Bao Tang 2013 Spring

Pu-erh Tea
Toffee, Brown Toast, Butter, Hay, Sweet, warm grass
Edit tea info Last updated by SWApilot

From Tea Urchin

One of our hidden gems. Made from low yielding ancient trees, growing in forest at 1,820-1,870m. A blissful aroma of brown sugar and toffee wafts from the emptied cup, matched with a bright, clear liquor, deliciously sweet on the palate, and a long finish accentuated by huigan. We highly recommend this!

About Tea Urchin View company

I found initial flavors quite pleasing, similar to what other folks have commented on hay and toffee. No somatic feeling during or after whatsoever. Later steepings are just a bit too mellow for me to appreciate; the overall experience has a tendency to tapper off about 6th-7th steeping…sweetness is still there but steadily becomes not as pronounced -to be expected on teas of lower quality.

Which brings me to the “should order/should not order” conversation… if given the chance to re-do my last Tea Urchin order I would save my money by not ordering this tea (sample) and put the money towards a sample of higher quality. Additionally, I now find this a truism: save the lower quality stuff for a vendor whose specialization is more lower to mid quality, like Yunnan Sourcing.

Acquired 30g sample from Teaurchin.com for $6 USD, March 2015.

Flavors: Toffee

Light, no bitterness or astringency what so ever, grassy/sweet hay, slight “grass fed” butter flavor and hint of waffles in the aromatics , lasting flavor and feeling on the outer sides of the tongue.

A great value if lighter grassier teas are your thing not a favorite of mine personally but definitely indicative of older tress from a spring flushing.

Flavors: Brown Toast, Butter, Hay, Sweet, warm grass

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 4 OZ / 125 ML
DeliriumsFrogs

Sounds really interesting. :D

This is VERY good! Thanks for the sample Marzipan

Stephanie

Aaaaand Steepster ate most of my note…SIGH

DigniTea

I also enjoyed this one quite a bit. Glad you had a chance to try it.

I believe this is my first experience with a Baotang tea. The quality of the material used in this cake is excellent. Baotang is a village in Mengsong township, Menghai. Apparently, in Baotang the trees are large & ancient, growing in biodiverse, organic gardens. Beautiful leaves produce a bright and clear gold tea soup with a crisp vegetal aroma and taste. Pleasant but not impressive at this point. Very soon the leaves open up and begin to produce a much more interesting cup of tea – increasingly thick in the mouth with a nice bitterness that turns into a pleasant lingering sweetness. Moving through five quick steepings, the cups become increasingly mellow and smooth. I was left with a lingering mouthfeel and a good mellow feeling. I like this tea!
Update: Seems to be enjoyable for 6 steepings and after that it fades.

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 85 ML
Stephanie

Sounds good to me :D

tea123

I’ve heard a mention of biodoverse before. I’m thinking of buying that one soon.

AllanK

I had a sample of a Tea Urchin tea recently and I thought it excellent. This sounds good too.

DigniTea

I find that I can always count on TU for hi quality productions because they are able to source very fine raw material. I am a big fan.

Another truly amazing tea from Eugene and Belle (I sense a theme here). They say that this tea is “One of our hidden gems”, and folks it really is. The color of the liquor is a beautiful gold and it smells like hay mixed with a bit of butter and hint of brown sugar. The tea itself is very smooth with lots of great huigan and absolutely no kuwei or astringency. The taste of the tea is that of grass with light undertones of butter, nuttiness, and brown sugar. As with all Tea Urchin teas the energy of this tea is unbelievable. Almost forty minutes after my steeping session my taste buds are still excited and I can actually still taste the tea!!! Well done Eugene and Belle, and at $58 for 357g this tea is an outstanding bargain.

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 147 ML