Assam Mokalbari 2nd Flush SFTGFOP1

Edit tea info Last updated by Oolonga

• “Another tea box tea! I love a good Assam, and that’s just what this is. It’s rich and earthy, but it also has lots of sweetness and fruity notes. The sweetness comes at the end of the sip, and...” Read full tasting note
    Veronica 671 tasting notes
  • “I had this twice now for free at my local Tea Gschwendner since I am still their FourSquare Mayor. It it rich, I get the tobacco flavor, it is complex with multiple layers of flavors which I love....” Read full tasting note
    RachanaC 429 tasting notes
  • “I was looking for a smokey tea this morning, but this one didn't smell very smokey. It actually has a very sweet scent. The brew is a reddish brown color that looks delicious. The flavor is very...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1325 tasting notes
  • “I've had this one several Sunday's in a row now. It is my third TeaGschwendner assam to try out of four. As with the previous ones, this Assam also has a lighter profile. For me, this tea is...” Read full tasting note
    Kitty 36 tasting notes

From TeaGschwendner

Our most popular Assam. Situated on the banks of the mighty Brahmaputra River, the Mokalbari is a regional superstar. Once you have tried this generous, burnt orange cup you will find it difficult to drink other Assams without a touch of nostalgia. Complex and haunting, with notes of burnt caramel, squash, almond butter and earthy tobacco. It’s a long way down from here.

About TeaGschwendner View company

Another tea box tea!

I love a good Assam, and that’s just what this is. It’s rich and earthy, but it also has lots of sweetness and fruity notes. The sweetness comes at the end of the sip, and it leaves a nice lingering note of caramel. Yum! It is a touch astringent, but it’s a good thing as it works well with this tea. The flavors are really full and wonderful. So, I just read the company’s description of this tea, and they mention tobacco. Yes. That’s the earthy note at the beginning. A tiny bit smokey but mostly earth.

This one is a winner. I’m so glad I got to try it. Thanks Tea Sipper for putting it in the box. It’s delightful!

I had this twice now for free at my local Tea Gschwendner since I am still their FourSquare Mayor. It it rich, I get the tobacco flavor, it is complex with multiple layers of flavors which I love. I am putting this in my shopping cart as well. It is complicated in a good way just like me.

I was looking for a smokey tea this morning, but this one didn’t smell very smokey. It actually has a very sweet scent. The brew is a reddish brown color that looks delicious. The flavor is very full! It has many layers almost. It is a bit smokey, but when I want a smokey tea, it has to be very, very smokey. The flavor is a bit malty, robust. I love the description of the flavors up there! And I’d say they are pretty accurate! Very delicious!

I’ve had this one several Sunday’s in a row now. It is my third TeaGschwendner assam to try out of four. As with the previous ones, this Assam also has a lighter profile. For me, this tea is just OK. For a top tier Assam, it just doesn’t compare to the Mangalam, Nahorhabi, Duflating, or Doomni teas I have been drinking lately. There is nothing really wrong with this tea – it just isn’t very exciting. Mostly just bright tea flavor. For the price, I would much rather have one of the other top tier Assams.

As a side note, I also expected more golden tips for the price of this tea. There were very few. The other thing – I don’t really care for the packaging TeaGschwendner uses. The tea comes in bags that simply crimp over the top – not air tight. I’ve been spoiled by Upton’s packaging.

Doug F

I’ve been enjoying a Mangalam from Upton for the past few months. They make some great teas.

Kitty

Yes – me too! Also the one from Harney is very nice

While I am a die hard Oolong guy, I must confess that in the depths of winter I look for very robust tastes, unlike the delicate oolong.
This mornings tea comes from the amazing folks at TeaGshwender – if you are here in Chicago, this is the best source for teas locally – and one of the best mail order sources as well. http://www.teamerchants.com is there link.
I brewed up in my Miracle (also available from TGsh) some of their Assam Mokalbari Garden 2nd Flush SFTGFOP1. 1.5 teaspoons per 8oz boiling water for 3 minutes. Burned Red/Orange in the cup, with an awesome malty nose. Complex taste – toffee, brown sugar, nuts, with a spicy after, and just enough astringency to make the next sip refreshing. Almost creamy mouthfeel.
I find myslef savoring and analyzing each sip. One of my freinds stated that after drinking this, there is no point in drinking other Assams, as they are just mere mortal knockoffs. I usually drink most blacks with a splash of milk to hold down the astringency – but this is one I can drink without, or with a touch of sugar, or practically any combo. Excellent, I highly recommend this one.

A great black tea from Assam. Taste:  Squash, tobacco, burnt caramel with medium+ to high tannin  content.  Very dry astringent finish which lingers with an aftertaste (15+ minutes) that clearly exaggerates the raisiny aspect of the tobacco notes. Physical/Mental Effects:  alertness, but not an overwhelming caffeine flush.

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

Tried this Assam for the first time about a week ago. Then brewed some this morning. I really like this tea, it has an earthy caramal note that I love. Although oolong is my favorite, I think I will have to add this as one of my favorites.

Nice. In the morning I prefer quite strong teas – this is one of them. Very malty and ever so slightly sweet. Lovely with sugar (DH tells me).