Original Spice Tea

Chai Herbal Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “So I asked the nice sales person to show me the chai's they had.. and he started to rave about this one. I had already gone in there dead set on picking up the marsala chai (is that the name of...” Read full tasting note
    lynne-tea 240 tasting notes
  • “I prepared this herbal infusion in my tupperware glass teapot with a metal infuser. I drank it "black" with no added milk, sweetener or lemon. Uninfused "Leaf": The spices are all cut to a...” Read full tasting note
    ramallamas 1 tasting notes

From Tea Desire

Ingredients: cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves and black pepper.

Formerly named Yoga Tea.

About Tea Desire View company

So I asked the nice sales person to show me the chai’s they had.. and he started to rave about this one. I had already gone in there dead set on picking up the marsala chai (is that the name of it?) from them, but then got sidetracked into this tea instead (as he said.. I can mix it with whatever I want).

When I was digging some of the tisane out to boil for a while, I realized there really wasn’t very much to this tea at all. at all. As in I just wasted my money on cinnamon bits pretty much. I ended up adding extra tricolored pepper corns, ginger, star anise, and cardamom because the tisane was so boring looking.

It didn’t help. I boiled that tea for 40 minutes and it was sooooo delicate. So delicate. Which to me is the exact opposite of what a chai should be. By the time I added my almond milk (unflavoured and unsweeted) and a little sugar (only way I like chai hehe).. I could barely taste the flavours of the chai. I proceeded to try to boil the water off even more so it would be even more concentrated…still didn’t work.

Safe to say this is not the chai for me and I am still dreaming of the Republic of Tea’s chai. sigh

Boiling 8 min or more
Alphakitty

I hate wussy chai. I can handle lighter ones that are more floral/fruity as long as there’s still that bite of spice, but a weak chai is such a disappointment.

Lynne-tea

It really is. I wanted to be swooped away with spices.. not watery ‘chai’. Such a silly for getting caught up in his suggestion for this tea.

Fjellrev

That sucks. This one always smelled boring to me. Glad I never bothered getting it.

Lynne-tea

I know! It smelled boring to me as well, but he was admit that I would be swept away. So not the case. I am going to promise myself not to get caught up in the words of a salesperson, but rather my own preference (which may or may not be influenced by Steepster haha!)

Kittenna

I have the Masala Chai (and Apricot Chai) from Tea Desire. I find the masala chai ok, but it doesn’t hold up to milk terribly well. The apricot chai is completely different (I wouldn’t add milk to it) and I prefer it :)

Lynne-tea

Ah perfect! Thanks for your input Krystaleyn. I love milk in my chais so I am happy to learn of that. And I was wondering about the apricot chai, but decided to try and stick with a straight normal chai first… I will have to check it out =)

Kittenna

Lynne-tea – if you’d like and I can fit them in, I can pop both or either into my swap pkg to you. Just tack it into a PM in our thread so I don’t forget. I don’t know if Tea Desire sells samples like David’s.

I drank it “black” with no added milk, sweetener or lemon.

Uninfused “Leaf”: The spices are all cut to a very consistent size. There is a bit of dust covering the walls of the tin. The smell is very spicy! There isn’t one spice that really jumps out at me; everything blends nicely.

Infusion: The liquor is a nice orangey-brown. When I poured the water in, it created a foamy “head” but that disappeared after a few seconds. There is a bit of dustiness in the bottom of the pot and I think some of the black pepper snuck through my infuser. The aroma is predominantly cardamom and cinnamon, and this definitely translates into the taste. The pepper quickly jumps in and together with the ginger create a very spicy beverage!

Overall I really enjoyed this tea. I think it would be a great base to use for “home-made” chai and would be nice with a little bit of milk and sugar. It was very spicy but I think the spiciness would allow it to pair nicely with pumpkin pie/carrot cake and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
I’m not usually a huge chai fan, but this one is definitely one of the top chais that I’ve tried.

tigerlilly13

I enjoy this tea too. Its completely herbal, with no actual tea, just spices! Traditional spices used to make chai. I think it lives up to its name, its a nice tea to complement yoga, either before or after!