Blue Unicorn Reserve

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by scarlettdoom

• “4 spears used for 375 ml. On the sip there is a note that reminds me strongly of grape flavour. Fruity sweetness. I'm detecting a white tea-type astringency note. Slight buttery tone. Second...” Read full tasting note
    Rarity 449 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! Soooo again, no recollection of who let me try this one, I'm assuming *raritea* based off the notes on this one but if not, sorry! So this one? Tastes like not much of anything to me. ...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4830 tasting notes
  • “The smell inside of the bag is... cumin? Coriander? Clove? WTF? It smells like the hills of Sri Lanka in this bag! 3 spears for 200ml This takes a while to steep. I can still smell the curry...” Read full tasting note
    Rashad 76 tasting notes
  • “This tea is confusing me. The shape of it is pretty cool. I put three spears in my perfect mug to steep. They take multiple steepings to unfurl. The first cup I had didn't taste like much, but it...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 504 tasting notes

From Tealux

Fair Trade Certified, Organic, & Biodynamic Oolong Tea.

From the famous Biodynamic & Fair Trade Idulgashinna Tea Garden come these visually captivating spears of cassis, cinnamon, gold, and silver tips, resembling the mythical unicorn’s horn. This hand crafted tea is carefully hand-rolled and twisted into spears. Each finished cluster is slightly more than 1 inch in length. These partially fermented leaves produce a delicate, pale liquor that is exceptionally sweet and clean, with champagne undertones. The tea can be steeped multiple times, each revealing new complexities.

About Tealux View company

4 spears used for 375 ml.

On the sip there is a note that reminds me strongly of grape flavour. Fruity sweetness. I’m detecting a white tea-type astringency note. Slight buttery tone.

Second infusion at 6 minutes, 300ml. Has more of a plum fruity taste on the sip. Slight hints of smooth (almost creamy) black tea taste. I’m reminded of the wheat-like taste I find in certain tea. Slightly licorice-like sweetness.

Bonnie

These are nice brewed in a glass using only 2 or 3 for a couple minutes (not 6!). There shouldn’t be astringency when brewed with less time. This is a green tea with flavor that reminds me more of a darjeeling (that grape flavor).

Kittenna

Ooh! I need to try my packet of this. How many spears were in your bag? Didn’t count mine.

Indigobloom

hehe tea spears :P

Bonnie

Butiki used to carry this as their blue nettle tea. Some of you might remember it. Green tea from Ceylon with a very nice flavor. I still have some.

Kittenna

I’m not entirely sure it’s exactly the same thing. Could be, though. This one is listed as an oolong, not a green. I tried a sample from Butiki, but IIRC I didn’t brew it correctly :(

Sipdown!

Soooo again, no recollection of who let me try this one, I’m assuming raritea based off the notes on this one but if not, sorry! So this one? Tastes like not much of anything to me. I’m thinking this is maybe too subtle for me today and my taste buds are sort of off, but I didn’t realize it with the stronger teas I’ve had today? I mean its dead smack in the middle of its tea. Ill have to pick up some more of this sometime and see if I get anything out of it later.

The smell inside of the bag is… cumin? Coriander? Clove? WTF? It smells like the hills of Sri Lanka in this bag!

3 spears for 200ml
This takes a while to steep.

I can still smell the curry spices, maybe a little cinnamon. The flavor is like butter and honey but very subtle, and there is a very distinct ceylon flavor on the back end. It’s yummy but very light.

I got 3 good steepings out of it.

My Friend Rashad

After reading the other reviews I’m wondering why nobody mentioned the curry spice smell, it’s the most present aroma in this tea for me.

Stephanie

Interesting

Kittenna

My bag of them doesn’t smell like curry (but I haven’t tried the tea yet).

Terri HarpLady

Interesting! I don’t think I’ve tried this one…yet!

My Friend Rashad

Mine smells like curry spices, I cannot imagine why.

Terri HarpLady

Who can say! :)

This tea is confusing me. The shape of it is pretty cool. I put three spears in my perfect mug to steep. They take multiple steepings to unfurl. The first cup I had didn’t taste like much, but it did taste like an oolong. I just wasn’t sure what kind of oolong. I thought I was getting roasty notes, but then another sip tasted more like a green oolong. I’m in my second steep, and it’s kinda stone fruity, similar to a Formosa oolong I tried once. It’s not bad, but I can’t say for certain whether I’d pick some more up. Good thing sample sizes at Tealux are generous, because I’ll definitely want to try this one out again.

Bonnie

These should be a green tea not an oolong and Butiki used to carry the tea from an organic grower in Ceylon (Sri Lanka). It’s called Blue Nettle Green Tea. I thought it tasted like a fruity black tea, closer to a Darjeeling. Tasty!

This is such a pretty tea. The spears are made up of what look like mulitcoloured strands — I can pick out light and dark green, mid brown, and a creamy yellow. I followed the recommended parameters and gave two large-ish spears 4 minutes in water cooled to around 180. The resulting liquor is pale yellow-green. The leaves have a mild grapey scent.

To taste, this is really fairly mild. It’s the second mild oolong I’ve tried so far today, so it just goes to show that not all oolongs are overpoweringly awful. I’m reminded most of all of champagne — there’s a deep grape-like flavour with a mild fruity/floral edge. It’s very easy to drink, although it’s another one that’s reminding me more of a white tea than anything else. I feel odd saying this about an oolong, but I’d really like a stronger flavour. Clearly my tastes are changing!