Da Hong Pao

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jennkay
195 °F / 90 °C

• “Thank you Tea at Sea for this sample. In the bag it had a strong charcoal smell. Brewed up really rich and dark. Malty, charcoal. I'm not picking up the floral that others got. Maybe it will...” Read full tasting note
    Ubacat 190 tasting notes
  • “Mmm a nice cup of dark oolong. My sister in law gave me a tiny one cup teapot that I had to try. I did multiple brewings of this tea in it. I used approx 2 tbsp leaves to approx 7 oz water. I did...” Read full tasting note
    Nitoo6of6 101 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown (117)! I only had about two teaspoons of this left, and I realized that I've never tried cold brewing a Da Hong Pao before. Given that I love roasty cold brews, I thought this would be...” Read full tasting note
    jennkay19 417 tasting notes
  • “I steeped this Western Style, 1 tsp in 8 oz of near boiling water. I might try this gongfu style in the future, but I don't want to use this tea too quickly, so less tea lets me have more...” Read full tasting note
    arichard 59 tasting notes

From Tea At Sea

Traditional Chinese tea grown in Wu Yi mountains of Fujian. These dark 70% oxidized tea leaves have a light narcissus aroma, complex roasted taste that’s smooth, soothing and delicate to the mind + body. Wake up the tea leaves and discard the first infusion, then steep around 100°C.

About Tea At Sea View company

Thank you Tea at Sea for this sample. In the bag it had a strong charcoal smell. Brewed up really rich and dark. Malty, charcoal. I’m not picking up the floral that others got. Maybe it will come through more in a second infusion. I’m not used to such roasty teas either so the dark roasted flavour could be overwhelming my taste buds. It’s a good tea but I think I prefer the light oolongs.

195 °F / 90 °C

I used approx 2 tbsp leaves to approx 7 oz water. I did a quick rinse of the leaves and discarded the rinse water.
My first brewing was for 30 secs I tasted a hint of roasty flavour that I have come to expect from these dark oolongs but mostly got floral notes with a very slight bitter taste.
My second infusion was for approx a minute and I definitely smell and taste more of the roasted notes, still with a floral and a very slight “bitter” undertone. The colour of the tea is a nice and dark.
My third infusion was for approx a minute and 15 sec I am not getting quite a much roasted flavour as the last infusion but the floral is still there.
I can probably get more infusions out of these leave but that will have to wait until later, as will trying this for an extended brew in my tea glass at work.

Sipdown (117)! I only had about two teaspoons of this left, and I realized that I’ve never tried cold brewing a Da Hong Pao before. Given that I love roasty cold brews, I thought this would be perfect! So I took the last of my sample and stuck it in the fridge for 16 hours. In hindsight, I should’ve taken it out sooner because it was a bit strong, but I never remember to take my cold brews out on time.

Anyway, I’m so glad that I tried this one out as a cold brew because now I love da hong paos both hot and iced. There was that signature sweet oolong flavor with the roastiness of a dark oolong. I think that between this one and the hot version, the cold brew is more naturally sweet.

So, this is good news and bad news. Good news because I love it! Bad news because I’m rapidly running out of da hong pao, and cold brews use up more leaf. Oh well, I’m just going to sit back and enjoy the rest of this one for now!

I steeped this Western Style, 1 tsp in 8 oz of near boiling water. I might try this gongfu style in the future, but I don’t want to use this tea too quickly, so less tea lets me have more pots.
Steep 1: 3 min. The taste profile was roasted and oolong-y. Maybe a little floral. Definitely rich and smooth with a pleasant astringent bitterness. Yum! This is definitely a high quality tea with a depth of flavor. It required attention, too. I did not want to just sip it and ignore it, it kept catching my attention!
Steep 2: 3 min. Flavors still strong – unchanged, except a touch less better and less malty. But, the flavors were still smooth and it still had a rich quality to it.
Steep 3: 3 min, 30 sec. Significantly lighter in both color and flavor. There is a touch more of a floral taste to this steeping, but overall, the flavor is a bit washed out. I left part of it in the pot to steep longer, and it came out better, but just a little astringent.
Steep 4: 5+ min. Light in color, a pleasant pale gold. Very light in flavor – pretty much just a whisper. I think I need to use more tea leaves to get more steepings. Still pleasant, though, and not bitter.
I really love this tea. It is my first experience with a Da Hong Pao, and I look forward to trying more.