Milky Oolong

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian

From Tea Desire

Amazing when paired with Irish Cream. Smooth, milky, just delicious.

About Tea Desire View company

Sipdown (192/194)!

Finally, all gone! Out of cupboard, out of mind! So…

No more milk oolong for a while – they’re just NOT my thing.

VariaTEA

So…remember when I had about 100 teas less than you? That isn’t happening anymore :(

Also, milk oolongs were not for me either. I think the only one I would consider trying is the Mandala one since it seems to be such a popular option on here. If I can’t get through that, it is probably fair to say I won’t be able to get through any version of it.

Fjellrev

I’m starting to get a little milk oolong’d out myself.

TeaKlutz

I’m not a big milk oolong person either.

8th tea of Christmas!

This was interesting because it’s not really like a milk oolong, it’s more like a dulce de leche oolong. Not really milky, but kind of sweet more in the sense of condensed milk and caramelly. I really liked it though.

I wonder how much it costs to ship here, because the taste of this is exactly what I have always wanted, but as salted caramel. I feel like this has the caramel flavor I want although I haven’t ever bothered to actually taste many other caramel oolongs. But this is so good why would I want to? Not sure if I used it all for my cup though. I have tea everywhere right now.

I’m glad you liked it!

Last “milk” oolong in the Battle of the Milk Oolongs series. RIght away, you can tell this has a lot more fragrance than the others. And I’m talking creaminess, and almost caramel-like too.

Yeah yeah. it’s not a true milk oolong, but I really don’t care. What matters is how it tastes, and it indeed tastes lovely. I can see where others get sweetened condensed milk. It definitely has that going on. I actually oversteeped this as I was frantically putting on my makeup because today already sucks so much; yet, it didn’t turn out bitter or vegetal. According to my last note, this was a little on the bland side, so I wonder if that was due to a much shorter steeping time. Time will tell.

For now, I’m really glad I picked this one up.

Not a true milk oolong- but a milky flavoured oolong none the less. After becoming a lover of oolong (and being nearly out of Davids Tea milk oolong), I decided to give this tea a go as I can purchase it locally.

Dry: Leaves are more broken up and more stems then Davids Tea (which is to be expected if you pay $5/50g in my opinion). Smells like condensed milk. I like that. Wet leaves unfurled rather quickly (almost all open after one steep).. though again, to be expected.
Liquor: Deeply rich carmel colour. It smells heavenly actually. Sunshine (and yellow) comes to mind for some reason when I smell this which makes me happy. Caramelly sweet smell with a touch of vanilla and camomile (random). The taste is pleasing – I can definitely taste the oolong and there is a buttery sensation/flavour as an intermediate note. No real substantial aftertaste, except a mild candy note.. like a gummy real fruit candy, except not sweet. It’s subtle but nice.
Note: I am half delirious right now due to lack of sleep and I am pretty sure I put in 1 tbsp for my whole 6oz cup. I’m not sure why I did that. Or why I let it steep longer then I usually would. At least with my trusty thermometer I now know exactly what temperature water was used (93C). Due to these factors – I will hold off on rating until I figure out my life and stop mucking up my tea! (Thank goodness I didn’t try playing with my Verdant tea yet.. I definitely need more sleep for that session!)

Fjellrev

I’ve been going between trying this or DT’s. Which one do you prefer?

Lynne-tea

Oh my gosh DT’s all the way. I get so caught up in just sniffing my DT tin and love the buttery taste. Such a comfort. Though the price of this one is much better. To be honest… I go between DT’s and Teavivre as I still get a buttery taste/smoothness with the TV that I adore. If you haven’t tried that one yet I highly recommend it!

Fjellrev

Thanks! I almost bought this one before so I think I’ll go for DT’s instead. :)

Lynne-tea

No problem at all! I don’t regret buying this as it was so inexpensive and therefore I don’t feel bad if I put some in a to-go tea bag.. which is something I wouldn’t do with the DT’s due to the cost. I hope you love DT’s as much as mine. It is surely one of my top 5 teas of all time (so far… I have so many more teas to taste in my lifetime yet!)

Lynne-tea

haha I meant to say “I hope you love DT’s as much as I do.” Goes to show you how a cold turns my brain into cotton-balls >.<

Fjellrev

Haha no it’s ok, I understood. Can’t believe how much DT’s is but I’m sure it’s worth it. It’s so sad. I made a trip to Edmonton this weekend, got to WEM, did some shopping (including a first visit to the new Teavana store) but I ran out of money by the time I made it to the other end of the mall where DT is. Kind of wish I went to DT first since the Teavana teas don’t taste as good as they smell! Oh well. Next time.

Lynne-tea

Hahah aww phooey! Yes next time for sure. I have been to Teavana and I wasn’t that impressed. Thankfully.. I live only by a Tea Desire (which I can easily withstand buying teas from as it is: A) A 2 hr bike ride away overall, and B) Not very good quality.. though for cheap prices (though I love their russian caravan to bits)). Therefore I am restricted to ordering online and I was familiar with DT so they became top priority when I was initially getting into it. If you are ever around a DT.. I suggest grabbing a 10-15g sample to try.. that way you can test it out before taking the plunge =) trust me – it’s worth it haha

Fjellrev

Ah, I never thought of getting samples. I am always afraid to ask haha. But I don’t know, I actually really like Tea Desire? It’s hit or miss. Some are meh, others are amazing. And you’re right, you can’t complain about the price.

Yeah, the Teavana teas I chose are ok but definitely disappointing. Too bad they bought out Teaopia. Have been meaning to try a bunch of their stuff.

Lynne-tea

Maybe it is just my experience at the tea desire store here. Trying their oolongs.. I found they used the same lower grade oolong base for all of their oolong mixes.. Then their prices jump way up for ‘better’ quality oolongs. I would much prefer to have the option of samples first before going with 50g ( I now have an excess of two oolongs I don’t really enjoy that I am trying to find ways to use.. Thankfully I liked the milky oolong!)
The staff here are also quite pushy and are not accommodating (as in a thermometer I bought from them had broke because it is cheap and they made it seem as though it was a huge thing to exchange it for another one and kept hinting i dropped it, causing the liquid to separate in the glass stem.. If i had dropped it, the glass would have broke. And I wasn’t even asking for a refund. The new thermometer I got also ended up breaking within three days and now they want to give me store credit. I just want my money back as I don’t want their tea or their cheap thermometers. Humph. Another reason I love DT – any problems no matter how small, they fix with an amazing attitude and seem genuine about it. Tea desire is like pulling teeth in those situations.)

Day #8 for the 12 Days of Christmas swap. Thank you Roswell!

I LOVE Milky Oolong. It is by far one of my favorite teas. I was hoping whoever had day 8 would provide a milk oolong:) This had an interesting twist. It had a much darker (not as green oolong) taste than the other milky oolongs I have had. It had a bit of a caramel flavor too it and a little less milky-ness to it. I like. I wish I had a few more cups of this to compare cup to cup with.

Glad you liked it :)

Eighth day of Christmas time traveling tea! I have been drinking this tea sparingly since I got it, because I love it! It’s very naturally sweet, and full-bodied. When I say naturally sweet, I mean it; it tastes as if there were sugar in the cup (there’s not, I checked.) It’s also just very light. In short, it’s delicious. Thank you so much to Roswell Strange for this lovely tea!

I’m humming Light My Candle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlVBOxVCjCU) because I just got back from RENT at my school. It was amazing. I am so inspired by everyone there. Also, It’s the second day in a row i’ve seen it, and it still brought me close to tears. So this is a nice way to end the night.

Roswell Strange

I’m so glad you like it! :) Light My candle (really, anything with Mimi) was always my least favorite song from RENT.

Isaila

I don’t like the song itself, or how it’s done in the movie, but the way our cast did it was amazing, and the actress playing Mimi was fantastic. My actual favorite song is probably Tango Maureen. Or La Vie Boheme. The music itself isn’t that good alone, I just love everyone in our cast, and the story.

1. of 12 days of Christmas 2013. Roswell Strange chose this and I send much Thanks her way. I have never had a milky oolong so, I have nothing to compare it to. I have been wanting to try milky oolong so I was very excited when this came my way. I too had hoped that whoever did day #8 would pick a milky oolong! Smelled great brewing, nice deep scent and flavor. The leaves resembled green tea after it steeps, I felt, not sure if that is always so, but neat to me. I did not detect any milky taste sensation but then again, my tastes have not developed for this type of tea. I enjoyed this tea experience. Great to be introduced to Tea Desire as well, had fun looking them up.

first oolong i ever tried, and still my favourite. wonderfully sweet, creamy smell/flavour. mixes well with other teas with simple flavours, like Honey Bee from DAVIDsTEA. also nice for multiple steeps!

I have been on a Milk Oolong craze ever since I tried the one from David’s Tea. I bought this on a whim, because the Tea Desire at a nearby mall had a closing down sale and its price is hard to beat (CAD$5/50g). Please do not let its name fool you however. This is NOT a Milk Oolong. It would be better described as a Caramel Oolong, I think. Nonetheless, as a caramel-flavoured tea, it is sweet, pleasant, and lovely to serve when having guests.