China Lapsang Souchong - 581

Edit tea info Last updated by Bibi

• “It's a nice surprise when you find something at the back of the tea cabinet you forgot about. (I guess I can start hiding my own Easter eggs soon.) The initial fragrance on this is smoky and...” Read full tasting note
    paulmtracy 141 tasting notes
  • “Quite possibly my favorite type of tea. Its has this comforting smoky aroma that is like no other. The taste is bold, smoky, and earthy. A truly amazing tea. Nothing better than sipping on a cup of...” Read full tasting note
    purematcha 5 tasting notes
  • “Smokey...Smokey...SMOKEY!!! This tea delivers just what it says. Like a campfire but better and safer to drink. A very rich flavor. What scares me most is my 3 yr old daughter tried it thinking...” Read full tasting note
    RachanaC 429 tasting notes
  • “Beautiful smoked black tea from Fujian Provence. A very different tea experience, but one well worth having and often. The pine smoke aroma brings you to a campfire which seems naturally paired...” Read full tasting note
    Parsifal 12 tasting notes

From TeaGschwendner

Legend has it that this intense, smoky Black tea from the Fujian Province was the result of an accidental drying of the leaves in haste over pine fires. The rejected tea eventually ended up being traded to the Dutch, who sang its praises and requested more. Thus, this unforgettably pungent, smooth tea came into purposeful production, and worldwide admiration.

About TeaGschwendner View company

It’s a nice surprise when you find something at the back of the tea cabinet you forgot about. (I guess I can start hiding my own Easter eggs soon.)

The initial fragrance on this is smoky and very slightly acrid but with no pine or resinous aspects. The clean smokiness is retained when brewed.

The flavor is astringent yet this tea possesses a subtle sweetness in a lingering aftertaste. The important mouth-watering smoke quality is present but it doesn’t overpower the tea as a whole. This is actually on the light side for a lapsang.

I had forgotten how much I like this one. I’ll have to move it towards the front of the cabinet so I don’t lose it again.

Quite possibly my favorite type of tea. Its has this comforting smoky aroma that is like no other. The taste is bold, smoky, and earthy. A truly amazing tea. Nothing better than sipping on a cup of hot Lapsang Souchong on a cold winter night.

Smokey…Smokey…SMOKEY!!! This tea delivers just what it says. Like a campfire but better and safer to drink. A very rich flavor. What scares me most is my 3 yr old daughter tried it thinking she wouldn’t like it and would stop asking me for it she in turned decided she did like. My plan back fired but still simply amazing.

Beautiful smoked black tea from Fujian Provence. A very different tea experience, but one well worth having and often. The pine smoke aroma brings you to a campfire which seems naturally paired with the mildly astringent cooked squash notes of the black tea. Traditionally served with milk, but I rarely do that as its just great on its own.

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

this Lapsang Souchong from TeaGschwendner seemed very weak to me

Smokey but not undrinkable! Maybe a tad stronger than BTP’s Lapsang.

This tea has a strong smokey smell before it is steeped. I didn’t like that aspect of it, but tried it to see how the smoke would transfer to the cup. It did so more than I liked. I’ll finish this bag, but it is not a tea I’d purchase again.

A delicious smoky flavor that I adore. Often called “campfire tea” or that it tastes like a cave by friends, this is a crowd favorite and one that I also deeply adore on many occasions.