Karigane #22

High
Edit tea info Last updated by ZachMangan

Available from 1 seller.

From Tea Wing

A blend of stems and leaves which are shaded 20 days prior to harvest. This kabuse is naturally sweet and bright with a beautiful aroma. The shaded leaves are a deep green and the steeped liquor yield has an almost “chewy” mouthfeel. Lots of flavor.

About Tea Wing View company

I had this one before heading out today. I should preface this with the fact tha ti’m not overly a fan of straight greens….i’d rather get my veggies by eating them. :) I was also a little skeptical of this one because the package indicates hazelnut notes… i was right. never did find those.. But on the whole, this was a relatively pleasant green tea that i got a few steepings out of. Nice to try….next!!

Fjellrev

I’m with you on the vegetal factor. Not my thing either.

Rounding out my first box of steepster select, this tea is incredible. I spend a lot of time drinking and trying various greens, and this one was truly unique for me. It is quite grassy with buttery notes and a smooth, nutty finish. Really good.

It’s a good thing they offered this Dec box for free, because I wouldn’t have signed up otherwise. Now I’m hooked.

Beautiful green tea. Perfectly balanced roasted notes and fresh, green flavors, mild enough to definitely be green but bold enough that I would be comfortable pairing it with a sushi dinner as well as enjoying it on its own. Zero bitterness, just fresh, comfortable flavors. 9/10, would recommend and drink again.

I’ve already reviewed this tea, but I really didn’t give it the review that it deserved. The first few times that I steeped this tea, I was brewing it at 175 F and while still good, I felt like I really just was not getting as much flavor as I wanted. And since this is considered as an alternative to pricier gyokuro (tea wing’s description) thought I would brew it in a similar fashion as I would with gyokuro. I used 2 teaspoons, and started at 145 F (increasing by 10 degrees each steep). Once I did this, all I can say is WOW! The first cup especially, was stunningly good. “Deep and savory” like Tea Wing’s description. Please but this tea, you’ll be glad you did.

Backlog:

The third tea that I tried from the December Steepster Select box. A really nice green. The flavor is evocative of sweet grass and lightly buttered vegetables. It has a strong vegetative taste so if you’re one who tends to shy away from green teas because they don’t like that overly vegetal taste, then this is not the tea for you.

I enjoyed it though. A pleasantly invigorating tea. Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/01/02/karigane-22-tea-wing/

This is a great japanese green tea. I found that it reminded me most of a cup of matcha…probably because of the small, fine leaves. Very grassy and flavorful.

Flavors: Grass

It was hard to get over the fishy taste in this tea.

Deliciously addicting green tea that’s sweet and grassy. The taste was vegetal and sweet to the point of being very similar to a matcha. Strong clean flavor.

I was really looking forward by this newest offering from Tea Wing, as I have been consistently blown away by their various Yame sencha. I also heard good things from people who had received samples in the Steepster Select program.

The tea (as usual with Tea Wing) did not arrive with any brewing recommendations, so I first tried my standard sencha technique of 175°F for 1 minute. Quite a lot of astringency and a very hard caffeine edge. Not what I was expecting.

What I discovered later is that a much cooler temperature brings out the best of this tea. The dry leaves have an incredible almost berry-like sweetness and freshness, and that same aroma translates to the cup when this tea is brewed at 160°F.

Once the leaves have opened up with the first steeping, hot water can be used for a second or third infusion. Using 208°F for a quick 10 seconds worked well. This tea has an incredibly long finish; the sweetness lingers in my mouth for several minutes, something I normally associate with good oolong teas.

Recommended!

First: 3g tea, 5oz water @ 160°F, 1 minute 30 seconds
Second: 208°F, 10 seconds
Third: 208°F, 10 seconds

160 °F / 71 °C 1 min, 30 sec 3 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

I am another steepster select recipient and was excited to try this tea. I am usually a fan of Japanese greens and I thought this was a particularly nice one. Surprisingly low astringency, it was very flavorful with a mellow, low key sweetness. Nice and grassy without being overwhelming. To me it was well balanced and re-steeped well. I may have to purchase more in the future.