Dong Ding Ming Xiang (冻顶蜜香)

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Tea from Taiwan

Dong Ding Ming Xiang oolong tea is produced in the Dong Ding mountain area of Nantou county in Taiwan. Dong Ding is one of the most famous oolong tea producing regions in Taiwan. Its history stretches back to the 1860’s when a Dong Ding native brought several tea plants from China back to Taiwan. Dong Ding mountain proved to have ideal climate and soil conditions for oolong tea cultivation.

The Dong Ding area was near the epicentre of the 1999 earthquake that devastated Taiwan. In the aftermath of the disaster many of the tea plantations were left unattended. When work resumed on them and the neglected wu long was picked and processed it was found to have a deliciously sweet honey flavour.

Investigation showed that the oolong tea gets its honey flavour from secretions left on it by cicadas. In order to encourage this special flavour, Dong Ding Ming Xiang wu long tea must be grown without the use of pesticides.

Taiwan Ming Xiang wu long has a distinctive sweet taste and aroma. It brews a dark colour wu long tea that has a lingering sweetness that settles on the back of the tongue. Dong Ding Ming Xiang is truly one of the jewels of Taiwan wu long tea and is highly valued by oolong tea connoisseurs.

About Tea from Taiwan View company

I started in on this oolong after 2 rinses for 10 seconds each with 190 degree f and let it sit for 2 minutes in my yixing. My first steep was at 190 for 50 seconds. Incredibly floral, very long tea echo, very slight earthy…the beauty of this tea is in the aftertaste…its not very strong tasting while in my mouth but after it goes down, theres this explosion of sweet, perfumey flowers with a hint of citrus that reminds me of the same citrusy note i get from a yutaka midori fukamushi sencha. All in all a very enjoyable oolong that doesnt let your mouth forget its flavor after its long gone.

First of all… I think this tea is mis-named. On the package it says “Dong ding ming xiang” but then the Chinese characters are “Dong Ding Mi Xiang” (i.e. 冻顶蜜香 = Frozen summit honey fragrance). I don’t know what this “Ming” is… I’m assuming it’s just a typo.

Anyways, I might change my rating a bit later, but for right now I’m comparing this mostly with the Wu Ling (also by Teas from Taiwan) that I tried just a couple days ago. This one is a bit smokier and less sweet. Around the 3rd or 4th steeping I tasted hints of the same butterscotch-ish flavor, but it wasn’t nearly as pronounced. I liked this tea, but I think it was different from Dong Ding Wulong that I’ve had in the past.

Overall, a nice relatively mild but satisfying balanced tea. It rates below the Wuling, but it is still good!

Tried this in my brand new gaiwan that I just received yesterday from Jings Tea Shop. Much lighter than the mainland oolongs I have been drinking lately. Actually smells and taste lemony-sweet on the finish as do the leaves after the first steeping. Other than that, I just can’t get into these type of teas. Just too “light” for me. Maybe I should have prepared it in the Yixing? Oh well…sample is gone now.