PU-ERH MAPLE CHAI

Black Chai Pu-erh Blend
Maple, Spices, Wet Earth, Cinnamon, Clove
Edit tea info Last updated by TEALYRA

From Tealux

Ingredients: Organic 5 years aged pu-erh, black tea, dehydrated maple syrup, whole cream-caramel, ginger pieces, cloves, diced cinnamon pieces, cinnamon rods, white cornflower blossoms .

About Tealux View company

Oh, wow!

Maybe it was a mistake to share my sample of this with Heather Martin now that I’ve tried it because it is VERY tasty. For some reason the idea of maple tea didn’t really excite me and so I’ve had this sample sitting around unsealed for months. I only opened it yesterday because I was splitting it up for my swap on Wednesday.

But yes. I’m going to have to get some more of this if I reorder from Tealux (and no reason I shouldn’t? I really enjoyed their puerh blends!). This one has a nice mix of spices, but the maple just sorta settles in there and sweetens everything up. The earthy puerh is perfectly suited too by accenting the maple, without bogging it down.

Summary: It’s sweet, earthy, rich, and just a bit spicy. It makes me think of Autumn. Win!

OMGsrsly

Sounds good! I think it’s going on my shopping list… :) (Now, let’s see if they take Paypal.)

OMGsrsly

YES THEY DO OMG. Teavivre and Tealux tea shopping coming right up.

Cavocorax

Haha. Make sure you get the Tealux ones at least 15% off though. If not, wait? They do them every month or so, and you might be able to get a coupon if you sign up for their newsletter. I can’t remember for sure. I know I enjoyed a lot of their flavoured teas, but I think Sil and some of the ON people weren’t as impressed with the unflavoured teas. Just a heads up!

And teavivre? OH YEAH. I can’t believe I paid $4 shipping and it got here quicker than some of my US tea orders.

OMGsrsly

They do 25% off fairly frequently as well. Yay “free” tea money!

Cavocorax

That’s pretty awesome. I hope you find some you like if you haven’t tried them. The samples are decently sized.

Plunkybug

Can’t wait. Been craving chai lately!

Other way around…..we didn’t like most of their flavoured, but their unflavoured were ok.

Cavocorax

Whoops! Thanks for clarifying!

CrowKettle

This is going on my shopping list too. :)

OMGsrsly

They do an Irish Cream I really like for winter mornings, so is their white silver tips puerh, and their plain “Everyday Matcha” is decent and reasonable.

So, tealux teas are on for 25% right now: SCHOOL25
I think it’s good until 09/26/13.

/0\ – I’m sorta tempted…

their advertising makes me frown… “an additional 25% off” that implies that the teas are discounted and now i can get even more discount. Can you tell this is the kind of crap i’ve been dealing with at work? lol

OMGsrsly

I just saw that. But yes, they do have some problems with their advertisements. :) I’m totally ordering once I get some Paypal funds!

Cavocorax

Sil – I thought the same thing! So I checked the site for other sales this would be in addition to. :p

Oh this is tasty! Shared this with a friend tonight. We both really enjoyed it. She had hers plain and I had mine with milk and sugar. I would like to try brewing this in milk on the stovetop. I’d love to get a nice rich and creamy mug of this, especially on a rainy or cool night. Chai kick continues..

Thanks to Cavocorax for sparing me the last of her sample…it’s very delicious!

Cavocorax

Glad you liked it! I wasn’t super excited about it from the name (for whatever reason) but I loved it after I tried my half of the sample. :P I’ll definitely order more next time I order from tealux.

Plunkybug

Yeah, I liked it a lot. I find that pu erhs hold up really well to sweet flavours like caramel, maple, and chocolate. I think they cut through the rich earthiness and yet the earthiness of the pu erh adds a level of richness to the caramel, maple or chocolate.

Cavocorax

Mmmmm. You’re making me want some right now!

ERMAHGERD!

I got this as an extra sample with my recent order (they sent me 2 new pu-erh samples).
It smells soooo delicious, spicy, maple goodness!
The taste oh so divine. Probably the YUMMIEST chai I have ever had. The addition of maple makes it near perfection. This would benefit greatly from some added pure Canadian maple syrup.

hmmm may need to check this one out

Oh wow, this is not a tea I would dream existed but a friend sent me some and it smelled so appealing, it was tried at once. And it´s lovely – the earthiness of the pu-erh, the exquisite sweetness of the maple and a touch of spices. Really wonderful combination of flavours.

And just to say this maple tastes so much more natural and less fake than the flavouring in Oh Canada (not that I disliked Oh Canada, oh no. But this is better.)

Interesting! I like this but don’t love it. The dry tea smells strongly of spices – mostly ginger and clove. It’s interesting to try a “chai” blend that doesn’t have cinnamon dominating the spices! As it steeps, the earthy scent of pu-erh and a bit of maple add their scents to the spices. The flavours are actually pretty well balanced. You can definitely taste the pu-erh, the spiciness (I’m not really getting individual spice flavours, they all blend together pretty well), and just a hint of sweetness from the maple. Hang on, let me try the 2nd half of the cup with some milk and sugar. Hmmm… so the maple and the spices definitely benefit from the milk and sugar, but now the pu-erh base suddenly seems a bit out of place – I don’t usually go for “damp earth” flavours in my desserts, you know? I don’t think I’ve quite made my mind up about this tea yet.

Flavors: Maple, Spices, Wet Earth

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

I really want to like this one. It sounds so good, so I will have to come back to it again later.
It could just be that I got some stale leaves as I did order this off of amazon. The dry leaves are weak in scent. Maybe a faint whiff of clove and very little in the way of maple. There just isn’t much of a scent.
Brewed the clove scent is increased, not a lot though enough to make my mouth water. I can taste the cloves on the front with a tiny dash of cinnamon. The after note has a faint taste of maple, like the lingering aftertaste of a pancake breakfast.
I added about 1/16th a tsp. of stevia to this, which helped the maple notes on the end, but not enough.
I only brewed this with 1 1/2 tsp. leaf, maybe next time I will try with more.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Clove, Maple