Chilli Chai

Black Chai Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Scheherazade

• “I wasn't feeling great last night, so I went for my ultimate comfort tea for a pre-bedtime drink. I've just recovered from a cold, but I think it might be coming back again, somehow. Anyway, I...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 680 tasting notes
  • “mmmmm thank you *Scheherazade* for this one! It was a bit overpowering in terms of smell when i opened up the swap, but luckily it didn't manage to contaminate the other samples that were along...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4041 tasting notes
  • “I like this one very much! With my first couple of sips, I thought, hmm... this is pretty good, but, where is the chilli? But, after those first couple of sips, the heat began to develop on the...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4224 tasting notes
  • “fact 1, i am not a chai person. or perhaps i am a chai person in training. whatever, point being, not really a chai person. fact 2, this cup is delicious! low on the flavors i don't like as much...” Read full tasting note
    shmiracles 712 tasting notes

From Teapigs

About this tea:
This chilli chai is a twist on our traditional chai, a recipe that has been the Indian drink of choice for centuries. Alongside the assam tea, cardamom pods, chunks of ginger, cinnamon and vanilla we have added flakes of chilli for an extra fiery kick. This chai is for those of you who don’t order korma and plain naan from your local curry house.

Taste:
A gutsy assam tea with exotic spices and an extra fiery kick at the end.

Try it:
Good on its own, a bit cooler with milk.

Good if you’re feeling:
In need of a little fire and spice in your life.

Ingredients:
Black tea, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom hull, cardomom seed, clove buds, chilli powder, vanilla

About Teapigs View company

I wasn’t feeling great last night, so I went for my ultimate comfort tea for a pre-bedtime drink. I’ve just recovered from a cold, but I think it might be coming back again, somehow. Anyway, I always find this tea warming and reassuring. I was too tired to make a latte, so I just brewed this as I normally would a black tea with a hefty dose of milk added. The slight heat from the chili helped to soothe my throat, and the combination of the spices and warm milk helped me to feel all warm and cosy again. For me, this really is comfort in a cup.

mmmmm thank you Scheherazade for this one! It was a bit overpowering in terms of smell when i opened up the swap, but luckily it didn’t manage to contaminate the other samples that were along for the ride. :)

I tried this one tonight and overall it’s a very pleasant chai. I’m not getting overly spicey from it, but it’s different enough from the other chai’s that i like to possibly warrant having more of this around in future. I also have another bag that i can try later this week to see how it goes if i let it steep for even longer. :)

I like this one very much! With my first couple of sips, I thought, hmm… this is pretty good, but, where is the chilli? But, after those first couple of sips, the heat began to develop on the back of the tongue and into the throat, providing a gentle burn. It isn’t TOO spicy, not so spicy that I find it overwhelming the other flavors of the chai. I especially like that I can taste the vanilla tones to this, which really adds a delicious contrast to the spicy heat of the chilli.

Very nicely done.

Missy

This sounds really yummy. Dylan particularly enjoys spicey things. I’ll have to check this one out. Thanks for the review.

Dylan Oxford

I wonder how this compares to the Seattle Spicy Chai from MarketSpice. It was so peppery that Missy couldn’t drink it.

fact 2, this cup is delicious! low on the flavors i don’t like as much and high on the ones i do. and the tea. i can taste the tea still! (i feel like chai spices usually over power the tea itself.)
thanks for sending these tea bags my way Scheherazade! i’m really really enjoying every sip.
also i do like spicy food. like, more than the average spicy food loving person. or so my boyfriend would agree.
(also salt. but i’m getting off topic.)
so just the mention of a curry house in the tea description has my mouth watering. dangit. where’s the takeaway menus?

Hesper June

I adore spicy chai’s! I might have to look into this one.

Hesper June

Ha! I just noticed this tea companies name! Love it, Teapig…that is what I am going to call myself from now on.

I have been raiding my mothers tea cupboards today to see what new tea’s she has got in for me and I found this little beauty.
I need a kick up the bum today to get me going and with a little luck this chilli chai may be just the thing.

Colour: Red with a gold glow.
Smell: Spicy with whiffs of cinnamon and cardamom being the strongest.
Taste: A nice typical chai tasting mix for the first few sips, you have the cardamoms zestyness, the cinnamons mild spicyness and the Assam tea’s depth. As for the chilli there is a slight ‘tingle on the toungle’ which is pleasant and thankfully not too over powering. A nice mixture over all.

When I pulled the new tea bag out of it’s box I did enjoy seeing it’s contents before brewing. The pyramid bags are easily see through and I noted seeing 3 cardamom pods, a few small chilli seeds and the wonderful black Assam tea shredded into little soldiers.

Now to sit back and welcome my chilli boost.

I was out shopping today and found this tiny little tea bar tucked away in a tiny little market in Manchester. They had 60+ teas, so it took me a while to decide, and I eventually settled on this one, since I’ve been dying to try it for ages.

This had a nice black tea base that supports the spices well. The chilli is very, very strong, which is good, and it adds a nice little kick to the back of the sip. I liked this, but I think the ‘chai’ bit could have been a little stronger.