 1.5tsp of leaf for 10oz of water. Steep times were 2min, 3mind, 3min.
The tea liquor is very light. The aroma is fresh, floral and honey-sweet. It’s a delicate, light-bodied tea that exudes the fragrant greenness of springtime. In some respects it’s like an oolong. (Flavors, body, appearance.) I had a hard time believing this was a black tea. It’s honey, fresh, plantlike…then it takes a turn into caramel-drizzled sponge cake. Light, buttery soft. There’s a creamy aftertaste that’s reminiscent of marshmallows. BLEW my mind. It makes me think of a dark-roasted milk oolong. Pure heaven. It coats your mouth with sort of a malty, creamy taste, but without the dark heavy flavors I associate with malt. (Molasses, chocolate, etc.) There is a wood-like undercurrent. Cedar, I think. It’s slightly roasty and drying like a rock oolong. Only slightly, though. (I keep going back to oolong.) For the most part it’s honeysuckle—green and fresh—like spring. I want this tea around forever.

Simply put:
Indescribably lovely.

Flavors: Butter, Cake, Caramel, Cedar, Creamy, Floral, Green, Milk, Roasted, Wood

TheTeaFairy

Mmm, nice. I think I still have this one to review, will have to look now, you’ve made me curious about it.

Cheri

I often get different flavors than others, but if I’m told what to look for, I can find them…sometimes. I like to try a new tea without reading reviews for the first half of the cup, and then skim others notes, and see if I can find the flavors they’re talking about.

Oh god, I’ve been terrible at doing my writing up my reviews for samples. My goal is now to do one a day.

I’m really glad I waited on this one till I got my water filter. I think it would have been completely ruined by my tap water. It was actually quite delicate and sophisticated. I’m a bit zoned out right now so I didn’t get many specific notes. Just a general feeling of refined contentment.

I will try to add more useful information next tasting.

Smooth, a little ‘chewy’ with malt and rich spring earth plus a vague hint of sweetness. Pleasant overall flavor with sustained, mildly astringent finish. Noticing now that Tea at Sea recommends using more than a tsp of tea, will try that next time. Would be happy to be served this tea in a restaurant. Thanks to Tea at Sea for the sample!

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Backlog:

One of the better Indonesian Black teas that I’ve tasted. Thick with malty tones and no discernible bitterness to this tea. It’s just smooth and sweet. It has a nice caramel note that keeps me sipping. The caramel and the malt together remind me of the chewy crust from a freshly baked loaf of french bread.

A lovely and complex tea: notes of wood, a distant smoky note. Warm and earthy. A really good tea.

Read my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/03/22/organic-mountain-indonesian-black-tea-tea-sea/