Chocolate Truffle

Pu-erh Tea
Chocolate, Earth
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian

From Tea Desire

Ingredients: Pu-Erh tea, cocoa peel, chocolate bits, mini meringue, flavour.

About Tea Desire View company

This smells like a chocolate truffle – the earthy kind that you’d dig from the ground, and then add some dark chocolate to. Seriously, that’s the kind of truffle I get out of this – if you like that kind of earthy pu-erh, you’ll love this. Well, and if you love chocolate, too. It’s earthy, rich, deep and velvety.

Flavors: Chocolate, Earth

Sami Kelsh

This sounds sexy.

Dustin

I love truffles!

tigress_al

Oooooh, that sounds amazing!

MissB

I love it, although I should note it’s probably something that new-to-puerh folks should wait to try out. Definitely sexy! :)

OMGsrsly

So you’re saying I need to get this as well as the caramel the next time I’m in Nanaimo? :)

Hmm… I don’t think I’m too crazy about this. It’s mostly puerish. I’m not getting much else.

But I have one cup left to try to make my mind up!

VariaTEA

Sorry this was not for you. I wasn’t in love with it either but thought I would share.

MissB

Aw, boo. It is a pu-erh, which I’m learning now is not your thing VariaTEA. Had hoped it would work out or others though, as I do enjoy this.

Cavocorax

Meh. I’m still happy to have tried it! With a name like chocolate truffle I may have been tempted to buy some, and then I would have been disappointed!

VariaTEA

Names always get me. I am getting better at stopping myself when I see it has pu’erh or something I know I don’t like.

Cavocorax

That’s good!
Sometimes puerh mixes can be really good though! Tealux has a few I really like.

Thanks MissB for sending me a sample of this.
MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm this has a lot of the elements that I LOVE about Davids Coffee Pu’erh. I like that the pu’erh isn’t totally masked, it’s there but more as an accent to add depth and mouth feel to the chocolate. Seems to me this makes it more “truffle” than most black teas are able to achieve. I really like this, but it’s not coffee pu’erh. Thanks MissB!!!

MissB

Oh, yay! I hoped you’d dig this one.

Yes, another chocolate pu’erh – they do seem to get paired together quite often. I get a stronger sense of the pu’erh base with this blend than I have with other chocolate-flavoured pu’erhs. It’s a pleasant mix of earthy and leather-like with a hint of smokiness. It goes well with the rich bitterness of the cocoa though it could stand to be a bit sweeter. Ultimately it’s not bad, but also not my favorite out of all the similar blends I’ve tried.

This is yet another sample from the extremely generous MissB. And it is definitely an interesting cup. More than anything I am tasting the Pu’erh. It is earthy for sure but also there is a hint of dark chocolate that creeps in around mid-sip and lingers in the aftertaste. I am not sure why but I expected more of a milk chocolate flavor. Nonetheless, this does bring to mind chocolate truffles, just ones made with dark chocolate. Thank you MissB for this tasting experience.

Boiling

Another from MissB! thanks so much! Chocolate truffle sounds delicious. My tasting note may be ruined though, since I had a couple chocolates before sipping! There was a marshmallow in my sample, but otherwise, this seemed like a pretty straightforward pu-erh. Maybe they meant naturally chocolatey from the pu-erh itself? Reminded me more of coffee though. I love these dark pu-erhs, so even if it isn’t exactly a chocolate truffle, I don’t mind. At least it wasn’t a light pu-erh pretending to be a chocolatey blend! Both steeps were nice!

This tastes more like a straight Pu er with just a hint of chocolate to it, definitely not getting any meringue notes and it is not “very chocolately” as stated on the label. It is not a bad Pu er, but not a great one, I think I will use the remainder as a base and add things to it…always fun to concoct.

TY MissB for this tea! I thought this was a black, took one sip and was like ooooooo! pu’er! Nicely rich, chocolately and earthy. Very good, though I am partial to pu’er and interested in pu’er blends. I may have to secure some more of this tea. I’ve been feeling under the weather the last few days and this perked me up a bit.

MissB

Aw, I’m so happy that it perked you up. Did I send you any of their Caramel Pu-erh? Also very tasty.

Awkward Soul

you did! I’m waiting for the perfect day to try that one!

I thought I had tried this already. Hmm.

This sample is from Fjellrev, apparently. I think. Maybe. Or MissB. Sorry, ladies. I forgot to keep track!

It’s very chocolatey. Like brandy beans, almost, as there’s an alcohol whiff I’m getting off the tea.

But I like it. I really do. With almond milk, and a long steep, this is nice. Maybe not 50g nice, but nice enough that I want to check it out the next time I make it past a Tea Desire store!

Fjellrev

It’s from MissB!

OMGsrsly

I had your name on it, but it looked like her writing! AAH! I am so confused. :)

keychange

I love how sighted people all write differently from one another. Braille just looks like braille.

OMGsrsly

With handwriting, you can manage an approximation of the shape of a word and it can still be read as the word. :) It is super neat. It’s great when it’s treated as art, like with graffiti and calligraphy. So cool. What might be neat for you to play with is gold burnished calligraphy, since the paper is generally quite textured, but the gold is super slick from polishing, and slightly raised because of the glue. I wish I still had some calligraphy stuff so I could send something to you!

keychange

That sounds really neat. I love raised things!

I got this tea as an extra to my order of MissB’s stash sale. Thank you, MissB!

While I mostly taste earthy pu erh here, I also definitely detect some dark chocolate. I am not sure about the truffle part – perhaps it is in the general silkiness of every sip that I take? It doesn’t matter. Overall, it is a tasty and naturally flavored pu erh that serves me real well as a nice after-dinner dessert today.

Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML