Assam #8

Edit tea info Last updated by Derrick

• “Malt, sweet potato/roasted notes, hint of a floral note, and red fruit notes meet my nose. This tea smells more intense than the last time I made it. I used more leaf using about 1.75 TSP for 225...” Read full tasting note
    yyz 346 tasting notes
  • “I ordered a sample of this tea, and it was large enough for me to have at least two cups and give a coworker some too! Nice! My coworker loved this tea, as I thought she would, because it's super...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 479 tasting notes
  • “This was my tea choice at work today. Really surprised at how much the leaves unfurled, reminded me more of an oolong than a black. This was good, quite enjoyed it all day. It was very forgiving...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 697 tasting notes
  • “Cards and tea travelling teabox Oh i am loving this one. Talk about gulping hot tea down! While this smells similar to some of the teas from TTC and a few from Stacy (Butiki) this one IS...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4726 tasting notes

From Tealux

The Assam #8 is grown in central Taiwan with an Assam tea plant. The Yuchih area, near Sun Moon Lake in central Taiwan has been growing and experimenting with various types of black tea for many years and are now developing some excellent teas. This is a straight Assam, whereas Red Jade is a cross between Assam and a local wild strain.

About Tealux View company

Malt, sweet potato/roasted notes, hint of a floral note, and red fruit notes meet my nose. This tea smells more intense than the last time I made it. I used more leaf using about 1.75 TSP for 225 ml. The liquor is a a nice medium, orange red. The tea tastes smooth with sweet undertones. With floral fruity notes with a hint of cream dominant over malt and roasted notes, citrus/malt notes more present in the aftertaste. A pleasant cup for mid afternoon.

I ordered a sample of this tea, and it was large enough for me to have at least two cups and give a coworker some too! Nice! My coworker loved this tea, as I thought she would, because it’s super malty. For me, I enjoyed it, but wanted something more than malty, something more complex. Maybe I’m just hard to please! Ha! Btw, sipdown!!

This was my tea choice at work today. Really surprised at how much the leaves unfurled, reminded me more of an oolong than a black. This was good, quite enjoyed it all day. It was very forgiving to the wonky steep times being at work. This is a really nice, everyday black tea. I don’t think it’s really special, but there’s not much wrong with it either.

Cards and tea travelling teabox

Oh i am loving this one. Talk about gulping hot tea down! While this smells similar to some of the teas from TTC and a few from Stacy (Butiki) this one IS different. malty, sweet honey fruity deliciousness.

Scheherazade

I liked this one, too. Black beauty indeed :)

Definitely one of my new favorites. Didn’t know what to think when I first tasted this. I haven’t tasted a non-flavored black tea before. I didn’t have much time to think of how it tasted because a really intense wave of nausea/pain came upon me. But I’ll definitely have to buy more of this since it’s so good! And then I can write a proper tasting note (: Thanks, Virginia , for the sample. Turns out you threw a few Tealux teas in :P But hey, I ain’t complaining-you’re broadening my tea horizons xD

TheTeaFairy

I love this assam, and this is one of my favourite straight tea supplier ;-)
(Hope it made you feel better…)

Funny thing, I started writing a tasting note for Butiki’s Premium Taiwanese Assam before remembering that this was what I chose after momentarily grabbing the PTA and changing my mind. I thought it smelled different. And…dare I say it? Better. Don’t get me wrong, I drink PTA almost every day and I love it.

Tonight, I need some comfort. I really need to unwind, and stop thinking about everything and just drink tea. The aroma of my cup is especially sweet today, with raisins, caramel, molasses and brown sugar all coming through. The taste is representative of the aroma, with the addition of sweet potato and malt. I really forgot how good this is. The flavours are nice and strong, and although they meld together perfectly, they are very easily distinguishable. Bumping my rating.

I opened samples of two different Tealux Assams last night to compare, and was immediately reminded all over again why I love Assam so much. There’s so much variation between different varieties that it would be almost impossible to get bored of it, and the flavour is always so, so good.

This one reminded me strongly of Butiki’s Premium Taiwanese Assam, both in appearance and scent. That would make sense, I suppose, as they’re both Taiwanese in origin. This one has the same long, thick, twisty black leaves, and it’s insanely fruity to smell.

I gave this about 4 minutes in boiling water, and the resulting liquor was a golden brown with hints of almost ruby. It smells sweet and malty, and these notes carry through into the flavour. To taste, there’s a strong element of dried fruit — raisin particularly. There’s also hints of sweet potato, and the tiniest smidge of grain.

I’d have to compare this side by side with PTA to be more certain of their similarities, and to know which, if any, I prefer overall. This was a delcious cup, though. Black beauty indeed!

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp