Silver Bud Ya Bao

White Tea
White Tea Leaves
Orange Zest, Peach, Apricot, Grass, Flowers, Fruit Tree Flowers, Honey, Licorice, Melon, Cloves, Candy, Nutmeg
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by ZachMangan

Available from 1 seller.

• “Huge buds look like albino grasshoppers. A great gateway white tea the flavor is more powerful than your average (white peony) white tea. Lovely lingering spicy note and the price isn't bad either....” Read full tasting note
    MeadowTea 4 tasting notes
  • “Hello Steepster! I'm back from my trip to Minneapolis but we were so busy with my boyfriend's family that we didn't get to visit ANY tea shops much less do much sightseeing. Oh well. I'm bummed to...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2459 tasting notes
  • “Not keen on these teas as they are so subtle I basically need someone with experience to walk me through. Mostly flavors of oat-grass and a faint hint of sweetness but that's all I got out of it....” Read full tasting note
    BigDaddy 56 tasting notes
  • “I received this in my Steepster Select in March. First, this tea is not like other teas. There are actual large, yellow-white, downy BUDS in this tea. Out of the package, it smelled very fresh...” Read full tasting note
    oOTeaOo 1595 tasting notes

From Tea Source

A rare, white tea plucked at the end of winter, consisting of all buds from wild growing trees. Mellow, sweet, with an unmistakable fruitiness.

About Tea Source View company

This was a part of my free Steepster Select package. I remember having some ya bao tea as a part of a Verdant blend (the one that tasted herbal to me even though it was not an herbal) but this was the first time that I had it straight.

As lovely as the dry leaf looks, there’s something about this kind of white tea that doesn’t sit well with me. And that doesn’t mean it’s giving me indigestion or anything. There’s just something about the way it tastes… Like drinking tea sap. And I don’t think I am fond of this note. I can’t explain it! It’s like some honey note that went wrong and fermented into wood-shavings.

Well, either way, I will venture to try it again since I have one more single serving packet, and I am not going to rate it either for now * shrugs *.

I had never seen a tea like this before! I was even a little skeptical that pouring water over it would result in tea after 2.5 min, but it did.
Let my water cool a little too much before adding- steeped for 2.5 min as directed at 150F. I wish I had let it go for a little longer- the flavor is nice but a little too light.
Second steep, let it go for about 5 min, taste was roughly the same.
Grassy and fresh- exactly how you’d expect something that looks so fresh to taste. Didn’t love it though.

An interesting tea to say the least. Fuzzy silver buds come tumbling out of the package when you first open it, giving way to an herbal scent with sweet undertones.

The flavor is surprisingly mellow, allowing me to agree with the listed tasting notes. The tea sits at a nice green/gold color.

The package suggests a 2.5 min steep, I think a little longer is better for my personal taste, but I like the tea a little stronger.

*A great tea if you’re into this sort of flavor, but I prefer teas with a little more kick. It’s not a bad tea by any means. It tastes similar to a jasmine tea in my opinion.

Flavors: Flowers, Fruit Tree Flowers, Honey

160 °F / 71 °C 3 min, 15 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

This was a wonderfully light, sweet tea. Almost tasted like I had added a touch of honey to it. It’s now one of my favorites. And it is fun to see a tea that visually looks a little different. Instead of shredded leaves, this is small, silver bud tips. I ordered a pound of it and will share with friends. I’m trying to get a dedicated group of tea drinkers started in my area so we can meet and try teas and talk about teas…a tea club.

This was one of my top two in the March 2014 shipment of Steepster Select. It had a beautiful floral note in the first brew, with a bit of melon, and a slight licorice in the after taste. It lost flavor fast though – it did not have any flavor left by the third brew. Still worth it for the first two brews!

Flavors: Flowers, Licorice, Melon

Got this in my Steepster Select box this month. Oh joy!!! I’m typically a black tea drinker, by my day has been made by this special little white pile o’ fuzz. The buds look like pussywillows! Steepster recommends you use the whole amount they give you for one cup and I think they’re right. I only used about 2/3 of the envelope and wish I would have used the whole thing. My internal tea clock tells me I brewed it for about 4-5 minutes. As soon as the tea starts steeping, you can SMELLLLL the sweet floweriness of this cup. The flavor is the same—sweet flowery happiness.

If I had it to do all over again, I’d do 3tsp in my mug and keep the brew time around 4-5 min.

Flavors: Fruit Tree Flowers

This tastes rather one dimensional to me.
It isn’t until it starts to cool that you start to get any floral or fruity notes.
This is not a bad tea, but certainly not great either.
I prefer to begin sipping my tea hot…While it did not deserve to hit the drain,
It is undeserving of accolades…JMHO

The first steep was flowery and had a nice caffeine punch. Second steep had a bit of honey sweetness added, and the third steep was just a bit too diluted for my taste. I’m not a big fan of white tea, too delicate, and too much caffeine to drink a whole lot without getting jittery. That being said, I did enjoy this cup.

Flavors: Flowers, Honey

oh this tea is a delightful surprise!
first brew: 6 oz of water at 160. very subtle, but very flavorful, if that makes any sense. it’s got a lot of flavor, but like, the volume is turned way down.
second brew: 6 oz of water at probably 180 ish, a little longer. ooooh, flavor turned up a wee bit! delish!
third brew: 6 oz of water at just off boiling – about the same as second steep, although flavors have changed from “YUM” to “huh, now it’s a lot less sweet and perhaps a little … salty?”

overall, really like this unusual tea – definitely one to linger over, not to try to slam, as the quietness of the flavors are conducive to a slow exploration, not a wham bam thank you ma’am slurping. the dry leaf is crazy looking (and beautiful!), but smells rather MEH which is probably because it’s the gentle steeping that finally draws out the flavors. i recommend this tea, although i don’t believe i’d re-stock. not that i’d say no if someone sent me some.

The look of these leaves are incredibly unique. I have never seen or heard of Ya Bao tea before, which is one huge reason I signed up for Select, so I could learn about new teas. After an initial steeping, the buds have a very strong scent of peaches and a bit of cut wood. I prepared these in a gaiwan. The liquor is very pale, almost clear like water but with a gold sheen. I love white teas like this. They just look so ethereal.

Steeping Notes:

1. Notes of dry grass and very subtle earthiness at first, then becoming a sugary sweetness with a very pronounced peach flavor. There’s a very subtle spiced note like clove or cardamom.

2. More like the first steeping, a little deeper and more well rounded, more full-bodied and creamy. Lingering peach aftertaste. Slightly dry finish.

3. Mellower and softly sweet, more of a dry prairie grass background and less of the fruit flavor, though it is still present and lingers a bit at the end still. Still a very subtle spice note.

Aside from the qualities already mentioned, this tea has a sort of fizzy or “sparkling” quality, that’s hard to describe, but it was evident in the scent even before I tasted the tea itself. The only con for me at all is there is a bit of lingering dryness when drinking this tea. However, is is really quite a unique tea in so many regards and I am so happy to have had a chance to try it. I will definitely be adding some to my collection soon. Oh, and by the way, if you steep it gongfu style with short infusions, you can get many more steepings out of it before the flavor wanes.

Flavors: Cloves, Grass, Peach