Mountain Organic Indonesian Black Tea

Organic Black Tea
Baked Bread, Creamy, Dried Fruit, Grain, Hay, Honey, Mineral, Molasses, Butter, Cake, Caramel, Cedar, Floral, Green, Milk, Roasted, Wood, Raisins, Chocolate, Earth, Malt
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Zach Guillian

7 Images

• “OK, let's be honest. The first thing I did after opening the envelope was put the sailboat together. Who doesn't love a cool cork sailboat? It is now proudly displayed but not in a bottle because I...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1315 tasting notes
  • “I've been drinking a bit of this since Christmas but never got around to reviewing it. This was part of my Black Friday hoard, I got one of each tea to try and ended up doubling up on this one as...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1083 tasting notes
  • “This tea is really really good! So many awesome things going on - first off, really attractive packaging. Mountain Organic Indonesian Black also smells fantastic while being steeped - the smell...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1044 tasting notes
  • “Thank you for the free samples, Tea At Sea! I also love the little paper/cork/toothpick sail boat that came with the samples. It's sitting on my shelf right now. Usually I don't love Indonesian...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1375 tasting notes

From Tea At Sea

Organic grown in the Halimun Mountains of Indonesia at 800m above Sea-Level. Treated with natural spring water and fresh mountain air. The fully oxidized tea leaves have a complex smoky aroma with a rich, smooth, malty taste of deep forest including hints of cedar. Steep at 100°C.and watch how the leaves slowly unfold to extract their natural flavour. Enjoy!

Steep 1.5 – 2 tsp for 5-8 min or until the leaves are fully unfolded.

www.Tea-At-Sea.com

About Tea At Sea View company

Thank you Tea at Sea, both for the sample and for the perfect excuse to put off doing my taxes (tea has a higher priority). This is the last of my samples and IMHO the best.

The dry leaf is dark green and rolled like an oolong. The leaves took a while to unwrap, so I almost gave the tea a longer steep, but 3 minutes is my standard time and I like to have that as my basis for comparison to other teas.

The aroma was earthy with hints of stone fruit and not overly strong. The taste was dominated by the stone fruit flavor, reminding me a bit of a 2nd flush Darjeeling. The flavor was quite strong, with very little astringency and no bitterness at all. This is a style I like. The finish was mostly just an echo of the fruit but went on for a very long time.

My one complaint is in the packaging. Tea at Sea went overboard with the cutesy package: a re-sealable foil package with the name of the tea on a separate tag tied to the package. But when you cut open the package, the label is removed, so I had to write the names of the teas on the package with a pen. They didn’t really think this one through. I just hope the larger packages that they sell are more practical.

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 1 g 6 OZ / 177 ML
yyz

Mine was tied loose enough that I was able to unknot it and thread it through one hole rather than two. My first instinct was to cut it too. I still have to try the oolong and black. Most people seem to have enjoyed them best so I look forward to trying them.

Samples arrived this week and I am saving them for this weekend when I can take some time to enjoy. However, I have to say something about the wonderful packaging. I put together the little cork boat before I even looked at the packets. And with the cheerful nautical-themed tags and packets, this gets my vote for “most funnest sample packages ever.”

Avast and ahoy—-we’ll dive into ’em tomorrow.

__Morgana__

Now I want to start a tea company called “Talk Like a Pirate Tea Company.” Hehehe.

gmathis

With flavors like Bilgewater and Scourge of the Atlantic?

Awesome! Or perhaps Aiiiiii and Pieces of Eight. LOL

Nicole

Earl Grey with Yarrrghamot.

Anna

Please don’t stop.

Terri HarpLady

I’ll buy that!

OMGsrsly

Dangers from the Deep? Black Pearl?

gmathis

Oh! Oh! Long John Silver Needle!

Long Jing Silver!

Dragon Aye-Aye!

Nicole

You could sell tea tins shaped like treasure chests. Only problem is that the Jolly Roger on food might make people think it is poison. :)

Thanks for the samples! This tea has a fresh smell to it, like cucumbers. Brewed for 2 minutes there’s no bitterness or astringency, it’s light and smooth. There’s a subtle chocolatey flavor. At 3 minutes there’s a nice bitterness. It’s good with nothing added or with sugar and soy milk.

205 °F / 96 °C 2 min, 0 sec 3 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

A full-bodied and flavorful tea with a lovely golden liquor, which is smooth and slightly creamy. It fills one’s mouth with chocolatey and caramel notes, and is evocative a sweeter Chinese black tea. The rolled leaves smell of earth, and, after they’re steeped, of malt.

Today is cold and overcast and rainy. This is the kind of tea that gives one hugs and helps one get through days like these.

Thank you, Tea At Sea, for this sample!

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Earth, Malt

195 °F / 90 °C 1 min, 0 sec 5 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

Received the samples yesterday—a big thanks to Tea at Sea for their generosity! First up was the Mountain Organic Indonesian Black Tea. Back when I was a coffee expert, I really enjoyed Indonesian coffees, so I was curious to try a tea from Indonesia (I think Assam, Darjeeling, and Kenyan were the only kinds of black teas I had tried before, and the Kenyan tea only in a blend). Opening the package, the tea smelled good. Very good. I scooped it out, and it came to just about two teaspoons full. The leaves were nicely rolled, and included some twigs, as well. It’s at times like this, when I come across a tea that might not measure the same as others, that I wish I had a scale, but I decided to just go by amount instead of weight, as I usually do. Boiled water and steeped for a little over four minutes.

The smell of the tea itself was earthy, with perhaps a hint of smokiness. The taste itself was intriguing—very different from other black teas I had tasted. In fact, its slight vegetative flavor reminded me somewhat of a green (but it was definitely still black, retaining that oxidized flavor). Mellow and delicate like a Darjeeling, but still with a bit of a nice kick. Low astringency, very little bitterness, and a pleasant aftertaste. If I weren’t poor, I would definitely buy a tin of this tea (and this will probably be one of the teas I ask for once Christmas comes around again, or if anyone decides to give me a random tea present). Excellent tea!

Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

This has a very fruity and honeyed taste, and a strong aroma! I was taken aback by how strong. It is a bit smokey, but isn’t overwhelming. I really appreciated this free sample, and I really enjoyed this overall!

Boiling 1 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

this is from the sample they sent me….and now i’m going to have to go buy me a tin-full. this is quite good, enjoyed it for my AM tea today – two steepings, no milk and sugar even! although next time, i may try it that way, just to be decadent. at any rate, i’ll write a better tasting note at some point in the future when i have more time…

Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML