Naked Pu-erh

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Dexter

• “Thank you *Dexter3657* for this sample. Yixing teapot – 370ml - (Enough for two) Tea weight – 10g Water temp – 95°C Steeping times – 15 second increments This tea has a dark, smoky,...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1082 tasting notes
  • “My first plain (unflavored) pu-erh. Smells ok in the bag, a bit musty, a bit smokey, nothing too offensive. I gave it a quick rinse (sorry couldn't bring myself to try it), all I smelled was...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 729 tasting notes
  • “I brewed this up in my tiny tea pot the other day. I did an initial 30 second steep and had to dump it. Holy moly. I'm sure some people would like that first steep, but it was far to smokey for me....” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1464 tasting notes

From Tealux

This Naked Pu- Erh organic tea is aged for five years before being released, and hails from the Yunnan province in China. It is a popular drink among tea enthusiasts in both the Western and Eastern worlds.

USDA certified organic, this tea has a wide range of benefits and is renowned for lowering cholesterol, helping to loss weight and helping to contribute to general wellness – but don’t just take our word for it! Naked Organic Pu- Erh is recommended by TV’s Dr. Oz for its positive health effects and delicious flavor.

Delivering a deep red infusion with a fragrant sweet yet woodsy aroma and mild earthy depth, this Naked Pu- Erh had a medium to thick body with complex floral notes and a lingering hint of honeysuckle on the finish.

Pu- Erh tea is an excellent alternative to coffee, with bold caffeine content and no bitter taste even after steeping multiple times. Brew for 2-3 minutes to unlock the flavors of your Aged Naked Pu- Erh tea.

About Tealux View company

Thank you Dexter3657 for this sample.

Yixing teapot – 370ml – (Enough for two)
Tea weight – 10g
Water temp – 95°C
Steeping times – 15 second increments

This tea has a dark, smoky, wooden, straw, damp earthen scent. An overall pleasant medium strength Pu Erh.

Flavour is smoky and smooth with sweet wooden highlights. Non offensive and of medium strength. Flavour remains consistent over three steeps.

It’s a nice Pu Erh but nothing special. Would be perfect for an everyday Pu Erh or as an introduction to it.

My first plain (unflavored) pu-erh. Smells ok in the bag, a bit musty, a bit smokey, nothing too offensive. I gave it a quick rinse (sorry couldn’t bring myself to try it), all I smelled was dirty socks and fishy. Ewwwww, at this point I was thinking, people drink this stuff. Let it steep for about a minute – less than what was recommended on the package. As it was steeping, it lost a lot of that “offensive” dirty sock smell.
First sip – initial impression, wow is this weird/strange/unusual. It’s definitely musty, woody, maybe a hit fishy still, but I like it. I am very worried that I am going to need some serious pu-erh lessons (should hide the credit card worried). I’m not going to rate this until I’ve tried the next steep, but I think I am going to be a HUGE Pu-erh fan!!!

Second Steep……Mmmmmm, this is really good. I really don’t know a good pu-erh from an ok one. For a beginner like me this was great, a bit of a rocky start, but I just didn’t know what to expect. The fishy was totally gone on the second steep – maybe I didn’t rinse it enough that I got a little bit in the first steep. I’m rating this really high, it is so unusual, yet so comforting that I am really excited to try it again, and to try other Tealux Pu-erhs that I have samples of.

My Friend Rashad

Try a sheng (raw) puerh from Verdant. What you have there is a shu (ripe) puerh, with shu puerh you run the risk of that fishy compost smell that reminds me of shiritaki noodles. They aren’t all like that but, well, good luck. Buy samples not ounces.

Dexter

I’m just in shock at how fast this went from ewww, as the first rinse water hit the leaves, to wow is this strange, to I think I’m going to like it.
LOL I understand what you are saying, about trying others, I’m really intimated by Pu-erh, seems there are thousands to try. I’m going to be a pu-erh fan, just not sure how much the credit card is going to like the exploration. Agreed, buy small amounts until I learn what I like.

My Friend Rashad

You’ll like most of them. You love tea.

Dexter

I took your advice and I’ve ordered a sheng from Verdant (OK I also ordered a Shu to try one of each from them).

I brewed this up in my tiny tea pot the other day. I did an initial 30 second steep and had to dump it. Holy moly. I’m sure some people would like that first steep, but it was far to smokey for me. I then did a 1 min steep, and was very impressed. The smokiness toned down, and I was left with a dark brown-red tea with a lot of flavour, no bitterness, and practically no astringency. I actually quite like this!

Yesterday I re-used the leaves for another 1 minute steep, and although the tea was a bit lighter, there was still a tonne of flavour. I kept sipping it, trying to figure out what was missing. Cinnamon and orange, apparently! The only other dark (oxidized?) puerh I’ve had is Silk Road’s Golden Phoenix, so I associate the citrus and spice with the rich smokey flavours of the tea.

If you’re just getting into puerh, and aren’t sure about the smokiness, I’d recommend a white puerh, but if you’re willing to play around with the steeping a bit, this is a nice one that I think will take some flavour additions nicely. I’ll be adding some dried orange zest and pieces of cinnamon to some of this to try to recreate the flavours in my mind. :)