Karigane #22

High
Edit tea info Last updated by ZachMangan

Available from 1 seller.

From Tea Wing

A blend of stems and leaves which are shaded 20 days prior to harvest. This kabuse is naturally sweet and bright with a beautiful aroma. The shaded leaves are a deep green and the steeped liquor yield has an almost “chewy” mouthfeel. Lots of flavor.

About Tea Wing View company

I like green teas with strong, but balanced grassy flavors. This fits the bill. You can also brew this a bit stronger and still avoid bitter flavors.

This is the first one out of Select that I’m not in love with so far. The nori taste is too strong and a bit sour for me. It’s got none of the sweetness of matcha. Maybe it’ll mellow out on a second steep? And the whole chewy thing just isn’t working for me.

Just not my groove. Not horrible, but I wouldn’t buy it.

I dont love it but it was a great new try.

This tea has an amazing cut grass aroma from the dry leaves. I didn’t think I would be a fan of this tea when I first tried it. However, as each sip I started to appreciate the layers of flavor. There is the fresh cut grass and nori flavors. I didn’t get the hazelnut finish until the tea had cooler. Finally, there is a slight astringency that that helps finish out the tea so that the flavors are not overwhelming.

First off, this is only getting such a low score because I’m placing it partway between my enjoyment of its notes (I dislike nori and overly grassy teas) and actual quality (it’s honestly a very good grassy/nori tea).

Strong, rich nori flavour with grassy high notes. Sweet, considering the savoury elements in it. I get an initial burst of grassiness, a bit sharp, which fades to sweetness and then a deep, round, almost creamy savouriness – somewhat nutty, mostly nori – and finishes very grassy and fairly dry. Very intense flavours, but not overwhelming or cluttered, just powerful and complex.

Because nori is the primary note here, and I dislike that in my teas, I don’t particularly enjoy this, but I’m impressed by it. It seems like a high quality, complex tea that I would probably rate a 90 if I was looking for a grassy nori-heavy tea. I’ll probably give the next cup of this to someone else who will appreciate it more, but I’m glad to have tried it.

The tea when steeped is a pale green color. The aroma is definitely stronger than the taste, which does meet the “creamy grass” notes described on the package along with some other vegetative aroma I couldn’t identify (and wasn’t a huge fan of).

Drinkable for sure, and light, but not my favorite.