2nd Flush Assam

Edit tea info Last updated by LiberTEAS

• “I started my day with steeping not one, but two pots of this tea today. The first pot that I steeped was slightly oversteeped, I think, because I tasted bitterness but not much else. It was...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4231 tasting notes
  • “Full Review on SororiteaSisters.com on the 24th but here are the snippits: 2nd Flush Assam from Tea Horse may be the first tea I have ever had from this company. I cannot recall another before...” Read full tasting note
    azzrian 807 tasting notes

From Tea Horse

A malty, rich Assam, perfect for a morning cup.

About Tea Horse View company

I started my day with steeping not one, but two pots of this tea today.

The first pot that I steeped was slightly oversteeped, I think, because I tasted bitterness but not much else. It was that “oops, I oversteeped the Assam” kind of bitterness, so I drank about half a cup of that before I decided I’d start over.

And this second pot is MARVELOUS! Sweet with caramel-y tones, and rich and malty. So very comforting and cozy. Even though it is still summer, this tea makes me feel like it’s autumn outside. It’s got that kind of coziness to it, it’s the kind of tea you want to curl up with on a cold day. And even though it is warm outside (not too hot, thankfully) because the heat hasn’t managed to make it’s way inside I can still sort of imagine it IS fall (my favorite time of year) and it is cool and it makes this kind of comfort the more enjoyable.

So, the lesson for today is: don’t oversteep this Assam. The first time, I steeped it for 2 minutes, boiling water, in my Breville. The Breville is key with this, because it does stay hotter than other brewing vessels do (at least, that has been my experience). The second time I steeped it for 1 1/2 minutes, boiling water, in my Breville. And it is perfection.

LOVE this Assam.

DARJEELING TEA LOVERS

i feel you will enjoy assam more if you just steep in water at first boil. Add 1 tea spoon (abt 1:5gram) for a cup, steep for 2mins and enjoy the cup.. Though assam is not famous for re-steeping..

LiberTEAS

I did not re-steep this tea, I steeped a new measurement of leaves after my attempt which did not turn out so well. So I made two pots of tea this morning with this tea – but both were first infusions.

Full Review on SororiteaSisters.com on the 24th but here are the snippits:

2nd Flush Assam from Tea Horse may be the first tea I have ever had from this company. I cannot recall another before it. This 2nd Flush is a good morning cup. I find the flavors evolve more if you let it cool just slightly before sipping.

What I find most pleasing with this tea is that the berry notes turn to something like a wine flavor as the cup breathes a little – cooling slightly more.

Personally I think this would make a far better tea iced or cold steeped because the longer I sip on this cup, the more flavors evolve with the caramel and malt waking up even more.

It is relatively bright in the mouthfeel however, its not heavy, or creamy, or even all that robust. It may not be the morning tea for everyone depending on how strong you like your morning tea to be.