Earl Grey (No. 69)

Edit tea info Last updated by Oolonga
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 12 oz / 355 ml

From TeaGschwendner

A blend of the finest Black Teas heavy with first-rate natural bergamot oil. Even the Earl himself would be smitten by the bold character of this classic.

About TeaGschwendner View company

Again today, great Earl Grey, fantastic for the morning-work

TeaG’s signature Earl Grey- the most popular tea in their Chicago shop, they told us back when we lived in Chicagoland. I must admit it’s just about the perfect winter afternoon drink, and now that we live in Houston I’m missing the excuse to indulge in these. This is so smooth that the black tea doesn’t create that awful dry mouth astringency delivered by some black teas/earl greys. I’d actually say this is just about the perfect Earl Grey and I don’t think I’ve tasted a better one, even at Tea G’s Earl Grey tea tasting event in Chicago. Thankfully Tea G does mail-order on some of its items.

A nice splash of soy milk makes me happy.

I must have gotten a bad batch or something. It had a strong chemical flavor that was nothing like bergamot. Tried a second cup with less steeping with the same result. Threw the bag in the trash.

gmathis

Some teas just aren’t worth trying to salvage, but I always hate having to pitch one.

It just won the category in the World Tea Championship, and I used it to smoke a pork loin. It’s the most fragrant Earl Grey in the world, and makes a fabulous flavorful tea. But in this culinary experiment, it created a sweet, citrusy smoky flavor. Pretty amazing.

I thought this was pretty good. There’s one slight problem with it—a problem shared by many earl greys I’ve tried with the exception of Lipton’s Imperial Earl Grey and some British one I haven’t logged yet—something about the floral element of it tastes too lavender-y to me. In the German version I’ve got in the pantry, I’ve found it to be a much bigger problem than it was in the case of this tea. The bergamot in this case blended right in with the tea base, and there was no bitterness. Lipton’s Imperial Earl Grey doesn’t taste like lavender or ever have that peppery element I’ve experienced in some bergamot-containing teas, and I still think it is my favourite earl grey, but I’d probably put this one second. It’s kind of weak, though. It’s a bit like the second steeping of the Lipton. Longer steeping could change that, but I didn’t want to get bitterness, so I heeded the recommended few minutes. Good with sweetener and no milk.

Tea #23 from Considering a new TTB
I’ve been fighting off yet another cold the last few days so I’ve been waiting something comforting. Earl Grey is always my default whenever I’m sick, tired, or it’s cold and rainy out; today happens to be a day when all three of those conditions are met. I thought spring was on it’s way, but we’ve been alternating between snow and rain since I woke up. This isn’t nearly as strong as many of the EGs I’ve had. It’s bold without being overpowering, slightly astringent, but not bitter, and has a somewhat drying affect like most EGs. This tea isn’t my favorite, but it’s a pretty good all around classic EG which is just what I need when I’m sick.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Cavocorax

I agree – EG’s are quite comforting. I hope you feel better.

MissLena

I love EG’s and EGC’s when it’s raining out, or rain/snow, I usually crave them when the weather’s like that actually. Good choice! Hope you feel better soon!

I tried hard to kill this. I did not succeed.

So, when I first got it, I under-brewed it, because I hate bitter tea. It tasted great…not nearly as thick with the bergamot as an Earl Grey I tried recently from elsewhere.

THEN, on my next brewing, I put it in to brew, and then got distracted and forgot about it, and let it brew for close to 10 minutes. IT CAME OUT FINE! No gross bitterness that I could detect.

An Earl Grey that I can abuse and still have it be drinkable? Yes, please. (Also, it’s supposed to have won awards…I’m perhaps not that fine-tuned in tea drinking yet, but from me it wins an award for being indestructible.)

Boiling 8 min or more

Quite a strong bergamot flavor

I am a big fan of this tea – a bold and robust Earl Grey! A little astringency but no bitterness at all. The citrus aspects of the bergamot are much stronger than the sour rind notes – works quite well with the black tea. Both the dry leaf and the brewed tea have a strong and delightful aroma. This is a very refreshing tea!

This has to be the best earl grey I’ve ever tasted. Its bold and robust flavor can be increased/decreased to your liking. I am a huge fan