Karigane #22

High
Edit tea info Last updated by ZachMangan

Available from 1 seller.

From Tea Wing

A blend of stems and leaves which are shaded 20 days prior to harvest. This kabuse is naturally sweet and bright with a beautiful aroma. The shaded leaves are a deep green and the steeped liquor yield has an almost “chewy” mouthfeel. Lots of flavor.

About Tea Wing View company

This is the first one out of Select that I’m not in love with so far. The nori taste is too strong and a bit sour for me. It’s got none of the sweetness of matcha. Maybe it’ll mellow out on a second steep? And the whole chewy thing just isn’t working for me.

Just not my groove. Not horrible, but I wouldn’t buy it.

I dont love it but it was a great new try.

This tea has an amazing cut grass aroma from the dry leaves. I didn’t think I would be a fan of this tea when I first tried it. However, as each sip I started to appreciate the layers of flavor. There is the fresh cut grass and nori flavors. I didn’t get the hazelnut finish until the tea had cooler. Finally, there is a slight astringency that that helps finish out the tea so that the flavors are not overwhelming.

First off, this is only getting such a low score because I’m placing it partway between my enjoyment of its notes (I dislike nori and overly grassy teas) and actual quality (it’s honestly a very good grassy/nori tea).

Strong, rich nori flavour with grassy high notes. Sweet, considering the savoury elements in it. I get an initial burst of grassiness, a bit sharp, which fades to sweetness and then a deep, round, almost creamy savouriness – somewhat nutty, mostly nori – and finishes very grassy and fairly dry. Very intense flavours, but not overwhelming or cluttered, just powerful and complex.

Because nori is the primary note here, and I dislike that in my teas, I don’t particularly enjoy this, but I’m impressed by it. It seems like a high quality, complex tea that I would probably rate a 90 if I was looking for a grassy nori-heavy tea. I’ll probably give the next cup of this to someone else who will appreciate it more, but I’m glad to have tried it.

The tea when steeped is a pale green color. The aroma is definitely stronger than the taste, which does meet the “creamy grass” notes described on the package along with some other vegetative aroma I couldn’t identify (and wasn’t a huge fan of).

Drinkable for sure, and light, but not my favorite.