Coconut Chai Latte

Black Chai Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

From Tea Forte

The zesty zing of cinnamon, cardamom and clove takes over the first sip of this tropical treasure, followed by toasty island coconut. Try with milk and sweetener then enjoy hot or iced for a creamy, tropical latte.

Ingredients: organic black tea, organic ginger root, organic cinnamon, organic coconut pieces, organic licorice root, natural coconut flavor, organic cardamom seeds, organic black pepper, organic clove buds, other natural flavors.

About Tea Forte View company

Made this one as a hot latte with 2% milk. Is not as good as I had expected. It is mostly coconut flavoured, minimal chai taste. The coconut is quite acidic. I think this one would be better hot brewed with just milk added to it. Will keep experimenting.

This is another tea from the Coconut Sampler I purchased from work. It’s a not a bad tea, but out of the three different teas in the sampler I think I like this one the least. It comes across as a little weak and while I can taste the spices they don’t quite mesh with the coconut flavours as well as the chocolate truffle and pina-colda blends do.

Not sure about this one. I added soy milk to this and there was a bitter, almost sour taste. I’ll have to toy with the steeping and additives, I guess.

I am really surprised by the low rating of this tea because I find it delicious and I’m going to steal the other two bags left in the Great Canadian Travelling Tea Box! It is basically a coconut tea with hints of chai spices, and I really mean hints, you almost have to look for them to notice them at all, and I kind of like that. I can’t attest to there being any sort of creaminess because I added a ton of cream to this.
I love chai flavour; I love tazo and Oregon chai lattes and chai flavoured baked goods. I had these chai flavoured mints one time that were the best thing ever and I swear I bought every tin this café had over a 6 month period of time and then they were out of my life forever. BUT, I don’t like chai tea, crazy, I know! So it’s a good thing to me that the chai is so light in this one. Other people speak of a bitterness, which I am not getting at all, maybe I drowned it out with all the cream and agave I put in this.

Growing up in the tropics, I relish the aroma and taste of coconut wherever I go. I happened to come across this tea in an organic store in the suburbs of Philadelphia, and hurried home to try it. Having lived in Oxford, England, I prefer my teas with milk and sugar. Although certainly not a top of the line tea, my entire family enjoyed the aroma of the tea – and I thoroughly enjoyed each sip. It transported me back home to the days where I used to lay in a hammock and would drink a half gallon of fresh coconut water after school! Please do bear in mind that, as the package suggests, I recommend you sip this tea with milk and sugar (I used organic agave sweetener). Enjoy!

Thanks, ashleyelizabeth, for including this as a random sample in our swap! I have to apologize to you, because in my rush to get the tea packaged and to the post office before it closed, I forgot to include any random samples, just the tea we’d agreed on… T_T Sorry!

Anyway, I made this over at my sister’s while I was visiting the other day. Her kids can be kind of rambunctious, and it can get overwhelming, so we were feeling like we needed a pick-me-up. She went for her Keurig, and I pulled this out, glad I’d brought it.

It’s a bit inconsistent with the flavor, to be honest, although I’m not quite sure how that works. Some sips are quite coconutty, while some sips are spicy, and still other sips are, unfortunately, neither. I’d be willing to give this another shot, though, so perhaps I’ll get some down the line.

ashleyelizabeth

No need for apologies, I sent out about 7 swaps before I sent yours and I didn’t remember to put samples in most of them, but most people included them in their swap to me. To be honest, I didn’t even notice!

Wow. You can really smell the coconut right off from the moment you open the packet. The coconut actually gives a rather creamy flavour that goes well with the spices making it chai. As it cools, the toasted quality comes out more.
I was somewhat surprised that the directions didn’t mention milk and sugar, as this is specifically entitled as a latte, but decided to make it and try it without anyway. I don’t regret it, but I do wonder what it would be like when doctored up as I normally would with chai, or made with hot milk rather than the water that the packet directs, as well.

I tend toward black tea, but have been known to try any tea once and I love coconut, so I thought this was a match made in heaven. I absolutely disliked this tea so much. It tastes like malibu rum tea. I tried putting less or more tea in, higher and lower temperatures and longer and shorter steeping times and nothing seemed to work. The closest I got to drinkable was by doubling amount of tea and adding some assam for more tea flavor. It just tastes like an herbal chai and the coconut overwhelms. I wanted it to have more cinnamon and star anise and have more tea flavor.

I think I finally have a handle on why I don’t like this one. It doesn’t have enough tea flavor and what tea flavor there is tastes bitter. The three spices that predominate, I don’t like in my teas (ginger, black pepper and licorice). The coconut tastes very fake and artificial. Even cream and sugar doesn’t seem to help this one. I vow to never make it again . . . yuck! It embodies the unholy trinity of all that I hate in a bad tea: bitter low quality tea, fake fruit/spice flavor added, unbalanced sip where the flavors instead of slowly blooming on your palate are like a heat seeking missile of awful taste.

part of a set of three coconut teas; lovely coconut aroma. steeped for 5 minutes, tasted w/o milk or sweetener & found a wee bit bitter; added milk & honey & it’s still a wee bit bitter. shall have to steep it for less time in future. all flavours are very subtle. licorice & cinnamon stand out a bit more than anything else with the coconut being more of an aftertaste. i’ll try again another time, heating it up directly with milk in a pot. that might bring the flavours out a bit better.