Butterscotch Potion

White Tea
Caramel, Peppercorn
Edit tea info Last updated by Kittenna

• “Oh wow this is good. This is _really_ good. *Amazing* even. What a lovely surprise... as I was having a rather low/crappy day and this just made it so much better!! I'm noticing an intense...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1329 tasting notes
  • “Looks like I'll be doing some tea-adding in the near future... Anyhow. This tea! Smells absolutely divine. Much like versions of Coconut Creme from various tea companies, but this doesn't look...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2527 tasting notes
  • “"A little weird tasting, but not undrinkable" says *TheTeaFairy* in her note stuck to the ziploc holding this 2-cup sample. Naturally, I have avoided it and tried all the samples she indicated were...” Read full tasting note
    Littleelle 276 tasting notes
  • “This tea is really interesting. Definitely not what I expected, but still good. When I first smelled the dry leaf, I totally noticed the peppercorns, but it was a little butterscotchy. I...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 609 tasting notes

From Tealux

One of the world’s most beloved confections has found its way into your teacup. Embrace the buttery warmth of this golden-hued white tea infusion as it dances on your palate and illuminates your soul.

About Tealux View company

Oh wow this is good. This is really good. Amazing even.
What a lovely surprise… as I was having a rather low/crappy day and this just made it so much better!!
I’m noticing an intense butterscotch note all through the sip and aftertaste, along with a slightly astringent white note. Also, it is very sweet, like eating a butterscotch candy. Seriously, I have that aftertaste lingering long after a sip. and now I’m sad that my mug is empty.
First infusion was beyond stellar. I’d rate it 95. Second was predictably weaker and less round in flavour so I’d go with 83… which leaves the true score somewhere in the middle! (since I can’t see a number as I move the slider).
There will be future orders of this. I am so in love, this potion has certainly worked it’s magic on me!

TastyBrew

Yum. This is going on my list.

Indigobloom

I’ll look for your review! :)

I can haz a try?

Indigobloom

Yezzzz of course! I think it may be a bit overly sweet for your tastes but only one way to find out :P
(it’s almost there for me, even out of those I add sugar to. Somehow my tolerance goes up with butterscotch and maple)

TheTeaFairy

Indigo, have you tried many teas from Tealux so far? I just lost it this afternoon and placed a crazy order with them. They allow sample purchases, their green and oolong selections drove me nuts, had such a hard time deciding!!

Indigobloom

Hmm, I think this is the second one I tried from them. But I have a bunch of other samples to go through. Btw the samples are pretty big. Enough for atleast 4 cups! Probably more like 6.

TheTeaFairy

Great, Thanks for letting me know :-)

Indigobloom

Enjoy! hope you didn’t get the Blueberry green one. That was nasty. though if you did, and love it, you can have mine LOL

TheTeaFairy

Thanks for the generous offer, but no I didn’t get that one, thankfully! it’s that bad? I have ordered a couple of flavoured ones, but mostly straight greens and oolongs… From the description, I have high hopes for them!

Indigobloom

It has something called Senna leaf in it, which is what I think threw me off. I’m excited to try the rest of my samples! :)

Kittenna

Ok, weirdest thing ever, I swear I had read a review you’d done of this tea comparing it to something else… and I disagreed and made a comment… but clearly I was wrong. I’m so confused haha.

Looks like I’ll be doing some tea-adding in the near future…

Anyhow. This tea! Smells absolutely divine. Much like versions of Coconut Creme from various tea companies, but this doesn’t look like them (there are peppercorns), nor is this supposed to contain coconut. However… it definitely tastes much like it. There is supposed to be cinnamon in here, but I’m not really picking up on it. Mostly I’m tasting a sweet, coconutty white tea. I suppose it could be the butterscotch that’s coming off as coconut… I’m getting a bit of a dark background flavour here though, that I don’t recall tasting with Coconut Creme. And, I feel like the peppercorns are coming through a bit. Similar blend though! I was expecting it to be more like DavidsTea’s Buttercream, which it isn’t (unless my taste buds/memory are misleading me, and that’s what it does taste like, not Coconut Creme!) Which is actually increasingly possible the more I think about it…

Regardless, I like this. A light, sweet, desserty tea. I’m glad I just have a sample though, since it’s pretty similar to something I have in my cupboard!

And thus begins my foray into Tealux’s teas…

ETA: Yep. I still can’t figure out which tea this reminds me of. One of those two. But, there is definitely cinnamon in here (noticeable in the second infusion), which is NOT in either of the other two. It was already obvious that it wasn’t an identical blend to either of the two I mentioned, just has many similarities. Good, though.

Kinda reminds me of Gold Rush. Or maybe that other mulberry Davids tea

Kittenna

Definitely doesn’t remind me of Mulberry Magic, I was getting more of a vibe from it like the other two teas I mentioned. Will have to try things together at some point.

Indigobloom

It’s been awhile since I had it, now I wish they still carried it!

Kittenna

Oh, hehehe, this is where you posted the comment, lol! Which tea were you referring to? Gold Rush?

Indigobloom

both actually!! but not really on the gold rush, if only bc it was so darn expensive

“A little weird tasting, but not undrinkable” says TheTeaFairy in her note stuck to the ziploc holding this 2-cup sample. Naturally, I have avoided it and tried all the samples she indicated were her faves. So tonight, after missing again, I thought to myself: self, I bet you will like the ones she hates. So I grabbed the so called weird tasting tea!

Don’t you know it, it’s not weird tasting to me. And it smells like butterscotch indeed. I did add honey because it wasn’t sweet enough for me. It smells faintly of chamomile but luckily it doesn’t taste like chamomile. It almost tastes milky too, I wonder which ingredient does that.

I wouldn’t call this an amazing cup — my goodness, I’d have to read my notes and find which teas I thought were amazing because lately I have found them all to be missing something. Maybe it’s me. I know it is. I haven’t been in the mood.

Great light amber colour on this, not astringent at 3 minutes with 190F water. It’s not a bad tea. I wouldn’t rush out and buy it or anything, despite the alluring name. Thanks again to the generous TheTeaFairy who sent me so much tea I’m still working my way through it.

TheTeaFairy

Lol, that’s funny…but we can say we have at least Phoenix Pearl in common :-)

Nxtdoor

I think we have a lot more in common.

This tea is really interesting. Definitely not what I expected, but still good.

When I first smelled the dry leaf, I totally noticed the peppercorns, but it was a little butterscotchy. I thought, what a weird tea!

I steeped some up today. I actually resteeped it too.

The package recommended 194 degrees for 3-4 minutes, but that didn’t match up with how I thought a white tea should be brewed, so I did my first steep at 140 degrees for 2 minutes. This resulted in a slightly weak cup, with the dominant flavor being peppercorn. I could taste a little cinnamon too, but to me, it was like they were trying to make butterscotch flavor with a combination of other flavors and it didn’t quite make it. Not sure if they actual put butterscotch flavoring in, but it does say there is added flavoring.

The resteep was different. I decided to go with the package directions, and it resulted in stronger flavor, and a darker brew. What was interesting was I got a lot more cinnamon and the peppercorn was toned down somewhat.

Still not sure it is really butterscotch, although I may have messed up the flavoring with my first steeping. Overall, it’s pretty good, and warming. Good with a little sweetener to make it more dessert-like. I can imagine this being very cozy when the weather is cold, unlike today. Ha!

I’ll freely admit that I bought this one because of the name. Butterscotch Potion. It just sounds so rich and decadent. I really like the smell of it, both dry and steeped. It does smell of butterscotch.

Taste-wise, it’s not as rich tasting as I expected it to be, but that could be operator error. I steeped it at 80C instead of the 90C that was recommended, mainly because I’d rather have a weak tea than an astringent one. I’ll try re-steeping at 90C later and see if that makes a difference.

It does remind me of some coconut white teas I’ve had, but there is that definite butterscotch taste that makes it unique. I was worried that the peppercorns would give it too much of a bite, but all of the flavours blend smoothly. I’ll buy this one again if/when I make another Tealux order (I have a LOT of tea to go through first. I wish some of my friends were tea obsessed so I could swap or split orders with them).

Another tea I’ve had for awhile and enjoyed many times but forgot to review. The brew temperature from Tealux says 194F. That seems just way too high for a white tea and I’ve been brewing closer to the 175F. Definitely has a smooth butterscotch flavour. The peppercorn is very faint and I only seemed to notice it when the tea cooled down more. It is just enough to add to the tea but not ruin the overall flavour. I’m not as experienced as some others on Steepster noticing the different notes but am working on it.

Flavors: Caramel, Peppercorn

I love tealux purely fir that fact that every tea I’ve gotten from them was good quality and fresh. Even the ones I didn’t particularity enjoy. This batch is no different. Everything from order smelled fresh and delicious, and the leaves were a great color.

Actual review: this tea. I don’t know if it taste exactly like butterscotch but to me this tea taste like a honey/cinnamon bun. Sweet without any sugar and just gorgeous in the pouch to boot. I love that it has a more delicate, vegetal base of white tea that keeps it light and refreshing. I steeped it overnight the fridge and not a hint of bitterness. It was also a hit with the family but this going in my “selfish” stash.