Mountain Organic Indonesian Black Tea

Organic Black Tea
Baked Bread, Creamy, Dried Fruit, Grain, Hay, Honey, Mineral, Molasses, Butter, Cake, Caramel, Cedar, Floral, Green, Milk, Roasted, Wood, Raisins, Chocolate, Earth, Malt
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

7 Images

• “OK, let's be honest. The first thing I did after opening the envelope was put the sailboat together. Who doesn't love a cool cork sailboat? It is now proudly displayed but not in a bottle because I...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1353 tasting notes
  • “I've been drinking a bit of this since Christmas but never got around to reviewing it. This was part of my Black Friday hoard, I got one of each tea to try and ended up doubling up on this one as...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1118 tasting notes
  • “This tea is really really good! So many awesome things going on - first off, really attractive packaging. Mountain Organic Indonesian Black also smells fantastic while being steeped - the smell...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1055 tasting notes
  • “Thank you for the free samples, Tea At Sea! I also love the little paper/cork/toothpick sail boat that came with the samples. It's sitting on my shelf right now. Usually I don't love Indonesian...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1450 tasting notes

From Tea At Sea

Organic grown in the Halimun Mountains of Indonesia at 800m above Sea-Level. Treated with natural spring water and fresh mountain air. The fully oxidized tea leaves have a complex smoky aroma with a rich, smooth, malty taste of deep forest including hints of cedar. Steep at 100°C.and watch how the leaves slowly unfold to extract their natural flavour. Enjoy!

Steep 1.5 – 2 tsp for 5-8 min or until the leaves are fully unfolded.

About Tea At Sea View company

Thanks for the free sample, Tea at the Sea. It comes with a cork sailboat? I’ll need to make that for my bookshelf. I do like the little sample bags.
It’s something that would look nice a gift shop of a port town.

It smells lovely. I really should have more unflavoured black teas. This has a sweet, malty flavour. Shall have to make some again in the morning.

Boiling 5 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

Mmmm, this smells like chocolate and malt once it’s steeped up.

Tastewise, it’s very malty, with intense honey notes and just a bit of stone fruit. It’s incredibly smooth and despite the richness of flavors and thickness of the cup, the finish feels quite crisp and a bit lemony/citrus.

This is kind of like the love child of a Yunnan and a Darjeeling. And what a beautiful child it is.

Boiling 2 min, 45 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Veronica

That sounds delicious!!!

I’m finally getting around to tssting this lovely tea sample from Tea at Sea. Having tasted it I think it fits perfectly in my collection as a nice afternoon tea when I want something that has the brightness of a darjeeling, but the honeyed cocoa notes of many chinese blacks. It has a nice complexity of brightness, spicyness, sweetness and depth, in a light to medium bodied tea with a creamy and syrupy texture. I will most likely buy some in the future.

The dry leaves have bright sharp note of Darjeeling, and a touch of toast and cocoa and lemon.

They are tightly rolled, dark roasted leaves with some stems.

1tsp/225ml @96°C

3min pretty mid amber orange colour
Scent. Lemon, honey, floral (dames rocket), cocoa, cinnamon, smells a little like scented honey over malt.

Flavour grain cocoa note dissolving into honey blended with a cream note with a touch of light floral, with lemon accent. Smooth texture with lemon honey spice aftertaste and a hint of astringency, thinner texture. I would not add milk. Quite a nice afternoon tea. Kind of like a Darjeeling, blended with a lighter bodied, honeyed Fujian with cocoa notes, with the Darjeeling characteristics in the foreground and the Fujian notes lingering afterwards.

330. Strong honey, cut with lemon, green floral, cocoa, hint of amber and a bit of pepperyness. creamy and light with bright top notes dominating.

Resteeps very well. I look forward to further this evening.

Lovely honey cocoa tempered with bright fruit and floral notes. Very nice afternoon tea.

1 tsp 8 OZ / 225 ML

First Sip Thought: “Down to Earth.”

Smell: The smell is strong and malted. It’s probably one of my favourite fragrances I’ve smelled in a while. It’s almost like I was burning an incense. Hmmm..maybe I should use this tea for tea meditation? ;)

Taste: Before I tasted the tea, I was kind of caught off guard and distracted with the little boat they sent with the teas. Every purchase comes with a little cork sail boat made from half of a bottle cork and a paper sail like in my Instagram photo above. After it is steeped, you are left with a lovely reddish brown colour. I’ve been calling it my “down to earth” tea because of all the rich, earthy flavours I am experiencing. I kind of notice hints of sweetness coming from a caramel or honey taste. I particularly enjoyed this blend because of the surprise flavours I am left with through each sip. The flavours are slightly smokey (which I’m not too crazy about, but glad it’s not over bearing!). You can especially notice that in the after taste. It’s a great tea to try out, and you can play with the packaging. What’s not to love!

www.theteacupoflife.blogspot.com

Finally getting around to trying the black tea that Tea at Sea was generous enough to send my way. It was the one i was most looking forward to out of the green/oolong and this one they sent me. What struck me first about this tea is that the little black leaves look more like oolongs that i drink. However, no oolongy weird smell coming from it so i wasn’t too worried. Brewed this up and the aroma was quite pleasant. This isn’t a super bold tea, but it’s smooth and there’s little to no astringency. On the whole it was a much needed pleasant cup to drink this morning. I’d be willing to try this again and maybe check out the rest of tea at sea’s teas :) thanks for sending the samples my way tea at sea!

Tea At Sea does samples well, and the little cork sailboat is definitely cute! It’s a tasty black tea. It’s got a strong, yummy taste – a little baky, sweet – and went well with my breakfast anpan. Nothing about it that I didn’t like. Happy day… I love Saturdays.

Well! Hello there, Steepsters! I haven’t posted in what feels like years. School work has been taking over my life and I barely have time to make tea. I’ve been sticking to my custom Adagio mix, but today I took 4 tests and didn’t have too much homework so I decided I would try a sample. I remembered that I had this that was mailed a long ago. So, I decided I would give this a shot.

I have not had a straight black tea before, so this should be interesting. The closest thing I’ve ever had to a straight black tea was a bag of Yorkshire gold, but I honestly don’t even count that.

I really enjoy this! It is very smooth and isn’t too overpowering. I am glad I did an extra bit of tea because I think it would have been too weak. I really love that this doesn’t taste earthy. I despise earthy teas. Or maybe I am used to drinking plain green teas that I expect super earthy flavors when I drink a plain tea.

Whatever the case, I really enjoy this tea.

P.s. cute packaging!

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

I really don’t enjoy black teas but I tried this early this morning. It is a robust black tea with smokey, molasses tastes. It didn’t have the bitter after taste that some black teas do and I could tell this one was of good quality but it’s just not for me.

Flavors: Molasses

Finally cracked open the sample package!
I can’t drink black tea without milk and sugar, so I made this with milk and sugar.
The flavor was lovely and strong but it was missing some “high notes” that i have become really accustomed to in chinese teas, so ( to me) it was missing the rounded-ness and wasn’t was grounded as the chinese blacks i am used to.
Other wise it was a nice tea :) .

And now, the final sample from Tea at Sea. And it’s a sipdown, too!

Dry leaf: Dark and crumbly. It had a very tannin-heavy, tea-y smell that took me back to the kind of black bagged teas I remember. I definitely smelled notes of raisins and caramel. Please note that I am NOT a drinker of black teas, so getting a sample from Tea at Sea seemed like a low-risk way to try and expand my tea horizons.

Steep parameters: I’m not a black tea drinker and didn’t want to split the sample up into two steeps in case I didn’t like it, so I dumped the whole sample into a single steep. So: about 5 tsp of leaf to 24 oz of boiling water. Steeped for 3.5 – 4 minutes for the first infusion.

Liquor: The liquor was a rich, deep, dark amber. The smell reminded me of molasses or raisins – thick and dark. However, the taste was very different. I was expecting it to taste fruity and juicy, but instead it was thin, earthy, and smoky – I could totally taste the cedar notes, as others have mentioned.

Verdict: I’m still not a black tea person, but this was an okay tea. However, it has been extremely interesting comparing all three of the Tea at Sea examples that I got, and figuring out how the different oxidation and roasting processes change the flavour profile of the same tea. The green was floral, the oolong was nutty and mineral, and the black was woody and earthy. Definitely an interesting progression.

Flavors: Cedar, Molasses, Raisins