Japan Gyokuro (720)

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Gabriel

• “This is an absolutely lovely tea. I don't want to use specific words to describe it because each word that comes to mind does not do this tea justice. I prefer big black teas with lots of smoke...” Read full tasting note
    Doulton 255 tasting notes
  • “This is a very yummy green tea. Distinctly Japanese, the flavor is primarily hay, artichoke, and seaweed - I realize that this description might not sound as good as it tastes. There is a little...” Read full tasting note
    Harfatum 59 tasting notes
  • “Always delicious and always refreshing, Great hot days. I always get this iced extra strong. It is even better that I get this FREE since I am the Mayor of my local TeaGschwendner on FourSquare. Yay!” Read full tasting note
    RachanaC 429 tasting notes
  • “I tried this for the first time a few days ago and if I had rated it then, it would be close to the very bottom. After reading up on gyokuros, I realized that my water temp was probably too high...” Read full tasting note
    mrawlins2 1014 tasting notes

From TeaGschwendner

The advent of spring heralds this elite “Jade Dew” tea that is entirely produced by hand in a boutique setting in the Aichi Prefecture. The emerald leaf takes on a lustrous, splinter-like appearance after being subjected to full shading under trellises for several weeks. Intense chartreuse cup, with rewarding notes of seaweed and honeydew melon. A brief second infusion is possible.

About TeaGschwendner View company

This is an absolutely lovely tea. I don’t want to use specific words to describe it because each word that comes to mind does not do this tea justice. I prefer big black teas with lots of smoke and lots of flavor. When a subtle tea wins me over like this, I am really moved. I’m going to invest in more of this, knowing that it’s a tea for a special and wonderful occasion.

RachanaC (Rachel)-iHeartTeas

I too enjoy this one a lot. Try it iced and a little strong. AMAZING!

This is a very yummy green tea. Distinctly Japanese, the flavor is primarily hay, artichoke, and seaweed – I realize that this description might not sound as good as it tastes. There is a little bit of umami or mushroomy flavor, which makes the tea more craveable. There is only a bit of astringency on the trailing end of an occasional sip.

The package suggested eating the used leaves, but I ate some of the leaves dry. They were pretty tasty. The leaves have a sweetness to their smell and are very tender. Just one or two is enough to give you a pretty good bit of flavor. Try more than a few at once and it may be too intense for some, but I enjoyed that too. The used leaves were also nice to eat, though much more mild.

Multiple steeps work all right, the flavor stays nice. No tannins taking over or anything like that, but the flavor isn’t really enhanced by it. I am at my third steep now, and it’s pretty muted but still enjoyable. There is a lingering sweetness after each sip.

I don’t really have anything negative to say about this tea. I have not had many Japanese greens recently, but this is my current favorite green tea that I can name. At close to $.50/gram, it was very pricey, but I wanted to try a Gyokuro and was not disappointed.

Stephanie

Great note! It’s good to see you branching out unto green teas!

Iced 0 min, 15 sec

I tried this for the first time a few days ago and if I had rated it then, it would be close to the very bottom. After reading up on gyokuros, I realized that my water temp was probably too high which resulted in a nasty cup of stewed grass clippings. I watched my kettle today and pulled the water off the heat when it first started to steam, before it started to slightly bubble. I let the tea have a short steep and TAH DAH!! Success. This tea says it has notes of seaweed and honeydew melon, which I totally get but luckily my cup is on the honeydew melon side of things. It is a very light, but full-bodied tea that is truly interesting. I rather like this and plan to see how many infusions this will allow – as long as I don’t mess up the water temp again.

I love japanese green teas and especially Gyokuros. The one from Teegschwendner is amazing! Nice earthy and green flavor, maybe a hint of spinach, smooth and soft. The color of this tea in the cup is an amazing dark green and a pleasure in itself. The smell is rich and full. This tea calms body and mind.
It’s one of the best Gyokuros I’ve had so far, a recommendation to have in the cupboard!

love this tea. Bright, light green elegance with a nice sweet taste.

Ein herrlicher Japan Grüntee. Weich und fruchtig. Eben Umami

A beautiful Japanese green tea. Soft and fruity. Just Umami

teeleidenschaft

<3 ja umami! ;)

This tea is a calm Japanese green. Getting a light vegetal aroma (spinach-like). Very subtle, alongside a lightly citrus background (between a under-ripe peach and an clementine). The taste is equally as light. Chartreuse in color. Not as creamy as some other Japanese greens I have partaken in, the Gyokuro’s body has some lingering astringency that dries the mouth as it coats the mouth (unami); however, there is little if any briskness (pucker). Overall, this tea is pleasing with a mellow flavor and medium body (fuller than what you encounter with most greens).

(Caution: brew at 60°C)

Color: A brilliant, seemingly impossible chartreuse. One of the prettiest green teas I have seen. Seems to almost have a luminescence to it… I considered turning off the light to see if I could see it… but thats crazy, right? The brewed leaves hold a brilliant green color, closer to fresh leaves than most.
Aroma: Fresh and vegetal with classic hints of cut sweet grass, seaweed and honeydew mellon.
Taste: Mimicking many, if not all of the flavors on the nose, the pallet is light and yet has a mysterious richness that lingers unlike a common green tea or even a noteworthy one. In addition to the classic sweet grass clippings, honeydew melon and seaweed a touch of fresh hay and a very illusive but clear note of sweet potato sends this green tea over the top. Wonderful sweetness that gives way to a ridiculously long finish with a very mild and extremely pleasing astringency that haunts you for an uncommon amount of time. This is truly an imperial drink.
Mental/Physical effects: Slightly heady, clear and focused and relaxed after 8oz… after 16oz this increased and by 32oz (16 on 2nd infusion) Cha zui had crept in.
Notes: Produced by hand in the Aichi Prefecture… one of the finest green teas I have ever had. 2nd infusion was quite good, slightly softer but still amazingly present.

175 °F / 79 °C 2 min, 0 sec 7 g 16 OZ / 473 ML

My favorite Green Tea! One of the best green tea that I can find here in Brazil. It has a delicious flavor of Prunus persica var. nucipersica. Water temperature: 55 to 60ºC. Infusion time: less than 2min. It’s possible to prepare this tea twice, using the same leafs.