Mao Feng

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Scheherazade

• “I wasn't all that impressed with the last Mao Feng I tried, which was from Teapigs. A box I'd had previously was seriously nice -- pale green liquor, very grassy flavour. The more recent box was...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 904 tasting notes

From Tea Palace

Grown in the Yellow Mountain region of the Anhui province for more than 300 years this tea is picked in late March.

A gentle, bright infusion with a nutty aroma and a smooth honeyed taste.

About Tea Palace View company

I wasn’t all that impressed with the last Mao Feng I tried, which was from Teapigs. A box I’d had previously was seriously nice — pale green liquor, very grassy flavour. The more recent box was yellow-brown and very bitter, without a hint of the tea I remembered so vividly. That’s why I bought this, in an attempt to rediscover a variety of tea I used to love.

First impressions with this one are much better. The dry leaf smells sweet and almost hay-like. Brewed, the liquor is a very pale yellow-green. I waited for the water to cool, and gave it a carefully watched 2 minutes. It was worth the attention, because I feel I’ve been rewarded with a palatable green tea.

The taste here is sweet, wonderfully nutty, with a vegetal note lurking in the background. It’s one of the nicer green teas I’ve tried recently, and there’s not the slightest hint of bitterness or astringency. This surprised me a little, given that the leaves are more grey-black than green, but there you go. The nuttiness becomes more prominent as the tea cools, which is nice. That’s a characteristic of green tea I can really get behind. All told, a really pleasing tea. I only have a sample tin, but that’ll be enough to be getting along with. I only really wanted to reaffirm my feelings about Mao Feng, and I’ve certainly done that!