Caramel Pu Erh

Pu-erh Tea
Caramel, Earth
Edit tea info Last updated by AJ

• “Yes ole faithful caramel pu-erh, you're still my favorite of the caramel teas. I'd strongly recommend you to anyone who likes a good, hearty pu-erh, although I'd probably only steep it 2 minutes if...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1144 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: Part of what puts me off about pu’erh is the smell. This is simply pure, unadulterated, ooey-gooey caramel goodness. I can definitely see why you like this one so much *MissB* so thank you...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1965 tasting notes
  • “So I got this tea in our tea crawl and swap. I grabbed this one up when it was offered, and I am glad I did! I love the Coffee Pu Erh from DAVIDs, and this is similar, minus the coffee beans, so it...” Read full tasting note
    heathermartin 611 tasting notes
  • “Another one from *Roswell Strange* I'm trying to drinka few teas from most of my swap buddies, though i suspect the teas from YYZ and Boychik will wait for tomorrow or another weekend as i want...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5068 tasting notes

From Tea Desire

Ingredients: Pu-Erh tea, caramel pieces, natural flavour.

About Tea Desire View company

Yes ole faithful caramel pu-erh, you’re still my favorite of the caramel teas. I’d strongly recommend you to anyone who likes a good, hearty pu-erh, although I’d probably only steep it 2 minutes if I were worried, or if I was new to pu-erhs. Me? I gave it a goooooood 20 minute steep, and then another hour or two for the re-steep.

Flavors: Caramel, Earth

200 °F / 93 °C 8 min or more 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
Amariel

I love caramel pu erhs…they go together so well.

Sami Kelsh

Oh HELL YES. Caramel and pu erh should just, like, get married.

agreed.

Kamyria

Oh, caramel pu’erh… I don’t think I ever had one. I love caramel and I love pu’erh and putting them together sounds like a great marriage to me… Have to put it on my list.

scottish toffee caramel puerh is a common one from a number of companies Kam :)

1965 tasting notes

Backlog: Part of what puts me off about pu’erh is the smell. This is simply pure, unadulterated, ooey-gooey caramel goodness. I can definitely see why you like this one so much MissB so thank you so much for sharing it with me :)

Fjellrev

Wow, seriously? I stayed away from that because yeah, I don’t really care for the taste or smell of pu-erh. Was the base really strong and/or ultra earthy?

VariaTEA

I think you can definitely tell it is a pu’erh (as in there is a hint of the earthiness in the base and smell) and for that reason alone I won’t be getting this again. However, it is the most mild pu’erh (with the exception of Teavana’s Weight To Go which has virtually no leaf) I have ever had. The most prominent flavor by far is the caramel.

Roswell Strange

I’ve never had a pu’erh (I find them a little intimidating, to be honest) but this one sounds really good and I’ve smelled it before in store, and it just smells like delicious caramel. Do you think it’d be a good starting point? Remember – it’s not hard for me to obtain (ten minute walk) and I could get it as a tea to go prior to purchasing any.

VariaTEA

Well my first “pu’erh” was Weight To Go but there was virtually no pu’erh in that that I don’t think it counts. I think the only reason why that was a good start is because it rid me of my fear despite being completely non-representative. If you want something that does have the earthiness of pu’erh but is not overwhelming, this is definitely your best bet. I would say it is like 90% delicious caramel and 10% earthy pu’erh

Roswell Strange

I also have a sample of Dreamsicle Pu’Erh right now, which smells amazing, but same idea where I’m not sure if that’s a good starting point. I’m not scared of the earthiness of it (I like earthy teas), but of the potential fishiness.

MissB

The Dreamsicle is, in my opinion, something to move towards. It’s light on the flavoring, although the pu-erh taste is low as well. I found it… weak. I should also note that I love pu-erh however.

This tea? I think the earthiness is exactly as VariaTEA has described it, and it only accents the caramel-y ness of it. If you have easy access to it, I’d definitely try a cup. Zero rinsing needed either, although if you’re really worried, give them a quick rinse before steeping.

So I got this tea in our tea crawl and swap. I grabbed this one up when it was offered, and I am glad I did! I love the Coffee Pu Erh from DAVIDs, and this is similar, minus the coffee beans, so it is a bit less acidic in that respect.

What I love about this tea is seeing the bits of caramel. I’m a sucker for that, heh.

I love adding milk and sugar to pu erhs because they are so dark and rich, they really holdup well to it. This one is pretty sweet by itself, but not for me, so I did use sugar, but less than normal.

I’d rate this pretty good, pretty comparable, but it is so close to DT’s Coffee Pu Erh, and I can get that locally, that I probably wouldn’t purchase this unless it was local too.

Thanks to Morgan, who I don’t think is on Steepster, but came over from Vancouver with OMGsrsly.

Another one from Roswell Strange I’m trying to drinka few teas from most of my swap buddies, though i suspect the teas from YYZ and Boychik will wait for tomorrow or another weekend as i want to do a few comparisons. I think i still prefer the scottish toffee caramel puerh from majesteas here in toronto, but this one is a close second. It’s got that delicious creamy caramel taste that rides along with the base of the puerh for a really enjoyable cup. at least in my opinion :) thanks for letting me try another version of this one RS! :)

boychik

I had to include Scottish Caramel puerh fr Angelina’s tea for you to compare… Sigh… Next time!

Haha no worries!

It was so hard to pick which tea to try first out of the insane box from MissB that I found on my doorstep today (This box is tea heaven, and I feel like the luckiest person in the world….), but I decided to go for this one. I’ve been wanting to try a caramel pu-erh, since I always read such great reviews for them on here, and I’m so excited that I finally got to…
This tea was absolutely delicious…
Buttery and rich upon sipping, but ending with this light, clean finish… so interesting!
As it cooled slightly in my cup, the tea became so creamy and decadent.
The caramel is right there, bordering on butterscotch to me, with the richer, more brown sugar notes…. mmmmm!
Off to resteep for a third time :)
(Thanks again, MissB !!)

MissB

Woohoo! This is my favorite puerh right now, and has been for a bit. I’d love to hear how your third re-steep goes!

Also loving this!

Suziqzer

Boxes/pkgs from MissB are always wonderful!

DeliriumsFrogs

Oh, the third resteep was delightful! We had some unexpected plumbing issues pop up, so I didn’t get around to my third cup until later that night (10pm, actually)… The caramel became the finish, with the earthy pu erh in the front (I’m still a complete pu erh newb, so I’m not good at describing it)… I loved it! Also, it was great to know that I could have a cup of this that late and sleep fine. :)

Another sent over from Miss B, thank you!

I may have underleafed so I will try again later. Not as dark and rich, nor as caramelly as I’d hoped.

So far that honour, the honour of dark, rich, caramelly pu’erh of my dreams, goes to BeTeas, the company whose TOTMC my hubby had signed me up for last year.

This one is still tasty, just not as potent as I’d expected!

2067 tasting notes

Our lovely MissB talks so highly about this one that the last time I was in Tea Desire I took the plunge and bought 50g of this to take home. It wasn’t a hard sell; I trust her opinion a lot plus it has caramel in it and a lot of it, which is a favourite flavour of mine in general, and I got to smell it in store as well so it wasn’t like I was just blindly ordering from their site. It smelled awesome, by the way.

I finally made it up tonight. I wasn’t sure if this was a Pu’Erh that really needed to be rinsed, so I did a quick 20 sec. rinse with warm water just in case. A five minute steep later, and I had my mug of this ready to go. It still smells incredible!

Man, this is a flat out tasty, tasty tea. It has the familiar caramel/toffee flavour I’ve experienced in other Tea Desire blends like Victoria Mint or Sweet Toffee but this is much earthier and almost “gritty” – but in a good way. It’s thick and creamy too, and very very rich.

I honestly think this is the first (but hopefully not the last) Pu’Erh I’ve tried that I’d want to keep restocked or in quantity; and hey, I have 50g of it now so that works out well! Looks like I’m going to need to clear out a spot in the tea closet for tins of Pu’Erh – at the moment such a section does not exist.

Flavors: Caramel, Earth

Sami Kelsh

Oh yes! Caramel and pu’erh should just get married. YES.

MissB

Oh, wow! Thank you. :) I’m so glad that you enjoyed it.

Oooh this is flat out tasty! TY MissB! The caramel and pu’er just match amazingly well! The caramel adds a nice flavor and sweetness that just melts into the earthy pu’er.
The only thing I don’t like about this blend is the pu’er has a fermented flavor aftertaste, but everything else is soo good!

Eee!!! MissB was king kind enough to share a couple mugs worth of this with me. More if I resteep it. And you bet I will.

Thank you!

This smells AMAZING. Wow. So much caramel. Not all of it melted in my initial steep, but that’s ok. It’s almost like sticky buns (brown sugar and butter) baking in the oven, as the puerh is quite bready.

Sipping it, the caramel is incredibly sweet, but the puerh grounds it nicely. I definitely need to pick up 50g of this. Staying on my wishlist!

Thanks again. :D