Imperial Mengku Pure Old Tree Golden Buds Tea

Edit tea info Last updated by TEALUX

• “I've been out of town for a few days playing gigs so I haven't had the opportunity to drink any real tea. I'll make up for that now. This tea is a tea lover's tea. Remember Sonic The Hedgehog?...” Read full tasting note
    Rashad 76 tasting notes

From Tealux

This is a spring batch of pure old tree black tea from Mengku area of Lincang in Yunnan, where it has one of the biggest acreage of old tea trees.

Well-selected the plump buds from tea plantation with altitude over 1200 meters high, adopted the traditional Yunnan gongfu black tea making process, this tea enjoys very deep floral/sweet aroma, rich taste full of sweetness with no astrigency at all; dense, thick & sticky tea liquid, with smooth & deep throat feeling, which is one obvious characters of old tea trees.

Tea tree: old trees with age average of over 150 years old; big leaf variety in Mengku, Lincang areas of Yunnan.

About Tealux View company

I’ve been out of town for a few days playing gigs so I haven’t had the opportunity to drink any real tea. I’ll make up for that now. This tea is a tea lover’s tea.

Remember Sonic The Hedgehog? Remember his friend Tails? This tea looks like a bunch of Tails’ tails. Golden and furry! They look like little dried fox tails. Dry leaf smell is kind of like a cross between cocoa powder, cardamom, and turmeric. The same goes for the steeping aroma but with cinnamon as well.

It certainly has some assam flavors, though I don’t know if it actually is an assam. It’s definitely more on the Chinese side of black tea flavor than the Indian side, but the assam aspect is there. It has a medium amount of maltyness, and medium thickness of texture. It’s floral but also caramely.
The flavors are complex but delicate. There’s a lot there but you really have to search for it. I like that in tea.

This is a very good Dian Hong. I am aware that there are some seriously mind blowing Dian-Hongs out there, but this one is nothing to sneeze at. Sticky furry buds ya’ll.

EDIT: Since it’s cooled off a little it’s a much thicker creamy texture.

EDIT #2: It becomes more floral on the 2nd steep and much much more floral on the third.

Terri HarpLady

This sounds really tasty! I also had a busy weekend playing gigs :)
It’s always nice to have awesome teas to come home to!

My Friend Rashad

Well, I bought an electric kettle to use on the road but I always forget to bring it. I bring tea bags but I never travel with the good stuff.

Rachel J

Ah, musicians who actually gig. I couldn’t deal and now exclusively teach. Much better for my state of mind. Hats off to you guys.

Terri HarpLady

I’m so heavily booked locally that I don’t travel much, although I have a stainless steel electric kettle for when I do. The biggest bummer of tea on the road is the terrible water you end up with.

My Friend Rashad

The majority of my gigs are out of state, and I go all over the country. I do bring tea bags with me but only for emergencies. It’s cool when I end up in places with great tea houses, but usually it’s tea from a coffee shop and their selection is never as good as mine.

My Friend Rashad

But yes Terri, water in some places is very very bad. Especially Cleveland.

and orlando