Milk Oolong | Jin Xuan

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea
Floral, Milk, Sweet, Vegetal, Bitter, Butter, Cream, Roasted, Tart, Toast, Creamy, Perfume, Caramel, Vanilla, Burnt Sugar
Edit tea info Last updated by Anlina

• “So much new tea! The order I placed with Teavivre two months ago finally arrived, along with my official second order from Butiki. To think if I had withheld myself for another week or two I...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 507 tasting notes
  • “I opened my sample bag and I have never smelled a tea so sweet...like candy!! I was surprised to read on the bag that they do not do anything to flavor this, but grow it in a specific way to make...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1518 tasting notes
  • “Ok... I'm super behind on writing notes. I blame my recent addiction to Final Fantasy for that, haha. Anyhow! Notes will commence. I randomly picked this tea to try last night, and was...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2596 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to *OMGsrsly* for the sample! I should have been paying more attention while I was drinking both steeps, but I was distracted by school work while drinking this so maybe that dulled my...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 911 tasting notes

From Tealux

Milk Oolong Tea produced a light yellowish liquid with milky sweet aroma and smooth and sweet lingering taste. Milk Oolong Tea is a very special hand processed tea from Taiwan. Milk Oolong Tea is produced from tea leaves at certain time, temperature, altitude, soil conditions to get the milky silky texture. Our Milk Oolong Tea is naturally processed and not scented. This particular tea leaf was produced by farmers who placed in the top third, in the category of oolong.

About Tealux View company

So much new tea! The order I placed with Teavivre two months ago finally arrived, along with my official second order from Butiki. To think if I had withheld myself for another week or two I could’ve tried that delicious caramel tea Stacy just put up. Next time. Only when I’m down to 50 teas.

Anyways, that puts me back to just over one hundred teas again, despite my best efforts to swap away large quantities this week. It’s like starting all over again. at least I have tiny samples that I can drink up and check off to make me feel better tonight.

This one is from OMGsrsly and it smells amazing in that sour, milky, sweet way that rich floral green oolongs have. If someone told me I was drinking Quangzhou Milk Oolong from David’s Tea right now I would just nod my head in agreement. I can’t discern much of a difference, although this one tastes and smells almost fruity. The finish and the aftertaste are sweet! I thought I was crazy for picking up fruit but Tea Sipper mentions pineapple notes so I’m not alone!

Fjellrev

Aww, you can’t keep up with the tea. My DTT and 52teas came in within two days of each other and I feel like I’m at square one again too, yet I’m also itching to make another Butiki order. Sigh. It never ends.

I told you…it creeps up on ya. Just have to put your foot down at 200 lol

CHAroma

I have 142 teas in my cupboard right now, and I don’t think it’s going to hit 50 for about 3 years at the rate I’m going. LOL!

Charoma – you’ll hit a point though when it’s too much and start sipping down as quickly as possible to get to a more manageable state. At least, that’s what happened to me when i hit 300. However, there are ppl like kittenna where apparently 800 isn’t overwhelming lol

CHAroma

Oh, I definitely want to get it down to a manageable state. But I honestly can’t drink more than 1-3 cups of tea a day. And I always add to my stash before I should. So, it’s just a never-ending problem of having too much tea. Of course, there are worse problems to have in life. So, I count myself lucky. ;)

first world problems – too many cups of tea to drink :)

CrowKettle

My brain cannot comprehend 800 teas. kittenna is a force. lol

I wish I had more tiny samples that I could finish off most of my tea is 2oz or over and the rest is stuff from Verdant, Butiki, and Red Leaf, that I could easily finish off but I want to savour. I’ve dedicated weeks to drinking certain teas. :/

yeah i’m not sure how i’m going to tackle the stuff i have that’s 1.5oz+ i’ve got a bunch of those. really want my cupboard down to 1oz max of things

I opened my sample bag and I have never smelled a tea so sweet…like candy!! I was surprised to read on the bag that they do not do anything to flavor this, but grow it in a specific way to make this so sweet.

First steep // 4 min // I set the leaves free in my new infuser! The leaves are pretty big and a nice jade green color. The first sip, I was surprised at a pineapple flavor! Not as much of a milky taste as I would have expected from such scented leaves, but still sweet and buttery. The color is a pale yellow

Second steep // 3 min // This was still juicy sweet pineapple and not so much milk. But it is so good!

Third steep // 3 min // This one is more of a floral and a bit of pineapple. It’s nice to see these leaves actually are LEAVES. Sadly, I think when I took the leaves out of the dipper infuser before, they were still mostly little bundles. These almost filled the entire infuser.

Overall, a very nice oolong, especially for the pineapple flavor. I wouldn’t mind getting two ounces of this one.

Ok… I’m super behind on writing notes. I blame my recent addiction to Final Fantasy for that, haha. Anyhow! Notes will commence.

I randomly picked this tea to try last night, and was pleasantly surprised. I’m pretty sure it would fall into the category of flavoured milk oolongs, although it claims not to be, because the milkiness was quite strong. And pretty enjoyable. It was quite a delicious mixture of savoury oolong and creaminess. I’d happily drink this again, although would compare prices with others first (since I seem to be not terribly picky with regards to milk oolongs – they’re all pretty delicious!)

Thanks to OMGsrsly for the sample! I should have been paying more attention while I was drinking both steeps, but I was distracted by school work while drinking this so maybe that dulled my senses.

The first steep was like your typical green oolong, but again, maybe because I wasn’t paying enough attention? The cup was gone before I had a chance to stop and observe.

But the second steep was noticeably more buttery. There was a touch of milkiness but it wasn’t as prominent as other milk oolongs I have tried in the past. Actually, if I didn’t know this was a milk oolong before tasting it, I probably wouldn’t have even guessed that it actually is.

Oh god, I have a meeting with the visiting distinguished scholar from another university in 45 minutes and I’m terrified. I actually have her book on how to conduct quantitative analyses so it’s a little intimating to meet the person who wrote it. And she’ll probably be asking me about what I’m taking into consideration for my thesis, methodology, etc, so the butterflies are going crazy at this point. :/

Kittenna

Ahahahaha, I love that you posted a note on this tea at practically the same time as me! :P

Kittenna

Also, I’m surprised that you didn’t find it super milky. It was very strong for me.

Fjellrev

Ha! There’s definitely something going on with your brainwaves. And that is weird. I’ve had it twice and both times I found the milkiness rather weak.

OMGsrsly

I’ve only tried this one and the one from DavidsTea, and I think I preferred the one from Davids. Not really my thing so far.

I’ve been meaning to write a review of this tea for awhile. I kept drinking it, but couldn’t decide what I was going to say. I really wanted to do a side-by-side comparison with Della Terra’s oolong creme de la creme, so I just did!

Boy, they are different. At first, I noticed that Della Terra’s is more sweet and Tealux’s is more vegetal. Then as I kept drinking, I decided I liked Tealux’s more! What?!!! I was in love with Della Terra’s. What happened? I think that the sweetness in Della Terra’s got more annoying as I sipped it along with Tealux’s. I guess Della Terra’s is good when I want a sweet milk oolong, but if I want something a little more savory, Tealux’s is better. Is Della Terra’s flavored? Their packaging says not, but now I’m not so sure. Interesting. Oh, and btw, another winner from Tealux!!

Cavocorax

That’s interesting. I just bought some from Teavivre, but I enjoyed Della Terra’s too. I went with the unflavoured version of their milk oolong just to see what the difference is. I’m not even clear on how that works, but… experiment times!

Yep, I like this one. Again, it’s amazingly milky with just a bit of that green grassy seaweedy flavour that I’m coming to associate with oolongs. Since I had a disaster with my Cuppow lid this morning, and had to dump my tea out before I wore it all, and I’m studying at home today, I’ve decided to work on steeping one tea as many times as possible.

Steep 1: I’d still prefer to steep less than 1 minute, but I don’t have a timer that does seconds. I bet there’s an app for that. :)

Steep 2: 45 seconds. Better than the first steep, because I found a timer app. Yay! It’s kinda caramelly, kinda milky, sweet, and has a little grassiness.

MissLena

If you have an android, search tea timer, a cute one with a green teapot will come up that does seconds and chimes when the time is up :)

OMGsrsly

I found one for my iPhone – Binary Tea Timer. It’ll be useful for laundry too, since I can save timers. :)

MissLena

Awesome! Happy you found one :)

The scent of the tea itself is a classic oolong, with a strong, creamy, melted-buttery goodness. I like to brew it hot and strong, and only drink it once the leaves have all unfurled. The “milk oolong” flavor is not overpowering, it is delicate and perfectly balanced. This is a great tea.

An old favourite and still the best milk oolong I’ve had to date. Used up my the last tsp from my old stash from a year ago and it’s STILL good. I have a new stash I ordered on my last Tealux order though so no worries about running out.

Flavors: Butter, Milk

Cheri

Sounds delicious. I love milk oolongs.

Oh, yum. So first of all, the scent of the dry tea is ridiculously sweet and creamy. It smells like some sort of candy, and makes me seriously question the notion that there are no flavourings involved in this tea. The leaves are very tightly rolled little balls. I used a generous teaspoon for 8oz of water, and that came to about 4g. After several steepings, the leaves had completely filled my little infuser basket. I got a 1/3 c. measuring cup and was able to get all the leaves to fit in there, but it involved a little bit of squishing. Crazy! A lot of the leaves come with a bit of stem attached, which isn’t very obvious in the dry form, so the first time I looked at the steeped leaves I was like “where the heck did all these stems come from??”.

Anyway. The tea liquor is quite a pale yellow, and in the first couple of infusions it has a very milky fragrance; after that it gets milder and more floral. The flavour is amazingly milky in the first infusion especially, but underneath you can tell it’s quite a green oolong – it’s light and sweet and completely lacking in astringency or bitterness. I’m on my… 5th? I think? infusion and it’s starting to get bland so I think I’ll stop (also, that’s a lot of liquid! I’m going to be peeing all night as it is). I steeped for 2min initially, the added 1min for each subsequent infusion. Lovely.

Flavors: Floral, Milk, Sweet, Vegetal

Well now……just…..what? How does tea do this? How does it taste like milk?!?!!?? I had my boyfriend smell the bag (the bag which says there is nothing else besides oolong tea leaves in there) and he looked up at me with this strange face and was like….“Why are you buying baby formula tea???”

It smells like milk and tastes like a milky green tea latte kind of deal. I rather like it! I’ve been looking forward to trying a milk oolong for quite a while now. That, of course, means that I have no idea how this holds up in comparison to other milk oolongs. I only know I’ll greatly enjoy drinking the rest of my sample packet ( and my boyfriend will too)!

ETA: I forgot to mention that I thought I’d brewed it all wrong at first. My timer went off and the “tea” still looked just like water. It is probably the lightest-colored brew I’ve seen.

Flavors: Milk

TeaBrat

some milk oolongs are flavored…

The Cookie Lady

I remember reading that somewhere but this one doesn’t list flavoring as an ingredient. I’m wondering if the flavoring has to be included in the ingredients? I don’t know.

TeaBrat

Your best bet would be just to ask the seller directly I suppose :)

Kittenna

A good comparison of flavoured/unflavoured is to try the two from Teavivre, which can give you an idea of what each tastes like. If it’s really milky, it’s probably flavoured. If it’s more of a creaminess with a floral background, it could be unflavoured. I personally prefer flavoured, and don’t frankly care that they are, because I enjoy the profile, haha.