Karigane #22

High
Edit tea info Last updated by ZachMangan

Available from 1 seller.

From Tea Wing

A blend of stems and leaves which are shaded 20 days prior to harvest. This kabuse is naturally sweet and bright with a beautiful aroma. The shaded leaves are a deep green and the steeped liquor yield has an almost “chewy” mouthfeel. Lots of flavor.

About Tea Wing View company

I was really looking forward by this newest offering from Tea Wing, as I have been consistently blown away by their various Yame sencha. I also heard good things from people who had received samples in the Steepster Select program.

The tea (as usual with Tea Wing) did not arrive with any brewing recommendations, so I first tried my standard sencha technique of 175°F for 1 minute. Quite a lot of astringency and a very hard caffeine edge. Not what I was expecting.

What I discovered later is that a much cooler temperature brings out the best of this tea. The dry leaves have an incredible almost berry-like sweetness and freshness, and that same aroma translates to the cup when this tea is brewed at 160°F.

Once the leaves have opened up with the first steeping, hot water can be used for a second or third infusion. Using 208°F for a quick 10 seconds worked well. This tea has an incredibly long finish; the sweetness lingers in my mouth for several minutes, something I normally associate with good oolong teas.

Recommended!

First: 3g tea, 5oz water @ 160°F, 1 minute 30 seconds
Second: 208°F, 10 seconds
Third: 208°F, 10 seconds

160 °F / 71 °C 1 min, 30 sec 3 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

I am another steepster select recipient and was excited to try this tea. I am usually a fan of Japanese greens and I thought this was a particularly nice one. Surprisingly low astringency, it was very flavorful with a mellow, low key sweetness. Nice and grassy without being overwhelming. To me it was well balanced and re-steeped well. I may have to purchase more in the future.

I like green teas with strong, but balanced grassy flavors. This fits the bill. You can also brew this a bit stronger and still avoid bitter flavors.

This is the first one out of Select that I’m not in love with so far. The nori taste is too strong and a bit sour for me. It’s got none of the sweetness of matcha. Maybe it’ll mellow out on a second steep? And the whole chewy thing just isn’t working for me.

Just not my groove. Not horrible, but I wouldn’t buy it.

I dont love it but it was a great new try.

This tea has an amazing cut grass aroma from the dry leaves. I didn’t think I would be a fan of this tea when I first tried it. However, as each sip I started to appreciate the layers of flavor. There is the fresh cut grass and nori flavors. I didn’t get the hazelnut finish until the tea had cooler. Finally, there is a slight astringency that that helps finish out the tea so that the flavors are not overwhelming.

First off, this is only getting such a low score because I’m placing it partway between my enjoyment of its notes (I dislike nori and overly grassy teas) and actual quality (it’s honestly a very good grassy/nori tea).

Strong, rich nori flavour with grassy high notes. Sweet, considering the savoury elements in it. I get an initial burst of grassiness, a bit sharp, which fades to sweetness and then a deep, round, almost creamy savouriness – somewhat nutty, mostly nori – and finishes very grassy and fairly dry. Very intense flavours, but not overwhelming or cluttered, just powerful and complex.

Because nori is the primary note here, and I dislike that in my teas, I don’t particularly enjoy this, but I’m impressed by it. It seems like a high quality, complex tea that I would probably rate a 90 if I was looking for a grassy nori-heavy tea. I’ll probably give the next cup of this to someone else who will appreciate it more, but I’m glad to have tried it.

The tea when steeped is a pale green color. The aroma is definitely stronger than the taste, which does meet the “creamy grass” notes described on the package along with some other vegetative aroma I couldn’t identify (and wasn’t a huge fan of).

Drinkable for sure, and light, but not my favorite.