Tupelo Honey Fig

White Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Nicole

• “Well, this is odd. A bit of fig, a bit of honey... and lots of other things that I can't pick out. There is a strange sweet aftertaste. Very odd in that it doesn't taste sweet when I'm drinking it...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 512 tasting notes
  • “Thanks again Nicole for that awesome tea package! I'm gradually trying the teas you sent, but I'm working on tea boxes! What an odd list of ingredients this has. It sounded good though! Sadly,...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1294 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to Nicole for sending me a sample of this! This is one of those teas that is totally different than what you were expecting! The dry leaf smells mostly of basil. When I think of fig teas my...” Read full tasting note
    Tamm 536 tasting notes
  • “So this evening while waiting for my dinner to finish baking I am reviewing a tea that has one of my favorite fruits ever in it, the glorious fig. As a child I was lucky enough to have grandparents...” Read full tasting note
    SoggyEnderman 300 tasting notes

From Tea Forte

A summer medley of organic rare tea, delicious sweet figs and the taste of tupelo honey. Cooling peppermint and sunny citrus join in perfect harmony for a most fragrant cup.

organic lemon myrtle, organic peppermint leaves, organic fennel, organic white tea, organic basil, organic licorice root, organic sweet blackberry leaves, natural honey flavor, organic fig pieces

About Tea Forte View company

Well, this is odd. A bit of fig, a bit of honey… and lots of other things that I can’t pick out. There is a strange sweet aftertaste. Very odd in that it doesn’t taste sweet when I’m drinking it but immediately after swallowing it, there is a sweetness that suffuses my mouth. I thought at first it was what I was eating with it, but I’m not sure how sharp cheese and pretzels would make a tea sweet. Maybe… the licorice root is the sweet.

Hm. Not sure I like this. I could drink it if it was served to me, but I don’t think I’d choose it over other teas.

Tamm

gah! I was hoping this would be really good..I’ve had it on my Amazon wish list and it just became available.

Nicole

PM me and let me share some of this with you. Then you don’t buy a bunch without knowing. You might like this. Everyone has different tastes, especially when it comes to tea :)

Thank you! I pmd you.

Thanks again Nicole for that awesome tea package! I’m gradually trying the teas you sent, but I’m working on tea boxes! What an odd list of ingredients this has. It sounded good though! Sadly, it doesn’t actually taste like figs or honey. But the flavor that is here isn’t bad. Mostly mint, a little lemon myrtle and then something savory… but not really basil. I’m a HUGE lover of basil and I didn’t really detect any. Not bad as a blend, but it seems there should be something more here. The mint is probably masking the flavors. My rating for this one would be higher if this one weren’t supposedly honey fig.

Thanks to Nicole for sending me a sample of this! This is one of those teas that is totally different than what you were expecting! The dry leaf smells mostly of basil. When I think of fig teas my mind instantly goes to Teavana’s Fig Rose tea. That is fig. This doesn’t smell like fig to me (dry at least). I also thought it was interesting that this is listed as a white tea because I really can’t pick it out for the peppermint and basil leaves.
Wow, when sipping this I can instantly taste the honey/sweet flavor. I agree with Nicole, this tea needs a pretzel! The basil in this is just out of control. I like basil, but this isn’t supposed to be basil tea; it’s supposed to be honey/fig. I think that the biggest problem with tea sellers that I run into is the names. I see a name and expect a flavor, but it is often something completely different.
This tea is unique, that’s for sure! I’m a bit torn about what to think of it.

Nicole

I didn’t notice basil. That’s interesting how everyone gets something different from the same teas. :) The licorice really killed it for me.

Tamm

The basil really hit me because I use it a lot for pasta and such. It is interesting though, that we tasted really different stuff? I love that about comparing tasting notes. I didn’t really get licorice at all! Maybe I had less in that cup.

So this evening while waiting for my dinner to finish baking I am reviewing a tea that has one of my favorite fruits ever in it, the glorious fig. As a child I was lucky enough to have grandparents that had a fig tree so my summer visits usually consisted of me eating a lot of them, I still get giddy when I see the local stores with them in stock and usually eat my purchase in one sitting.

Tupelo Honey Fig is a blend of Lemon Myrtle, Peppermint Leaves, Fennel, White Tea, Basil, Licorice Root, Blackberry Leaves, Honey Flavor, and Fig Pieces (all organic.) The first thing I notice while examining the leaves is the aroma, I notice no fig or honey at all. The most potent aroma is that of dried leaves, not tea or a specific spice, just dried leaves. The same aroma you get from a tree branch whose leaves dried out due to drought or being knocked off the tree, it is slightly sweet and earthy mixed with an unmistakable scent of something that was once green that is no longer. After the initial leaf smell you start to get little hints of the fennel and maybe an idea of the basil. It is not at all a bad aroma, just certainly not what I was expecting from a tea that is fig and honey themed.

After brewing the aroma becomes significantly sweeter and you get to really smell the honey! The leaf aroma is still very strong but it is accompanied by basil and more fennel. I do not really smell the mint and I am assuming the leafy smell is from the Lemon Myrtle, but I am not sure since it is a plant I am unfamiliar with. The aroma of the liquid smells very mild and herbal with notes of honey.

The taste is odd. You first get a tingly mouthfeel from the mint and a sweet aftertaste with the anise taste of fennel, but other than that the flavor seems muddied. I can detect hints of the basil and white tea, but no fig and no honey. The more I drink this tea though the more it grows on me, it is like a puzzle in my mouth that I am trying to figure out…or maybe a treasure hunt for fig? I am a little disappointed by the lack of fig taste, but due to the combination of mint and fennel I think this tea would be an amazing digestion aid after a heavy meal. Plus it acts as a wonderful palette cleanser, because that is what fennel is amazing for (also making your mouth smell good, woohoo!)

Third brewing of the same leaves. I’m surprised how well it’s held up, though I think this is the last round. No mintiness at all now, but the rest is also fading.