Lopchu Flowery Orange Pekoe Darjeeling Black Tea

Edit tea info Last updated by sunshine5150
Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 7 oz / 200 ml

1 Tasting Note View all

• “Yea gods this tea is good! I swear that if you'd told me that this is a Darj I would have laughed. It's a 2nd flush (my favorite!) Darjeeling, and being only FOP, you'd think that it wouldn't be...” Read full tasting note
    NofarS 412 tasting notes

From Teabox

This FOP black tea from Lopchu plantation in Darjeeling has a distinct character. It is an uncommon, hard-to-find tea with a strong earthy body which is redolent of the cool, pine tree-studded hills of Darjeeling.

Situated between Darjeeling and Teesta, Lopchu estate’s teas have been a hit with connoisseurs the world over due its fragrant leaf and excellent quality. Lopchu garden has about 226 acres under tea production and much of the tea gets exported to Germany and other European countries. Most of the tea trees were originally transplanted from Yunnan Province in China. Chinese bushes together with the unique climate in Darjeeling has given Lopchu a delicate muscatel flavour, a fine aroma that is known for soothing experience. Lopchu teas can be enjoyed not just when its hot but also cold as iced teas.

Sku: LCFOPB

90-100C / 194-212F
3-5 Mins

About Teabox View company

1 Tasting Note

Yea gods this tea is good! I swear that if you’d told me that this is a Darj I would have laughed.
It’s a 2nd flush (my favorite!) Darjeeling, and being only FOP, you’d think that it wouldn’t be great, but it is!
Imagine the best of Assam joined with the best of Darjeeling, and this will be it. And no, this is not a blend. There is something of the etherealness and light body of the Darj, coupled with the bassiness and nutty, earthy sweetness of Assam in this tea.
The only minus to be found is that it is astringent, and it’s not shy about it. I used a bit of sugar (less than a spoon) to tone it down, otherwise it would have been unpleasant. As it was, it was just a faint puckering of the mouth after every sip.
A unique tea experience, and something that I will buy more of.

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 7 OZ / 200 ML
yyz

I love the tea from this estate too. I usually brew at a lower temp. So I haven’t had a problem with astringency, but as with many Darjeeling’s you may get different flavour notes at different temps. I agree it is a unique tea. I always have it in my cupboard when I can find it here. I’m glad you loved it!

NofarS

After a few tries with Teabox teas, I’m going to the upper end of temperature, and the lower end of leafing, but I will certainly try this tea at a lower temperature. I don’t mind a reasonable amount of astringency, but I know that it’s off-putting to certain people, which is why I normally mention it.

Really……..