Hua Gang Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by K S

• “Everything K S said I agree with! Right down to the geranium note! This almost reminds me of a genmaicha with its toasted popcorn flavor. This is a keeper! Too bad the sample is gone. And...” Read full tasting note
    azzrian 807 tasting notes
  • “I sipped this without additives and it is the single most buttery almost popcorn flavored tea I have tried to date. Really exceptional. By mid sip it blooms with a short floral blast. It literally...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1419 tasting notes
  • “This is a lovely oolong that delicately balances floral and buttery notes. I sometimes find oolongs that are more flowery to be a dangerous gamble and they often can come across as too...” Read full tasting note
    Saroyan2 123 tasting notes

From Tea from Taiwan

This premium-quality oolong tea is grown in the Li Shan mountain range at an altitude of 2400 meters. The climate of these high mountains is ideal for growing fine oolong tea. The cool air and high humidity produce a tea with full, robust flavor and long-lasting aftertaste.

The brewed tea has an exquisite aroma and brews to an appealing amber liquor. The leaves can can be re-brewed many times while maintaining a full flavor.

Tea grown on Mount Li (Li Shan or Pear Mountain) is the most prized oolong tea in Taiwan. It is ideally suited for gong fu style brewing.

About Tea from Taiwan View company

Everything K S said I agree with! Right down to the geranium note!
This almost reminds me of a genmaicha with its toasted popcorn flavor.
This is a keeper!
Too bad the sample is gone.
And yes a HUGE THANK YOU to Tea from Taiwan for this sample.
Full review on http://sororiteasisters.com/ on the 24th of November.

Mercuryhime

I don’t know how you all pinpoint flower notes. The best I can say is that it’s floral. What does a geranium smell like? Aah! I guess I need to do some more flower sniffing. Can someone please lead a class on floral aromas in tea?

Azzrian

That is a really cool idea. For me its due to making natural perfumes for many years AND the fact that I buy my daughter flowers at the market at least once a month sometimes more. I love flowers – trust me I have a LOT to still learn and would love to take a class! To me though it would be like trying to explain colors to someone online without using pictures. Now, get out and smell the flowers lol

Mercuryhime

Haha, I don’t even know what geraniums look like. I’m doomed! Or I could use google. whatever. :)

Azzrian

LOL you need smelloputer – that sounds gross – a scratch n sniff computer is what I mean haha!

K S

growing up, my neighbor had geraniums on her back porch. They always had a kind of prickly smell. I googled smelloputer and dang it I couldn’t locare one :)

oh good! That means I can control what I smell. :D

Mercuryhime

KS, if you could invent this, you’d be rich! Do it!

Nik

I’ve often wished that someone would continue Hans Laube’s work!

Azzrian

LOL I knew someone had done something with this at some point – need to go read this. Thanks!

I sipped this without additives and it is the single most buttery almost popcorn flavored tea I have tried to date. Really exceptional. By mid sip it blooms with a short floral blast. It literally comes out of nowhere. Just as it almost reaches a point where it would concern me it just disappears, fading into something akin to the smell of a geranium plant mixed with the taste of dandelion. The aftertaste is lingering green oolong and floral. Ok, the more I sip the more I am sensing a spice flavor. I believe it is nutmeg or something that I associate with squash pie. What a ride!

I added sweetener so see how it would respond. I must say this is the exception to the rule as far as my tastes go. It actually tastes so delicious without the additives that I wish I hadn’t tampered with it. Trust me, that seldom happens. I love my Splenda but not with the first cup of this wonderful tea.

Almost forgot – sample provided by Tea From Taiwan. Thanks!

Azzrian

Ohhh I have a sample of this I am SO on it!!! Woot!

Azzrian

Absolutely agree with your Geranium flower note!

gmathis

Wow…I lost count of taste profiles in a single sip. Sounds phenomenal. Kaleidoscopic. Groovy.

K S

This one really surprised me. The dry leaf doesn’t really have any scent.

TheTeaFairy

Mmmm, this is now on my list, great review!

This is a lovely oolong that delicately balances floral and buttery notes. I sometimes find oolongs that are more flowery to be a dangerous gamble and they often can come across as too overpowering or with slight smell of rotting. This oolong however is incredibly fresh and tastes like a freshly plucked meadow, very nice.