Wenshan Bao Zhong Reserve

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by TheTeaFairy

• “Another cupboard staple. I tell you, this tea is so refined... If tea had a gender, this would be a beautiful sophisticated mature woman. She would wear couture and just a drop of channel...” Read full tasting note
    TheTeaFairy 175 tasting notes
  • “*Thank you TeaFairy for sending me a sample of your favorite tea!* I tried to review this during the 'Steepster Storm' the other day...to no avail. Not letting me in by hook or crook! There was...” Read full tasting note
    bonniejohnstone 672 tasting notes
  • “I've got a bit of catching up to do from this afternoon as i'm finally getting a few moments. I'm doing my best to sipdown as many teas as i can in order to get back on track with my mid year goal...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4043 tasting notes
  • “This was in the amazing swap box that I received from *TheTeaFairy* awhile ago. She wrote on the package "My second favorite oolong ever". It's no secret that we have different tastes in oolong. ...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter3657 585 tasting notes

From Tealux

Wenshan, the range of mountains that surround Taipei in northern Taiwan produces a type of oolong that is twisted rather than rolled. It’s a crafting style that hearkens to an earlier time in tea making, and actually predates the rolled oolongs for which Taiwan is known. Called Baozhongs or “Pouchongs”, these teas are the lightest oxidized amongst Formosa teas – usually in the range of 5%-10% – and only lightly roasted to preserve their fresh, lush nature.
Our Wenshan Baozhong comes from Pinglin – where terroir and skilled craftsmanship combine to produce the most reputable teas. Unlike most Baozhongs on the market, ours is barely roasted – we prefer to allow the leaves to speak for themselves.

Harvested in April, this tea is smooth, sweet and enticingly floral, with a subtle hint of cane sugar and cream.

About Tealux View company

Another cupboard staple.

I tell you, this tea is so refined…

If tea had a gender, this would be a beautiful sophisticated mature woman. She would wear couture and just a drop of channel no.5. She would also cary along the scent of buttery French pastries that she would have picked up on her way home at a famous bakery.

Therefore, her «sillage» would present itself as slightly and delicately flowery, with big notes of decadent rich creamy butter and cookie dough.

That’s the imprint this tea leaves in my mouth.

Just nothing else to add.

gmathis

Dear Gussie, you are making my mouth water!

Amanda Wilson

My goodness that tea sounds delightful!

Fjellrev

Haha I think that is where I differ. To me, anyone wearing Chanel no. 5 would not smell delicately flowery to me. That stuff is so heady.

TheTeaFairy

Lol, Fjellrev, it was only to illustrate the high end side of this tea! That’s why I wrote a drop !! I know, way to strong for me also :-)

Fjellrev

Yeah yeah, I know haha. Just teasing. ;)

TheTeaFairy

Gmatis and Amanda, I have sampled a few other Baozhong before. This one is the best so far for me. I have received some in a swap that can’t wait to try and compare :-)

Thank you TeaFairy for sending me a sample of your favorite tea!

I tried to review this during the ‘Steepster Storm’ the other day…to no avail. Not letting me in by hook or crook!

There was one exciting day where I brought this tea to Happy Lucky’s for a side-by-side comparison with the Bao Zhong that they sell and serve there. Andy, Joe, Eric, Maggie, Sam and a few regular patrons were on hand. Aroma sets were used to extract full value from the leaves and the tasting was blind. A set on the left and one on the right with only Joe knowing which tea was which.

The Tea’s:

Left Light and slightly savory. There was a hint of sweetness. Quite smooth but no dryness or acidity. Light body overall. Hazy floral taste and aroma.

Right Pronounced floral aroma, rubbery…crocus, jujube. Sweet with a depth up front that rolls back slowly on the tongue. Sweet water, lingering floral. Interesting…makes me want to discover more.

Of the two, I chose the second as my favorite because it’s so interesting and has depth that makes me want to spend more time with the tea. I could spend time just on the aroma…or go on to any part of the tasting and freeze the moment for more reflection. Tea should be that life changing and lead to contemplation. When it happens in a crowd of people, that’s unusual.

Second tea was (tea on the right)… DRUMROLL…TeaFairy’s Bao Zhong (show’s what good taste we both have a-hum!)! Pat on the back for the great reveal! (So glad it worked out that way!)

I’m not that only one that loved her tea!

As things were winding down after the side-by-side tasting,a teashop regular and sweet young lady who loves old people like me…was keeping me from going home. She said that someone who works at the teahouse had something to tell me.
What could it be I wondered? So mysterious!
I waited…and pretty soon one of the tea servers approached and announced that he was officially seeing my young friend and that they both wanted my blessing.

How sweet! My blessing indeed! How old fashioned and delightful!

Tea and blessings! I couldn’t be happier!

Life goes on at the teahouse. People are falling in love and I’m the grandmother basking in the glow of their joy how blessed am I!

Message on a personal note…
I’ve been sick and apologize for the lack of reviews to anyone who has wondered. I mention this not for sympathy but because almost everyone knows somebody with an autoimmune disease or disorder such as mine. It’s only been a matter of months since there has been proof that fibromyalgia is a physiological and not a psychological disease. I’m only one of thousands that has had doctors belittle them as “needing counseling for anxiety” instead of realizing that the pain suffered was real.
If you know people like me with migraines, fibromyalgia, arthritis etc. they are not able feel good all the time. The disease throws you all over the place and you go along for the ride. It’s not emotional but effects the emotions. It’s physical…so understand and support them. http://c.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/steps-authentic-happiness-positive-psychology/2013/dec/29/fibromyalgia-solved-pathology-not-mind/
Preaching done!

jeweledthumb

I’m a fellow fibromite. This is a great discovery!

Bonnie

Yep. I’m so grateful not to have diabetes like my mom did and rheumatoid arthritis. Things could be way worse. So far I’ve managed not to take any drugs and bite the bullet.Hope that you do well. Tea helps me a great deal!

mrmopar

And she (Bonnie) is a great lady too!

jeweledthumb

@Bonnie: I’m doing pretty good. I manage to work full time and stay off pain meds for the most part. My worst symptom is getting run down very easily (migraines and IBS certainly don’t help)… but, I must say that tea definitely does help! My hands don’t hurt nearly as much since I started drinking a lot of rooibos! =)

Bonnie

Huh! Rooibos is in the bean family and I’m allergic to beans, potatoes and all nightshade foods. It began at age 58 acting like ibs and got worse. Hope you’ve followed elimination diets. When I removed the things that bother me I got rid of the ibs symptoms. Your hands feeling better might mean that you are sensitive to caffeine. There are ways to get around this.
mrmopar You sweetheart!

Mwaaaaah!

Roughage

Hands off, mrmopar, she’s mine! ;)

caile

As always, your posts are so uplifting for me!

Bonnie

Mrmopar and Roughage only fight over me because I’m old and far, far away. If they were close by…that’s where I’d be a cougar! (Their ladies would shoot me first!) All in jest!
Love my tea guys…they can be my tea pets any day!

mrmopar

Hah Roughage! I am closer and can get there faster! The Mopar can run! Well at least the car can.

Roughage

Curses, foiled again! :)

mrmopar

Yep and you need a passport and I don’t! LOL! We are a crazy bunch aren’t we!

Bonnie

OK you silly men…You really want my tea! I’m on to both of you! Both welcome…we’d have a blast! The teahouse already adores both of you ( oh…You thought the stories were one way here on Steepster….Oh no…I tell Steepster stories at the tea house).
All good though! King of pu and Lord of the Vikings!

TheTeaFairy

Back off, you big tough macho guys, you don’t stand a chance against Fairy Girl Power!!
Haha! You guys are so funny! But no jokes, Bonnie deserves all the love she can get, so let’s just stay united and get a Steepster group hug with her :-)

TheTeaFairy

Bonnie I,m so glad you truly loved this one, it has a real special place in my cupboard and I so wanted to share it with you…that sounded like a great and fun tasting experience!

Bonnie

So funny! Yes, Fairy Girl Power!

I’ve got a bit of catching up to do from this afternoon as i’m finally getting a few moments. I’m doing my best to sipdown as many teas as i can in order to get back on track with my mid year goal for July (100).

The TeaFairy sent this my way and it is delicious! and it’s a green oolong. But it’s refreshing and sweet and juicy and honestly? I’ll probably buy more later on when my cupboard is under control for those times when i really want a lighter tea. I’ve discovered that i often don’t like flavoured greens, but the occasionally straight green or straight oolong is what i want from time to time.

Thank you so much for sharing TeaFairy! The last little bit of this is of course off to Terri :)

Terri HarpLady

Thank you Sil & TeaFairy!

TheTeaFairy

Haha! You are both welcome, this one is outstanding, so glad I get to share it :-)

This was in the amazing swap box that I received from TheTeaFairy awhile ago. She wrote on the package “My second favorite oolong ever”. It’s no secret that we have different tastes in oolong. She enjoys the lighter more floral ones, I’m into the darker roasted ones.
I’ve been doing better with lighter oolongs lately, so was trying another one and hoping that trend would continue. Ummmm no not really. This one is too floral – the other two I’ve had recently were more green, less floral. I’m sure this is a nice quality green oolong, but it’s just not to my tastes.
Thanks for the sample TheTeaFairy.