Jin Xuan Black

Baked Bread, Honey
Edit tea info Last updated by Dexter

• “I was curious, and I know I usually like Taiwanese blacks, so here we are. :) The leaves are big, rolled, dark, and very light (I measured out 2.5g and it looked like a lot of leaf!). They have a...” Read full tasting note
    smallstar42 212 tasting notes
  • “Incredible but I am the very first to review this tea. It is again a sample I picked out the huge swap box the kind Dexter3657 sent me. The box is so huge I generally do a blind...” Read full tasting note
    Ysaurella 405 tasting notes

From Tealux

Jin Xuan is a rare black tea from Taiwan, prized for its Oolong characteristics, surprising longevity and deep complexity.

Grown in the mountainous Alishan tea-producing district of central Taiwan, Jin Xuan (golden lily) Oolong is the most commonly produced tea from the region, making this black Jin Xuan leaf both unique and unusual. Harvested from only top graded leaves, Jin Xuan Black tea is produced from very long, full leaves with a tough hide, blended with the long twigs that give the golden colouration to the processed blend.

Composed of all of the best elements of the finest Oolong teas, Jin Xuan Black enjoys a distinctive fruity flavor and deep, rich aroma all of its own, which is richer and more roasty-smelling than regular Oolong teas.

Deeply sweet top notes melt into mid notes of subtle honey and a hint of fruit, with a viscous, sweet character despite its light mouth feel. The nature of this tea is fragrantly grassy and lightly floral, and our Jin Xuan black tea is selected from competition-grade offerings to ensure the premium quality and consistency of this unmatchable black Taiwanese tea.

About Tealux View company

I was curious, and I know I usually like Taiwanese blacks, so here we are. :) The leaves are big, rolled, dark, and very light (I measured out 2.5g and it looked like a lot of leaf!). They have a slight bread-y scent, and I was reminded of baked goods when I smelled it as it steeped. The liquor is lighter than I expected, both on colour and in taste. It is noticeably sweet, with very little astringency. I’m still reminded of baked goods – warm bread with honey, sugar cookies with cinnamon. This is definitely not a wake-you-up morning black tea, it’s more a mid-afternoon relaxation sort of tea. Very nice.

Addendum:
The second infusion was still sweet, but less like a bakery and more like an orchard, lol. Fruity and just a little bit floral. The mouthfeel of this tea is really interesting, “creamy” isn’t quite right, but very smooth.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Honey

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

The box is so huge I generally do a blind pick out…ramdom pick out…until a certain point ! I picked out first an assam this morning and I was like awwww no, not an assam this morning ! My second try was this Jin Xuan black and I am very pleased it was this one.

First I loved the leaves : long, rolled up, very dark. I tend to prefer plain teas with full leaves instead of cut ones.

The scent was not very expressive, almost absent.

Le liquor was amber, not so dark and its smell was typically Taiwanese, yes it was smelling exactly like a lot of Taiwanese teas. ohohohohoho I was quite interesting because I espacially appreciate when a taiwanese tea liquor smells so good.

Drinking it it was clearly a nice Taiwanese tea with dominant notes of honey and mature fruits. I liked the roastiness as well.

It reminded me a little Butiki Teas’s Taiwanese Wild Mountain black but with less body, less notes of honey and fruits.

While cooling the notes were growing and becoming even extrovert.
Butiki’s TWMB and this one are kind of cousin teas.
My preference remains to Butiki Teas but it is really nice to have met this one as well.