Man Zhuan 2012 Spring

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Doug F

• “I've been drinking Shengs for a while now, but other than a couple selections from Verdant tea, most of my purchases have been moderately priced cakes and samples; they've been enjoyable but I felt...” Read full tasting note
    triumph 109 tasting notes
  • “i get notes of apricot skin, dryness on the tongue and lingering flavor on the back of my throat. Somewhat sweet with a pleasant bitterness, and a bit "darker" tasting than most shengs. Not dark...” Read full tasting note
    paradigmamnesia 966 tasting notes

From Tea Urchin

Man Zhuan 蛮砖 is one of the 6 famous tea mountains of ancient times. This cake is made from 100-300 year old tea trees growing at 1,250m elevation. The liquor is an attractive bright honey color, and the thick soup creates a smooth, rounded mouthfeel. The aroma is pleasingly sweet, with that signature floral scent of Yiwu teas. But the flavour is most impressive, full of grass & fresh hay, quite bitter when pushed, but with almost no astringency. This multi dimensional taste suggests it will age well. One of the highlights of this tea is the huigan, which leaves a persistent sweetness in the throat, even after 5 infusions. Read more about Man Zhuan on our blog. This limited production run of 42 cakes was completely hand picked, hand processed & stone pressed in Yiwu.

About Tea Urchin View company

I’ve been drinking Shengs for a while now, but other than a couple selections from Verdant tea, most of my purchases have been moderately priced cakes and samples; they’ve been enjoyable but I felt it was time to really explore the upper echelons of raw pu-erhs and from what I learned, Tea Urchin was the place to go. I bought four samples and Eugene generously threw in a fifth and suggested I start with the manzhuan. This is a young tea and I bought these samples with an eye to getting a cake and aging it.

The first couple of steeps were sweet and complex with that lovely eucalyptus taste and a fruity base. Successive steeps became quite bitter (as I expected) but still very rich and tasty. Quality Shengs also generate heat and energy in the throat and chest and this one was no exception. I was buoyed along during the day on a steady tea high.

With this sheng—and, I’m sure, with my other more expensive samples—I feel like I’m crossing the borderland from tea to precious elixir.

Doug F

Still delicious and complex, with a tart, fruity sweetness reminiscent of apricots and grapefruit. The real deal!

i get notes of apricot skin, dryness on the tongue and lingering flavor on the back of my throat. Somewhat sweet with a pleasant bitterness, and a bit “darker” tasting than most shengs. Not dark like a black tea or a shu, I’m really not sure how to describe it! I do not have the words for this…FAIL.

Great tea buzz from this one though :) TEA ENERGY FTW