Mountain Organic Indonesian Black Tea

Organic Black Tea
Cocoa, Malt, Wood, Hay, Baked Bread, Creamy, Dried Fruit, Grain, Honey, Mineral, Molasses, Butter, Cake, Caramel, Cedar, Floral, Green, Milk, Roasted, Raisins, Chocolate, Earth
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

7 Images

• “OK, let's be honest. The first thing I did after opening the envelope was put the sailboat together. Who doesn't love a cool cork sailboat? It is now proudly displayed but not in a bottle because I...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1412 tasting notes
  • “I've been drinking a bit of this since Christmas but never got around to reviewing it. This was part of my Black Friday hoard, I got one of each tea to try and ended up doubling up on this one as...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1155 tasting notes
  • “This tea is really really good! So many awesome things going on - first off, really attractive packaging. Mountain Organic Indonesian Black also smells fantastic while being steeped - the smell...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1075 tasting notes
  • “Thank you for the free samples, Tea At Sea! I also love the little paper/cork/toothpick sail boat that came with the samples. It's sitting on my shelf right now. Usually I don't love Indonesian...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1523 tasting notes

From Tea At Sea

Organic grown in the Halimun Mountains of Indonesia at 800m above Sea-Level. Treated with natural spring water and fresh mountain air. The fully oxidized tea leaves have a complex smoky aroma with a rich, smooth, malty taste of deep forest including hints of cedar. Steep at 100°C.and watch how the leaves slowly unfold to extract their natural flavour. Enjoy!

Steep 1.5 – 2 tsp for 5-8 min or until the leaves are fully unfolded.

About Tea At Sea View company

I really don’t enjoy black teas but I tried this early this morning. It is a robust black tea with smokey, molasses tastes. It didn’t have the bitter after taste that some black teas do and I could tell this one was of good quality but it’s just not for me.

Flavors: Molasses

Finally cracked open the sample package!
I can’t drink black tea without milk and sugar, so I made this with milk and sugar.
The flavor was lovely and strong but it was missing some “high notes” that i have become really accustomed to in chinese teas, so ( to me) it was missing the rounded-ness and wasn’t was grounded as the chinese blacks i am used to.
Other wise it was a nice tea :) .

And now, the final sample from Tea at Sea. And it’s a sipdown, too!

Dry leaf: Dark and crumbly. It had a very tannin-heavy, tea-y smell that took me back to the kind of black bagged teas I remember. I definitely smelled notes of raisins and caramel. Please note that I am NOT a drinker of black teas, so getting a sample from Tea at Sea seemed like a low-risk way to try and expand my tea horizons.

Steep parameters: I’m not a black tea drinker and didn’t want to split the sample up into two steeps in case I didn’t like it, so I dumped the whole sample into a single steep. So: about 5 tsp of leaf to 24 oz of boiling water. Steeped for 3.5 – 4 minutes for the first infusion.

Liquor: The liquor was a rich, deep, dark amber. The smell reminded me of molasses or raisins – thick and dark. However, the taste was very different. I was expecting it to taste fruity and juicy, but instead it was thin, earthy, and smoky – I could totally taste the cedar notes, as others have mentioned.

Verdict: I’m still not a black tea person, but this was an okay tea. However, it has been extremely interesting comparing all three of the Tea at Sea examples that I got, and figuring out how the different oxidation and roasting processes change the flavour profile of the same tea. The green was floral, the oolong was nutty and mineral, and the black was woody and earthy. Definitely an interesting progression.

Flavors: Cedar, Molasses, Raisins

Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 5 tsp 24 OZ / 709 ML

My second sample from Tea at Sea!

I was most excited by this sample, as it is the kind of tea I like most, light and black. However, I found this tea to be a bit too light. I brewed it for 4 minutes at boiling, and the tea only ended up a light reddish brown color.

The tea leaves themselves are really beautifully rolled, resembling a gunpowder or an oolong, almost, and when I poured the water on them, they released a pleasant earthy aroma. The tea is both very fragrant and very aesthetically pleasing.

As I mentioned earlier (this is a poorly composed piece of writing…), the tea brewed very light in color, and it is also very light in flavor for me. It’s a good tea, and I love the delicious malty afternotes in the sip, but it’s too soft and too delicate for me to appreciate fully. Even though I like more delicate black teas, I like them to have body, and this tea lacks that crucial element for me.

I still have only done one steeping with this tea. I am going to try for a second. I’ll update my tasting note when I do. Overall, I liked this tea a lot, and I so appreciate the free sample. I drink a lot of similar teas that are more suited for my tastes than this one, and for that reason, I like the Ceylon tea by Tea at Sea a bit more. This is a lovely cup, though, and I’m enjoying it immensely.

This resteeped well, and I got a similar pot of tea for my second steeping! I was finished drinking tea by that point in the day, so I didn’t try for a third pot. I’m not sure how it would hold up, since it was so light to begin with.

Thank you Tea at Sea, both for the sample and for the perfect excuse to put off doing my taxes (tea has a higher priority). This is the last of my samples and IMHO the best.

The dry leaf is dark green and rolled like an oolong. The leaves took a while to unwrap, so I almost gave the tea a longer steep, but 3 minutes is my standard time and I like to have that as my basis for comparison to other teas.

The aroma was earthy with hints of stone fruit and not overly strong. The taste was dominated by the stone fruit flavor, reminding me a bit of a 2nd flush Darjeeling. The flavor was quite strong, with very little astringency and no bitterness at all. This is a style I like. The finish was mostly just an echo of the fruit but went on for a very long time.

My one complaint is in the packaging. Tea at Sea went overboard with the cutesy package: a re-sealable foil package with the name of the tea on a separate tag tied to the package. But when you cut open the package, the label is removed, so I had to write the names of the teas on the package with a pen. They didn’t really think this one through. I just hope the larger packages that they sell are more practical.

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 1 g 6 OZ / 177 ML
yyz

Mine was tied loose enough that I was able to unknot it and thread it through one hole rather than two. My first instinct was to cut it too. I still have to try the oolong and black. Most people seem to have enjoyed them best so I look forward to trying them.

Samples arrived this week and I am saving them for this weekend when I can take some time to enjoy. However, I have to say something about the wonderful packaging. I put together the little cork boat before I even looked at the packets. And with the cheerful nautical-themed tags and packets, this gets my vote for “most funnest sample packages ever.”

Avast and ahoy—-we’ll dive into ’em tomorrow.

__Morgana__

Now I want to start a tea company called “Talk Like a Pirate Tea Company.” Hehehe.

gmathis

With flavors like Bilgewater and Scourge of the Atlantic?

Awesome! Or perhaps Aiiiiii and Pieces of Eight. LOL

Nicole

Earl Grey with Yarrrghamot.

Anna

Please don’t stop.

Terri HarpLady

I’ll buy that!

OMGsrsly

Dangers from the Deep? Black Pearl?

gmathis

Oh! Oh! Long John Silver Needle!

Long Jing Silver!

Dragon Aye-Aye!

Nicole

You could sell tea tins shaped like treasure chests. Only problem is that the Jolly Roger on food might make people think it is poison. :)

Thanks for the samples! This tea has a fresh smell to it, like cucumbers. Brewed for 2 minutes there’s no bitterness or astringency, it’s light and smooth. There’s a subtle chocolatey flavor. At 3 minutes there’s a nice bitterness. It’s good with nothing added or with sugar and soy milk.

205 °F / 96 °C 2 min, 0 sec 3 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

A full-bodied and flavorful tea with a lovely golden liquor, which is smooth and slightly creamy. It fills one’s mouth with chocolatey and caramel notes, and is evocative a sweeter Chinese black tea. The rolled leaves smell of earth, and, after they’re steeped, of malt.

Today is cold and overcast and rainy. This is the kind of tea that gives one hugs and helps one get through days like these.

Thank you, Tea At Sea, for this sample!

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Earth, Malt

195 °F / 90 °C 1 min, 0 sec 5 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

Received the samples yesterday—a big thanks to Tea at Sea for their generosity! First up was the Mountain Organic Indonesian Black Tea. Back when I was a coffee expert, I really enjoyed Indonesian coffees, so I was curious to try a tea from Indonesia (I think Assam, Darjeeling, and Kenyan were the only kinds of black teas I had tried before, and the Kenyan tea only in a blend). Opening the package, the tea smelled good. Very good. I scooped it out, and it came to just about two teaspoons full. The leaves were nicely rolled, and included some twigs, as well. It’s at times like this, when I come across a tea that might not measure the same as others, that I wish I had a scale, but I decided to just go by amount instead of weight, as I usually do. Boiled water and steeped for a little over four minutes.

The smell of the tea itself was earthy, with perhaps a hint of smokiness. The taste itself was intriguing—very different from other black teas I had tasted. In fact, its slight vegetative flavor reminded me somewhat of a green (but it was definitely still black, retaining that oxidized flavor). Mellow and delicate like a Darjeeling, but still with a bit of a nice kick. Low astringency, very little bitterness, and a pleasant aftertaste. If I weren’t poor, I would definitely buy a tin of this tea (and this will probably be one of the teas I ask for once Christmas comes around again, or if anyone decides to give me a random tea present). Excellent tea!

Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

This has a very fruity and honeyed taste, and a strong aroma! I was taken aback by how strong. It is a bit smokey, but isn’t overwhelming. I really appreciated this free sample, and I really enjoyed this overall!

Boiling 1 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML