99% Oxidized Purple Oolong

Oolong Tea
Char, Dill, Roasted, Vinegar
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Sipper

From Tealux

99% oxidized purple oolong. Full rich brew that delivers a dark purple infusion with solid notes of cinnamon, musk, and amber. A rare treat from Sumatra, Indonesia. This tea can be steeped multiple times.

Water Temperature: 206 degrees
Caffeine Content: Medium Bold
Steep Time: 3-5 minutes

About Tealux View company

Another tea I picked up from Tealux, woo! Figured I’d get a start on this one since I’m splitting the sample package with Raritea.

Anyhow! The tea just looks like a dark oolong or black to me; I never would have guessed that it’s a “purple” tea at all. It brews up kind of brownish, but not all that dark. When I took a sniff of my mug downstairs, all I could smell was charcoal, which didn’t impress me.

I now have let the tea cool down as per usual, and took a sip…. this stuff is awesome!! It’s deliciously sweet, with a bakey dark oolong note but MUCH more sweetness than I’m used to. A honey sweetness, not rock sugar. And with definite oolong flavours. This is certainly a surprise – I had kind of written this one off once it smelled all burny. Sure, I like burny, but that hadn’t been what I’d been expecting. So I’m stoked that it tastes this good :D I’d definitely pick it up again… it’s very interesting! And yummy. Satisfies cravings for a good solid tea as well as cravings for sweets :)

ETA: I think I saw this in the note from Tea Sipper as well: the second infusion isn’t great. I did just eat, so to be fair, that could be influencing my tastebuds a bit, but I’m really not tasting too much anymore. Just a sweetish, very lightly flavoured dark oolong. Perhaps I should have gone with a longer infusion (I went with 2.5 min). Great first infusion, though!

Kashyap

‘purple’ is a designation for the leaf varietal. Originally developed as a drought resistant species, the purple leaf has a dark purple to scarlet-violet veins running along the underside of the leaf and the rumor is that is has similar chemical compounds to other purple plants like Acai and purple kale.

sipdown! this was one from the great canadian travelling teabox that i saved so that i could try it later. today is later! I really like this one! It’s like a dark oolong that could almost be coffee like but isn’t’. No smoke to be found in my cup so that’s lovely. Instead it’s delicious…and suddenly all gone? oopsy haha

Terri HarpLady

I hate when that happens!

Calla

Im trying this one now and I quite like it, can’t put my tongue on how to name the flavour, but I like it alot.

Sipdown no. 92, another one from Sil.
This is a sweet roasty charcoaly tasty cup of yum!

1 tablespoon for 375ml

Scent is plum-sweet, leathery and slightly mineral.

Mild, hint of mint flavour (hopefully not from cross contamination of other teas). Slight charcoal flavour. End of sip reminds me of milk. Plum sweetness. Dark chocolate hint.

Second infusion at 4 minutes. Hint of violet floral flavour.

It is really chilly here in TO, perfect for taking beastie down to the ravine for a nice long hike. It’s so peaceful and beautiful there. I guess it was too cold for other dog walkers, since we had the park and ravine to ourselves.

I made steep 4 of this tea when I got back. I’ve had this tea before, and from my notes it looks like I didn’t like it very much the last time. This time around I’m enjoying this a lot more. Roast and charcoal are predominant, goes well on a cool summer day that feels more like autumn. Steep two had very strong mineral notes. Steep 3 and 4 less intense charcoal, but very satisfying and warming roasted flavour.

I guess age mellowed the really intense charcoal that I recall from the last time I had this tea. Thanks to Dexter for the sample!

Well, these leaves aren’t purple and the steep color isn’t purple, so I have no idea where the purple comes from. The steep color is really a light brown. The leaves in the infuser look even blacker than they did dry… very glossy & delectable looking! This is kind of like the charcoal tasting oolong I had the other day, but the taste of this one is better and more complex. I can actually tell this is an oolong. It’s a very full flavor and apparently this has a lot of caffeine. Tealux has a caffeine meter on their packaging and this one is higher than most of the teas I’ve tried from them. The second steep isn’t as tasty as the first one… it tastes more like charcoal. It reminded me of a less-nice campfire with something burning in it that isn’t very good to sit around. Yikes! I’ve tried a few dark oolongs the past few weeks and I don’t think I’m liking them very much. The first cup would get a higher rating though.

Reserving judgment on this one. The first infusion (which I may have over steeped) was CRAZY smoky, almost offensive in how smoky it was. The second infusion is MUCH better. Dark rich, nutty, woody oolong. I really like this second steep. Next time will start with a shorter first infusion and work up more slowly. All in all I think I will be friends with this tea once I work out my preferred steep parameters.

So this tea, right from reading the name, I was stoked to try it out. And it didn’t disappoint. Thus far I could say that this tea is one of the number 1’s from the Great Canadian Travelling Tea box. Such a wonderful idea, it has opened me up to new teas. I really want to get my hands on more of this wondrous creation. I consumed this tea on Oct 2 & 3 2013. It was a marvelous 2-day event :)

Dry leaf: Dark, like super dark oolong leaves, with kind of a purple-y tinge to it, which I would then deduce, hence the name purple oolong.

Steeped: from a first glance, the water appears to be brownish with a purple tinge. The taste was just PHENOMENAL. Just saying, I was soothed and entranced by this mystical tea. I guess I could describe it as a kind of woodsy taste, maybe just ever slightly bitter and sort of smoky.

Re-Steep 1: This time around it was slightly more subtle, yet still soothing. The only difference? It was slightly sweeter the second time around :)

Re-Steep 2: Lighter than the steep and re-steep. The scent is just so yummy and the taste is yet again subtle. The aroma of the tea is spicy and becomes even more sweet.

TheTeaFairy

Nice review, I liked this one lot too!

Calla

Yeah, this one is one of my faves by far _

With the dry leaves in a warm gaiwan, this purple leaf oolong from Tealux smells very heavily roasted with a hint of vinegar. My only experience with purple leaf tea has been with a Kenyan purple oolong that had a nice plum and berry kind of flavor but was easily over or underbrewed, getting a dirty or bland taste if you went much over or under 170F (I have no idea why this temperature is the sweet spot, but it is the one the vendor recommended and I tried many others to ensure this was the best). The tea was fussy. I also had a purple tips loose leaf raw puer from that same vendor and it had a very heavy woody tastes that was simply not for me.

Not really sure what to expect from this Taiwanese version of purple tea, the smell is priming me for sort of a Wuyi Oolong experience.

The brewed tea has about the same color as the Kenyan purple oolong I had. There’s a slight rosey tint to it. Where most oolongs would be yellowish, orange, or even greenish, this one has more of a peach/pink hint to it from the purple tint of the leaves (caused by high levels of the antioxidant anthocyanin).

The taste is just what I expected from the smell! It is really similar to Sea Dyke brand Shui Xian, a heavily roasted Wuyi oolong you can find for a really low price at Asian grocery stores. There is a great deal of roast flavor along with just a hint of dill. There’s a good deal of char taste like you’d taste on the edges of pan-fried blackened food. It has a bit of a salty finish. If there is any sweetness in this tea it is barely detectible.

Repeated infusions yeilded more of the same flavor, but stronger.

I didn’t find the flavor particularly enjoyable. If you like really roasted flavors you might.

Flavors: Char, Dill, Roasted, Vinegar

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 45 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Parsifal

What a shame!! I would like to try it because the review is intriguing if not slightly disgusting… haha.

Lion

I wish I had more! I’d send you some. I haven’t had a purple leaf varietal yet that is impressive. The Kenyan Purple Sunset oolong (from Butiki Teas) was better than this one, but not particularly intriguing. Its flavor comes off really mild and kind of sweet and woody/nutty like rooibos or honeybush.

TeaTiff

It is so interesting how we all taste things differently. I had this tea back in the spring and remember tasting deep chocolate. Dill and vinegar how interesting.

boychik

i really like purple teas of Dehong fr Yunnan Sourcing.

What Boychik said :)
I’ve really enjoyed all of the purple teas I’ve gotten from YS

boychik

Thanks to you Terri I’m hooked

Terri HarpLady

Happy to contribute to your addiction!

TeaBrat

I have a purple oolong from Art of Tea, it definitely does have a roasted flavor as well.

Lion

TeaTiff, I think the whole concept of tasting notes is really subjective, which is really the entire reason Steepster is here for reviews rather than just having one written description from the vendor. If there was one correct set of flavors present that we’d all detect we wouldn’t need the reviews.

It can be both fascinating and frustrating when people’s notes vary widely. What’s really the most odd to me is that I find if my friend Amanda and I write separate reviews of the same tea on our own sometimes there’s an overlap in descriptions and sometimes they are really different, but if we sit down to have a tea together, we seem to agree on the notes we’re getting.

I think somehow certain qualities of the flavor can slip your mind or you can find them impossible to describe, but if someone makes a suggestion you didn’t think of while you are able to still try the tea, you can make the association and say “Ah, that’s it!”

Terri HarpLady

I totally agree with you on that! :)
Also, sometimes tastes & smells trigger associations in my head, to foods, colors, instruments, etc. Other times I guess Im not as ‘open’ (like when allergies are prevalent)

Lion

Yes! I get those other associations sometimes too, especially with colors, not always related to the color of the tea itself.

Welcome to the dark side.

The leaves of this oolong are some of the darkest I’ve seen. And so is the brew, a beautiful deep amber.

This type of leaf opens a little but never really unfurls. It’s good for a multitude of steeps!

This is as roasty as it gets!

There’s a lot of charcoal in this cup, no smoke though, for me it’s a huge distinction.

It’s musky and spicy, hints of cinnamon and clove.

Strong burnt and sweet caramel, bitter chocolate all in one sip. Like many heavy roasted oolong, there’s a lot going one here.

The fourth steep is spectacular, it’s loosing some of the bitterness and the sweetness has intensified. The chocolate is very persistent.

I’m a fan…decadent, a dessert tea.

TeaTiff

Ooh, I am remembering this one. It was almost like drinking an oolong mixed with hot chocolate! This one was definitely a book and blanket tea:)

TheTeaFairy

Haha! Yes, if I could, I’d spend the rest of my life this way…a blankie, tea, bookie, and puppy at my footy!
(sorry’ had to make it rime)

Dexter

Weird – I thought this was CRAZY smokey – like almost offensively smokey.

TeaTiff

Smokey, that is really interesting. I love how all our taste buds are so different.