2013 Yiwu Peacock blend

Pu-erh Tea
Blackberry, Brown Sugar, Dark Wood, Floral, Honey, Plums, Raisins, Sweet, Apricot, Camphor, Fruity, Milk, Pleasantly Sour, Sour, Vegetal, Creamy, Hay
Edit tea info Last updated by mrmopar
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 5 oz / 155 ml

• “This company has some great puerh. I’ve always enjoyed a majority of their productions, and this pressing is no different. I’ve heard a lot of noise about this tea, and the tea gods...” Read full tasting note
    Haveteawilltravel 377 tasting notes
  • “Really like this sheng. Its fruity and pleasantly sour. With a slightly thick mouth. The strength of taste isnt too strong at first, and I have had three cups during extended lie-in butnow im...” Read full tasting note
    rasseru 230 tasting notes
  • “Used 7g with boiling water in a 100mL gaiwan. It was quite good, especially steeps 2-5 or so. Got some kind of creamy vegetal or hay notes. It got more and more drying as I went past steep five...” Read full tasting note
    Matu 209 tasting notes
  • “Talk about some amazing breakage. The sample of this that I was given looked like 100% loose leaf. Quite beautiful :) This woke me up this morning quick quickly with the strength and bitter tones...” Read full tasting note
    Proust614 938 tasting notes

From Tea Urchin

Our blend of carefully selected, 100+ years old Yiwu 乔木 tea bushes, this is a punchy full flavored cake with lots going for it – brown sugar fragrance, a honey sweet liquor that coats the whole mouth, and some nice bitterness to balance. It is surprisingly complex, with the astringency of smaller trees, but easily countered with shorter steep times. Buy together with it’s sister cake – our 2013 Spring Yiwu Snake Blend which was made from ancient trees 古树 and provides an interesting comparison.

About Tea Urchin View company

This company has some great puerh. I’ve always enjoyed a majority of their productions, and this pressing is no different. I’ve heard a lot of noise about this tea, and the tea gods smiled on me and some ended up in my gaiwan. The cake is heavily aromatic with a sweet floral character as well as some spice. A heavy dark wood note acts as a soft but stern base. I warmed my gaiwan up and prepared for brewing. The warmed cake becomes even better by giving off intense scents of plum, raisan, juicy blackberries, honey, and the same dark wood base. This tea has a lot to give and has some unique scents. I washed the leaves once and prepared for brewing. The tate begins light and very sweet. A thick oily mouth-feel followed by encompassing honey tones. The aftertaste is a long and lasting succlent taste with a slight bitterness. The tea carries a faint mesquite flavor in later steeping, and then morphs into an intense brown sugar note. Past that, a light floral note introduces itself, I beleive it to be lily or maybe even a subtle iris. The qi is spot on with an invigorating cooling sensation that begins at heart center as well as a good head buzz. The taste has a kicker huigan and slight kuwei. This is a solid blend, and I really enjoyed it. The only fallback is that the tea drops abrutly. The flavors, huigan, and sensations falter instantly while brewing. Nevertheless, this is still a great puerh. This is one of the teas that you go to the website to buy during the session; however, the tea is now sold out. That realization of a lost tea made me rather sad. I hear the 2016 blend is going to be released soon though…

Flavors: Blackberry, Brown Sugar, Dark Wood, Floral, Honey, Plums, Raisins, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

i had to put myself on puerh hiatus…but this is tempting..thankfully it’s sold out haha

Rasseru

I made it sold out :)

Rasseru

But yeah, most things I’ve had from TU have been great

Please keep things friendly and .

Really like this sheng. Its fruity and pleasantly sour. With a slightly thick mouth. The strength of taste isnt too strong at first, and I have had three cups during extended lie-in butnow im buzzing. Its a bit too strong for me, as with other Tea Urchin teas I have tried they seem to hit me quite hard.

Slightly camphor nose & a comforting fruity & vegetal that I seem to like from Yiwu, although this one isnt as round as the snake blend, but there is something soft about it. I sometimes get creamy from this as well – its something like milk, not taste, but in its structure and feels in my mouth. Nice stuff, but im currently balancing on the edge of it falling into sourness, which isnt my preference with this milky-structured (to me) sheng.

I freally really dig the wrapper art as well :D

Flavors: Apricot, Camphor, Fruity, Milk, Pleasantly Sour, Sour, Vegetal

Kirkoneill1988

the wrapper looks cute

Dr Jim

IMHO this is the best value in Sheng.

Please keep things friendly and .

Used 7g with boiling water in a 100mL gaiwan. It was quite good, especially steeps 2-5 or so. Got some kind of creamy vegetal or hay notes. It got more and more drying as I went past steep five though, so I think next time I’ll try this with either 200 degree water or a bit less leaf. I suppose I could go and try it both ways. Also, after reading Tea Urchin’s description, I think I may have increased steep times a little bit too quickly. Definitely is good though :)

Flavors: Creamy, Hay, Sweet, Vegetal

7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
mrmopar

This is excellent bang for the buck.

Matu

Yea it does seem like it’ll be great once I get the brewing figured out to my liking. Got one of the last few cakes ;)

Please keep things friendly and .

This woke me up this morning quick quickly with the strength and bitter tones to it. I will say that it is always interesting to notice the difference in taste from 15s to 20s, there’s a lot that goes on within 5s. This is one that I have to almost flash brew to enjoy it’s liquid.

Please keep things friendly and .

I’ve been finally working my way through the samples the Stephanie sent to me!
One of the many things I love about using a yixing pot is that every time I open the lid, the tea has grown. Its like opening a present over & over again. I know that probably sounds silly, but my inner child, little terri, loves it. It makes me smile.

So…what to say about this tea…the aroma is very sweet, almost syrupy, the liquor is a beautiful amber. The tea itself is a little tart at first, then sweet like apricot, but with a bitter edge on the tip of the tongue to balance it out. The tea buzz is very clarifying, and a real ‘feel good’ kind of energy. I like that.
There is a floral after taste, especially in the 4th & 5th steeps, which also taste of dried bell peppers. Weird, but true.
Thanks again for sharing Stephanie!

Please keep things friendly and .

I got a sample of this from the lovely Stephanie

Quite nice. Sweet with an almost bitter finish.

It took me several infusions to figure out what it tastes like: bell pepper!

Yummy!

Please keep things friendly and .

Beautiful leaf from 100+ year YiWu tea trees so I was anxious to try this one. First few steeps were very subtle – pleasant enough but little depth or complexity. For a moment I wondered if I should just move on to another tea but I decided to keep working with this Yiwu. After the fourth steep there was stronger flavor but certainly not overwhelming – sweet taste, coats the mouth and throat and lingers; enough subtle bitterness slips in to balance nicely. In general this is an easy to drink tea with beautiful high quality leaf. It won’t knock you over with its flavor but a good tea to keep on hand. I used 6.5 grams with a 5s rinse and a 30s idle followed by 10s, 10s, 15s, 20s, 25s, 30s, 40s steeps. Not my favorite YiWu but definitely worth owning. Note: fairly priced at $35 for a 357g cake.

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 4 OZ / 125 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

This generous sample came to me from Stephanie – thank you so much.
5g 150ml gaiwan 195F
rinse/pause/5/5/5/10/10/15/15 etc
i think i had this tea over 4 days, still saved leaves,may try today.
beautiful long leaves. 1st steep was very nice mild, sweet and citrusy. nice mouthfeel,sweet peppers emerging
i decided to raise the temp to 200F
the color is dark yellow-orange. very juicy, sweet peppers and apricots. The following steeps were very sweet. eventually peppery notes disappeared and were just sweet and mild, some astringency (nothing major) and no bitterness ( or maybe it was just barely noticeable and i just got used to it). Anyway very nice and positive experience. Made me tea drunk ;)

Myssy

I got an nice sample of this from Stephanie as well and after reading this note I’m looking forward to it even more than I already was :)

Please keep things friendly and .

Thanks a bunch to Yang-chu and the rest of the Steepsters who went in on a big TeaUrchin order! And special thanks to mrmopar for hooking me up with the puerh group order thread :)

Trying my first sheng from the shared cakes! YAY! The leaves are slightly glossy and beautifully compressed. (All the leaves from the TeaUrchin order appear high quality to my admittedly untrained eyes.) This is an energetic, punchy young thing with pleasant astringency and slight bitterness. Slight floral undertones and just enough sweetness to balance it out. I REALLY dig this. Very happy I got to have some. I will eagerly drink the rest :D

Can’t wait to try the others!

boychik

sounds soo good! Enjoy!

mrmopar

I really liked this one also. Great example of good Yiwu tea.

Please keep things friendly and .

This is a very fragrant tea with scents of floral and brown sugar. It is a “Full bodied” sheng that brings a lot to the plate. It starts out very subtle in the first couple of steeps with notes of some slight sweetness that is very full mouth feeling. It carries on well in the later steeps with some bitterness that rises to the front. It is pretty gentle to be a young sheng with none of the harsh bitterness many bring to the cup. Very nice and enjoyable.
205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
mrmopar

Yeah I think we are getting a community order in for The Tea Urchin.

Stephanie

Do they offer just samples for sale? I don’t have proper whole cake storage yet…

mrmopar

They do, I bought this one as a sample with a couple of cakes from them.
that link should get you there. We are working on a community order since shipping is $20.00 US for any order. check the puerh of the day sheng or shou discussion.

Stephanie