Da Hong Pao

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by JustJames

• “scribbles, you are a hero among everyday folk! this tea is the classy little black dress that every woman has in her wardrobe, but with a twist: along with this elegant slip the accessory is not...” Read full tasting note
    JustJames 345 tasting notes
  • “I received this in a marvelous swap box from *scribbles*. Thank you so much!!! This is a nice dark oolong. It's really metallic to my tastes, that's not necessarily a bad thing. This isn't quite...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter3657 585 tasting notes
  • “This is not what I am used to drinking from a oolong tea. It doesn't have that strong rock/mineral taste that I usually associate with oolongs. That doesn't mean that I don't like this. I do. Quite...” Read full tasting note
    scribbles 179 tasting notes

From Tealux

Big Red Robe (otherwise known as Da Hong Pao) is one of the famous 4 Wuyi bushes from Mount Wuyi in the Fujian province of China. It has been given the “King of all teas” during the Qing Dynasty.

Da Hong Pao oolong tea is famous for its unique floral fragrance and specially Wuyi rock tea taste and fragrance. All Wuyi rock Oolong tea has its unique rock tea taste and fragrance, which the other Oolong teas do not possess the characteristics. The rock tea taste and fragrance can be described in the four aspects: aroma, cleanness, sweetness and animation.

Though our this tea is from Ban Yan areas, This rare and flavorful long leaf has been oxidized for a sweet and aromatic treat.The first infusion creates a pleasant orange brew with a unique fruity, slightly smoky, sweet aroma. The taste is rich and smooth emitting a subtle fruity aftertaste. An aromatic, sweet flavor lingers on the tongue well after the last sip. The appearance of its tea leaves in dry leaf form onsists of dark, mostly erect tea leaves yielding a subtle fruity aroma and a hint of chocolate fragrance. It is a perfect choice for any new Wuyi oolong drinker.

About Tealux View company

scribbles, you are a hero among everyday folk!

this tea is the classy little black dress that every woman has in her wardrobe, but with a twist: along with this elegant slip the accessory is not pearls or gold, but a cuban cigar. oh yes!

this is a simple black tea. almost purist but for the sweet, smoky taste of organic tobacco leaf. perfectly matched, beautifully balanced. it is not even remotely subtle with its caffeine punch, but it is very smooth.

thank you so much scribbles for sharing! i will meter this out and buy more when i’m done.

….. i wonder sometimes with the amount of tea i consume how it is that i sleep at all, lol.

Fuzzy_Peachkin

I love your description of this! :-)

JustJames

it was honestly what came to mind as i sipped it, lol.

I received this in a marvelous swap box from scribbles. Thank you so much!!!
This is a nice dark oolong. It’s really metallic to my tastes, that’s not necessarily a bad thing. This isn’t quite as smooth and gentle as some of them are, it’s a little rough around the edges. All in all a pretty good oolong.
I will have no problem finishing this sample. Dark oolongs always make me happy.
I did four flavorful successful steeps of this with no nastiness in later steeps. This tea had some nice staying power.
(Then I tried the other Da HOng Pao she sent me- tasting note to follow).

This is not what I am used to drinking from a oolong tea. It doesn’t have that strong rock/mineral taste that I usually associate with oolongs. That doesn’t mean that I don’t like this. I do. Quite a lot, actually. The flavour is deeper, and very familiar, but I can’t quite pinpoint what I am tasting. Sweet. Smooth. Pleasing.

Dry aroma is sweet, fruity and nutty.

Second steeping holds flavour well.