Mountain Organic Indonesian Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Creamy, Floral, Grass, Peach, Sweet, Vegetal, Flowers, Orchids, Baked Bread, Earth, Seaweed, Cream, Honey, Nuts, Mineral, Green Beans
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

3 Images

• “I used a couple ounces more water than intended but the results were good. This is a solid contender for a everyday oolong. The liquor is highly floral scented and a lovely green. The cup is much...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1417 tasting notes
  • “Smoooooth is the first impression. The leaves are dark green and wrap-curled into small beads with tails. I don’t notice much of a smell when I open the package. After brewing 2 tsp to 8oz at 200F...” Read full tasting note
    carol who 389 tasting notes
  • “Well.... I have to say I'm impressed. The tea is delicious. I got this as a free sample which arrived yesterday in a beautiful packaging with the cutest little sailboat. :) Thank you! I'm loving...” Read full tasting note
    Kamyria 125 tasting notes
  • “I received a free sample of this from *Tea At Sea*. Thank you for allowing me to try this tea. This tea arrived at my door in very cute packaging. I received two samples and they were in small...” Read full tasting note
    Teatiff 422 tasting notes

From Tea At Sea

Organic grown in the Halimun Mountains of Indonesia at 800m above Sea-Level. Treated with natural spring water and fresh mountain air. These 35% oxidized tea leaves have a honey milk aroma, light creamy taste with a hint of marine. Wake up the tea leaves and steep around 100°C and watch how the leaves slowly unfold to extract their natural flavour. Enjoy!

Steep 1.5-2 tsp for 5-8 min or until the leaves have fully unfolded.

About Tea At Sea View company

Lewis & Clarke TTB

I figured I’d try the oolong immediately after the green, just so I could compare the two more easily. The leaves look very similar, but I think the oolong has more of a yellow tinge while the green version was more green. The dry scent is different, this tea smells very sweet and creamy with peach notes. I decided to do a 4 minute steep this time since 3 minutes was too short with the green. In hindsight, that doesn’t really make sense since the temperature was higher for this one… lol.

Brewed, this tea smells very creamy and fruity with a slight floral edge. There’s a bit of vegetal wavering about in the background, but it’s not the main flavor here. I think 4 minutes might be too long for some people, because mine has a little bit of a vegetal bite, but I actually really enjoy it this way! It’s not really bitter, but the vegetal flavor is stronger and more grassy than it otherwise would have been. The texture is, of course, creamy and luscious, and there’s a fair amount of peach flavor. The floral comes in at the end, as per usual, to rain on my parade. Lol!

Flavors: Creamy, Floral, Grass, Peach, Sweet, Vegetal

Cheri

I liked this in part because of the floral.

madametj

From what Tea at Sea told me all the Indonesian Oolong, Green, and Black were all harvested from the same bush, just different oxidation levels. That would explain why the leaves look similar :)

L&C TTB

I was not feeling very well by the end of the work day. I left early. I came home and napped. When I woke up, I wanted oolong in my cute clay teapot. This oolong was in the TTB and as generic as it was labeled (it’s old packaging and is just labeled “The Oolong”) but it was the option available, so I went for it.

Now I want more of this tea.

Other teas from the teabox I have enjoyed and I would probably get. This one I will make sure I get some more of.

Short, quick infusions in my clay teapot.

The first few infusions were decent. Green, creamy, nice.

But then.

about the fourth or fifth infusion, things changed. Sweet. Really sweet. Delicious. I rarely get honey like this. Fresh. Floral. SWEET.

So good.

I was getting sloshy, so I stopped and waited a while. Re-warmed everything and infused some more.

Still outstanding.

madametj

I just had some of this yesterday. Good right?!

I did ask them if there was a more specific name for it rather than just “Oolong” and they told me that in China and Taiwan oolongs are named after the region they’re grown in whereas Indonesia doesn’t have a tea history rich enough to do that yet, so it’s just called “Indonesian Oolong.” Learned something new.

Cheri

This one was quite good. Since I’m putting so much back in the box, I’ll probably keep a little bit of this one so I can have it again.

Mandy

What were you’re steeping parameters? I still haven’t tried mine yet.

Cheri

I did my typical gongfu oolong….start with a short rinse, then 25s with very short increases up to about 2 or 3 minutes…then a nice long one if I think the tea can give me something. I think I got this one up to 3.

A gram per oz?

@Mandy For gongfu 8 steeps : rinse,25s,25s,30s,40s,60s,90s,120s,180s

For westerns the website says to rinse, then steep for 5-8 min. with boiling water. I usually do 195 though (with gongfu).

Mandy

I believe I tried the website way and it was a bitter mess. I’ve found that their recommendations are generally terrible.

madametj

yeah that sounded waaaay too long and hot to me, but I’m like hey it’s their tea. lol

Cheri

Yep. I like their tea, but not their recommendations at all. Blah.

Love this tea! Nice and floral and sweet. I think I steeped it about 6 times.

Flavors: Flowers

6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
yyz

I was so tempted by their sale! But, I have a rediculously amount of tea in the house right now.

Ah….I had been saving this for a rainy day – which turned out to be day 1 of 3 days of back to back meetings… Too bad it’s only a sample because it is really good! Heavy on the floral notes, but I like that in a green oolong. It kind of reminds me of an orchid oolong I loved a while back but can’t find anymore. Perhaps this one is a new contender.

Flavors: Flowers, Orchids

Home at last after hot hot dry and then damp and full of pollen and an endless drive (the usual 3-4 hours became 6-7) then we have this weird weather with hot and humid and rain?? Rain in so cal in summer? So I’m having more of this wonderful tea that tastes higher drier and cooler than the climate here. I will have to look for tea drops for next time as I could barely get hot water (never boiling) on this trip. And horrors, my electric tea kettle seems to be leaking from somewhere!

Now, honestly i was a bit disappointed by this tea. I opened the packaging, i was very impressed by the tight rolled leaves and the bright green fresh leaves. However, after the initial brew which often seems to be the most powerful, i really didn’t get much. Almost to the point of just warmed water with a very subtle flavor. I chalked it up to maybe a bit over temp. I tried a second steeping, but to little avail. I am not sure if it was supposed to be as mellow and subtle as it was but i definitely noticed a lighter color but a more pronounced taste. It was very very subtle. I still have more for another try, but i honestly just wasn’t impressed. Maybe after another try i might get a different result, but i am happy i tried it nonetheless.

DELICIOUS. It brews golden green and smells like sweet buttery honey cream. I tried it with and without cream and preferred it without. The taste is light, there’s a bit of a… nutty almost(?) and honey taste at the beginning then it fades to a light, creamy marine taste. Being organic is just a bonus! Wonderful! I highly recommend!

Flavors: Cream, Honey, Nuts

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

It’s fitting to drink Tea at Sea teas with my whale mug! :O Yep, I’m happy with it – can’t you tell?

And I’m happy with this tea as well. The instructions said to steep around 100C, but not for how long, so I went with 2 minutes. I don’t taste the promised honey milk aroma, but I do get floral notes. I re-steeped it for 4, and it’s a little roastier, but still very floral. I can tell that this is a good oolong, but because of the floral notes, it’s not one I would reach for often.

I still am happy I had the chance to sample it. Thanks Tea At Sea!
sipdown (184)

Thanks to Tea At Sea for sending out samples! I like this oolong, it’s got that floral taste but it’s not too strong for me. It was a really light yellow color when steeped the first time.. maybe it wasn’t long enough but I liked the mild taste and could taste a little sweetness. I steeped it a couple more times and it was good.

After half a week of scurry-and-scream (work) and half a week of scurry-fret-panic-no-sleep (parent care), today is a blessing: weather rotten enough to justify staying in and time enough to make a cuppa something to enjoy slowly.

The vendor description calls this oolong " light creamy taste with a hint of marine." I get that, definitely the creamy part; however, my first taste association was sweet white grape juice. It’s not drying in the mouth at all.

Because I failed to completly read the label, I pulled the leaves out well ahead of the 5-8 minute recommended steep time (that’s definitely maritime tea!) but even so, it has a velvety, buttery-rich, texture and is plenty flavorful. Looking forward to the second submersion, cap’n.