Yunnan Gold

Edit tea info Last updated by Auggy

From Teance

From Yunnan province which has cultivated tea for nearly 1,700 years. This crop is completely composed of gold tips produces a delicious, peppery, brisk, brew.

About Teance View company

Well, yesterday was an insane tea day – 7 different teas for me and multiple steeps of most of them. So that’s BIG for me. And I liked it. So I decided to carry over the tea bounty on to today. I’m not going to hit 7 – maybe 4 if I’m lucky – but still. Yay tea!

Brewed this up in my handy dandy ingenuitTEA using filtered water from home. I’m pretty sure that makes me a big ole dork, bringing tea water to work, but the water here is nasty and using bottled water makes my tea flat.

For some reason, the leaves smell of fruit. Some sort of berry. I think when I first got this tea, it was sitting up against a plastic bag of black currant tea so I’m guessing the smell soaked into it a bit. Which is weird. But at least it doesn’t carry over to the brewed tea. It smells comforting – kind of like dry grass plus a little spicy and bit of baking chocolate. Plus, I get to drink it out of Totoro so how can I go wrong?

jennlea

I bring filtered water to work as well so I don’t think your a dork. Or maybe that makes me a dork too…

Auggy

Yay! I’m glad I’m not the only one. The tea just tastes so much better!

Jillian

Plain tap water FTW! ;)

Auggy

I WISH I could drink the tap water at work. It’s really nasty. Anything less than almost freezing cold water tastes like you’ve steeped a sock in it.

Jillian

Yes, you’re in good company Auggy. :D

Yay for tea dork-dom!

takgoti

Indeed, the Overlords should consider changing the site header to A Tea Dork Community.

Fred

I tried something which I guess is similar from Tea Trekker called Yunnan Curly Golden Buds Dian Hong 2009 Pre-Qing Ming. I am not really a fan of most black tea but that tea was great. It tasted sort of caramelly sugary sweet. Is this what your version of Yunnan Gold tastes like?

Auggy

I don’t think it was quite rich enough of a sweet taste to be caramel. There was a sweetness to it, but it might have been from the sample being stored next to a flavored black sample (both in plastic). But the smell and tastes of the sweetness seemed to increase over time even though I put this one in a tin so I don’t know!

Nearly out of tea. Gearing up for a big order of known unknowns.

I have discovered that the key for the yunnan gold is to blend it with other leaves. This manages the sweetness well. Good options are TG’s malty black tea and, not surprisingly, a fermented pu-erh (which is also made in yunnan, and so, probably very similar leaves to the gold).

Meh. Pretty, tippy leaves, but not much flavor.