Chocolate Truffle

Pu-erh Tea
Chocolate, Earth
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian

From Tea Desire

Ingredients: Pu-Erh tea, cocoa peel, chocolate bits, mini meringue, flavour.

About Tea Desire View company

This smells like a chocolate truffle – the earthy kind that you’d dig from the ground, and then add some dark chocolate to. Seriously, that’s the kind of truffle I get out of this – if you like that kind of earthy pu-erh, you’ll love this. Well, and if you love chocolate, too. It’s earthy, rich, deep and velvety.

Flavors: Chocolate, Earth

Sami Kelsh

This sounds sexy.

Dustin

I love truffles!

tigress_al

Oooooh, that sounds amazing!

MissB

I love it, although I should note it’s probably something that new-to-puerh folks should wait to try out. Definitely sexy! :)

OMGsrsly

So you’re saying I need to get this as well as the caramel the next time I’m in Nanaimo? :)

Hmm… I don’t think I’m too crazy about this. It’s mostly puerish. I’m not getting much else.

But I have one cup left to try to make my mind up!

VariaTEA

Sorry this was not for you. I wasn’t in love with it either but thought I would share.

MissB

Aw, boo. It is a pu-erh, which I’m learning now is not your thing VariaTEA. Had hoped it would work out or others though, as I do enjoy this.

Cavocorax

Meh. I’m still happy to have tried it! With a name like chocolate truffle I may have been tempted to buy some, and then I would have been disappointed!

VariaTEA

Names always get me. I am getting better at stopping myself when I see it has pu’erh or something I know I don’t like.

Cavocorax

That’s good!
Sometimes puerh mixes can be really good though! Tealux has a few I really like.

Thanks MissB for sending me a sample of this.
MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm this has a lot of the elements that I LOVE about Davids Coffee Pu’erh. I like that the pu’erh isn’t totally masked, it’s there but more as an accent to add depth and mouth feel to the chocolate. Seems to me this makes it more “truffle” than most black teas are able to achieve. I really like this, but it’s not coffee pu’erh. Thanks MissB!!!

MissB

Oh, yay! I hoped you’d dig this one.

Yes, another chocolate pu’erh – they do seem to get paired together quite often. I get a stronger sense of the pu’erh base with this blend than I have with other chocolate-flavoured pu’erhs. It’s a pleasant mix of earthy and leather-like with a hint of smokiness. It goes well with the rich bitterness of the cocoa though it could stand to be a bit sweeter. Ultimately it’s not bad, but also not my favorite out of all the similar blends I’ve tried.

1962 tasting notes

This is yet another sample from the extremely generous MissB. And it is definitely an interesting cup. More than anything I am tasting the Pu’erh. It is earthy for sure but also there is a hint of dark chocolate that creeps in around mid-sip and lingers in the aftertaste. I am not sure why but I expected more of a milk chocolate flavor. Nonetheless, this does bring to mind chocolate truffles, just ones made with dark chocolate. Thank you MissB for this tasting experience.

Boiling

Another from MissB! thanks so much! Chocolate truffle sounds delicious. My tasting note may be ruined though, since I had a couple chocolates before sipping! There was a marshmallow in my sample, but otherwise, this seemed like a pretty straightforward pu-erh. Maybe they meant naturally chocolatey from the pu-erh itself? Reminded me more of coffee though. I love these dark pu-erhs, so even if it isn’t exactly a chocolate truffle, I don’t mind. At least it wasn’t a light pu-erh pretending to be a chocolatey blend! Both steeps were nice!

This tastes more like a straight Pu er with just a hint of chocolate to it, definitely not getting any meringue notes and it is not “very chocolately” as stated on the label. It is not a bad Pu er, but not a great one, I think I will use the remainder as a base and add things to it…always fun to concoct.

Another one from the generous MissB!!

A lot of these teas really appealed to me, so it’s great I got to try them. I’m able to cross a bunch of teas off my wish list :)

This one is definitely rich dark chocolate, but VERY earthy. Super pu-erh taste.
Not really my sort of thing, chocolate dirt. But I can see how someone would like it!

The pu-erh combined with the chocolate kind of reminds me of an Oreo. A dirty Oreo. Very similar to their Oreo pu’erh, actually.

Thanks again for the sample!

I didn’t look this one up on Steepster before I brewed it, and it was quite a shock when it smelled of pu’erh once steeped.

Well, well. I was a little wary, but I let it cool as I wrote out more cue cards for conservation. I finally braved taking a sip, and it’s not so scary. The scent is far more pu’erh-y than the taste. The taste has a nice chocolate profile with the unmistakable, but not overwhelming pu’erh base.

Thanks for the surprise VariaTEA!

VariaTEA

You’re welcome. That sample came to my from Kat_Maria who I believe got it from MissB. Since I tried it before, I knew it was not for me so I thought I would pass it along in hopes it would find a home with someone who might enjoy it :P. Gotta love how tea travels.

Stephanie

Chocolate puerh sounds good to me!

TY MissB for this tea! I thought this was a black, took one sip and was like ooooooo! pu’er! Nicely rich, chocolately and earthy. Very good, though I am partial to pu’er and interested in pu’er blends. I may have to secure some more of this tea. I’ve been feeling under the weather the last few days and this perked me up a bit.

MissB

Aw, I’m so happy that it perked you up. Did I send you any of their Caramel Pu-erh? Also very tasty.

Awkward Soul / Oolong Owl

you did! I’m waiting for the perfect day to try that one!