Formosa Fancy Oolong Ming Xiang (620)

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jim Marks

From TeaGschwendner

A fine and robust representative of Oriental Beauty or Dong Fang Mei Ren, a specialty of northern Taiwan. The Ming Xiang is heavier than its Formosa counterparts, a rich amber in the cup with a smoky depth that contrasts with sweeter fruit notes.

Preparation: Two heaping teaspoons per 8oz cup of filtered, boiling water. Allow to brew 3 minutes.

About TeaGschwendner View company

Oh how I love Formosan oolongs. Toasty, roasty, sweet, nutty goodness.

The problem, of course, is that now I’m craving shu mai and the soonest I could have any is this Saturday.

Jim Marks

Second steeping was sweeter and less roasty, toasty without getting into the gross, floral sweetness of a “monkey picked” (osmanthus scented) oolong.

Jim sent me a sample of this a long long time ago after I told him that I liked my oolong teas to taste like chinese restaurant tea. I thought I had logged it but I guess not. I know I’ve had some of it before now, so I don’t know why I didn’t log it! I found some of this remaining hidden in the back of my tea drawer. It seemed like the perfect choice for reading a book with a cat in my lap.

This brewed up pretty light, so I might not have used enough tea leaves (2 tsp). Despite how light it was, I could still taste a beautiful oolong with a touch of maltiness and nuttiness. It has no astringency. The color of the tea is exactly as pictured. I like it!

A great every day oolong. Smoky, rich, nutty, but doesn’t have those unique and rare attribute of teagschendner’s other higher-end oolong offerings. This is what I usually expect from a darker-oxidized oolong.