Golden Tippy Yunnan

Earth, Malt, Smoke, Wood
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

From Tealeaves

Aroma:Rosewood overtone.
Palate:Sweet, somewhat spicy with a low-tannic acidity.

This limited-edition blend is made up exclusively of the most highly prized Yunnan, sweet and slightly spicy with low acidity.

About Tealeaves View company

Thanks to Nicole for this sample.
I drank this one this morning while fixing breakfast. It was a pleasing first cup of the day.

Another Yunnan from (who else?) Nicole. The leaves definitely have a lot of gold in them, mine are almost all golden. So that’s a good sign! :) I can’t comment on the dry scent because mine kind of smell like Maple Moose Chai, hah! Which is my fault, not Nicole’s. I did my usual Yunnan method – 3 minutes at 200 degrees.

Aw, man… The aroma is very earthy and woody with smoke undertones. Sad face. Another forest floor Yunnan! The taste is basically the same as the smell – earth, wood, and smoke with some malt. I guess leaf color isn’t everything! Kind of disappointed by this one. :(

Flavors: Earth, Malt, Smoke, Wood

While this is woody and spicy and without bitterness, it is an overall disappointing cup. I can get Yunnans I like much better, with much more depth of flavor, for less or equal price from other companies. It’s not awful enough to not drink but I can tell it will be a long time before this gets to a sipdown.

First cup was at work. Filtered water, probably around 190F and for 3 minutes, then 5 minutes. Second cup was here at home with unfiltered water just off boiling for 3 minutes, then 5 minutes. I’ll keep trying with some different parameters, but for now there just isn’t much there there to this tea and it won’t be the first or even fourth thing I reach for when steeping a cup.

boychik

Maybe gongfu is in order

Nicole

I think I’ll try that method this weekend.