Gua Feng Zhai 2012 Spring

Pu-erh Tea
Bitter, Citrus, Flowers, Peach, Spices
Edit tea info Last updated by Charles Thomas Draper

• “Quite frankly I knew I was in for a special tea. The dried leaves are the longest I have ever seen. The initial steepings presented an intense mouth feel and flavors that I can never describe. ...” Read full tasting note
    chasmargate 294 tasting notes
  • “I used to have a bath oil that was suppose to be "Butterfly Nectar" but was a bit sweet and cloying and artificial. This tea is what I bought that hoping it would smell like. A little...” Read full tasting note
    Miss_Phi 16 tasting notes
  • “Another insanely good TeaUrchin sheng! Woo! This is the last un-tasted TeaUrchin sample from my birthday gift from my husband. This is definitely not one I would have picked out for myself just for...” Read full tasting note
    paradigmamnesia 1103 tasting notes

From Tea Urchin

Made from 300-500 year old tea trees, growing in the forest, three hours walk from the village of Gua Feng Zhai, this is a feisty, full flavored, early spring cake that will power through 10+ infusions and keep on giving. This tea has a highly energising chaqi with a sweet huigan top note. Avoid drinking on an empty stomach or it will make you dizzy.

About Tea Urchin View company

Quite frankly I knew I was in for a special tea. The dried leaves are the longest I have ever seen. The initial steepings presented an intense mouth feel and flavors that I can never describe. The later steepings became more subdued but still beyond interesting nonetheless. I have totally fallen for the world of Sheng. Beyond the flavor and aroma profiles you are dealing with teas which are mind blowing. Teas that take your mind and body to places you have never been before. To say I highly recommend this tea would be an understatement.

Asaf Mazar

Thanks for sharing! sorting out the phenomenal shengs from the mundane is something that is best done from recommendations such as this rather than from vendor descriptions. I look forwards to trying this one.

Charles Thomas Draper

Asaf, it is all that and more…

Terri HarpLady

Although still new in this area, I also find sheng quite alluring, not to mention mind-blowing, 3rd eye opening, etc.
It’s a tea that I have to reserve for its own time, & sometimes I look at all of the shengs out there, wanting to try a new one. Mostly I’m relying on reviews of others to make my selections, so thanks Charles! This one sounds interesting!

I used to have a bath oil that was suppose to be “Butterfly Nectar” but was a bit sweet and cloying and artificial. This tea is what I bought that hoping it would smell like. A little floral, a little spicey, a little bitter, a little fruit… but all together light and ethereal! You need to pay full attention to the tea to really get all of the notes, and I wasn’t prepared for that on the first steeping. I had to have a lil bit of a heavy hand brewing this, but it is totally worth it.

Wow… and the second time brewing it… (I should note I had a cold for part of it, but was sharing with my sister) I was super surprised how much it blossomed after I would have thought it was long dead. In the late teens early 20s steeps… I am getting serious dark peach notes. And the taste lingers forever. This is the magic of GFZ and why people pay crazy prices… its after taste and steepings that get better and better and longer and longer…

Flavors: Bitter, Citrus, Flowers, Peach, Spices

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 30 sec 8 g 3 OZ / 88 ML

Another insanely good TeaUrchin sheng! Woo!

This is the last un-tasted TeaUrchin sample from my birthday gift from my husband. This is definitely not one I would have picked out for myself just for the cost alone. (30g for $17.50)

But yes, it is indeed something special. Delicious floral sweetness, nice balance with the tangy “bitter” spice notes, and amazing cha qi. I am tea drunk at work :) “One Thousand Butterflies” FTW

I’m super impressed with TeaUrchin in general and would recommend them to all fans of raw puerh!

boychik

Glad you are having a good time with this sheng! Tea drunk hehe

Stephanie

Sheng does almost give me a “buzz” sometimes. Maybe the Theanine? I dunno. Good stuff though!!!

Sarsonator

Your husband must be pretty awesome!

Stephanie